Audio System For Audiophile Over Age 60, What Would You Buy Or Consider Buying?

I'm as discriminating as ever. This has more to do with my education [visual artist] and heritage [Japanese] than my age.
Hey, I'm not really talking about being discriminating. I just mean that after spending ungodly amounts of time on purchases in the past to get just the right item and/or the very best price, I eventually figured out that none of it is really all THAT important.

I don't have TV, but one day I saw this really cool car about four years ago and did not know what it was, though it had a subaru label. I was sort of in the market for a car, and it looked like it would fit my needs, so I googled Subaru and sports car and discovered it was a BRZ. I also noticed it was sold under the brand, Scion, which I prefer. So I spent about three hours reading articles, reviews, etc. and then test drove one and bought it. Then I moved on.

BTW, it has 115k miles on it now and I absolutely love it!

Regarding this thread, was the sheer length and detail of the OP that gave me pause. All of the questions can be answered on the internet in less time than it took to compose that. And when you couple that with the fact (yep, it's a fact) that most posters are just gonna tell you what they have and how much they love it in their particular environment, I consider most of that information, though interesting, not helpful in helping me make a purchase. I say that because often I will read the OP looking for help and realize that no small number of responders are so jaded by their love or commitment to their own stuff that they don't even notice that what they recommend violates some of your key needs.

And that above comment is not about this site. It is about EVERY site dedicated to things like hi-fi, musician equipment, photo equipment, car upgrades, you name it. But I think the musician ones are the worst. The brand fanaticism can be downright comical.

People love to recommend what they, themselves own, and will find any relevant hook to justify why buying what they own would be PERFECT for your situation.

And to be clear, I've been quite guilty of everything I mentioned above. It makes it pretty easy to spot. :)

63 here. My 'downsized' retirement system will include one of these integrated amps (in order of preference): Accuphase, Luxman, Yamaha.

http://www.accuphase.com/model/e-600.html

http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=54

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s3000_u/?mode=model

Not Bad Choices Here..... If I Had To ABSOLUTELY Pick One, I Would Like The "Accuphase E600". But I Do Like The Power Output Of The Yamaha A-S3000 (More Power For Better Quality Speakers. Today's Quality Speakers Require About 50 WPC At Least, But The Accuphase E600 Is Stable Down To 1 Ohm. I Might Be Drawn To The Accuphase E600 For That VERY Reason).

--Charles--

I have some years to go before the big 6-0 hits, but I have made some big changes to my system in the past few years. I essentially had the same system since the 1980s, with a couple of newer components here and there. But otherwise, it was all at the same level (upper mid-fi, like Carver, Hafler, etc.) and it was annoying me how much better other systems sounded. I decided that everyone was right--life is short. So, why not start upgrading while I had the opportunity?

I ended up getting a real universal player, a higher-end turntable with a Dynavector cart, a Conrad-Johnson preamp, a phono stage, and a Nelson Pass-designed power amp. I am working on interconnects, power cords and power conditioning (or regeneration) next, and my end game is to get the electrostatic speakers in the system, whether they are the pair I am refurbishing, or a slightly used pair of much newer vintage. I have some Vandersteen 2CEs in the system now and they are nice, but they are not quite the sound I'm after. Regardless, I have heard the results of each improvement I have made. It's all good. No regrets.

I still may go with a tube power amp (Conrad-Johnson, Rogue Audio, VTL, etc.). And I am looking at a newer network media player, since I could use the space on my rack taken up by the universal player that I never use the disc player in. Not quite happy with the turntable (sounds great, but build quality is "meh"), so I'll probably swap that out with a Clearaudio in a few years time. I want to get into a tube phono stage also, and have a few candidates on my short list.

The key to all of this? Buy used, buy smart, and take advantage of any of those rare outrageous deals that come along. I am patient--I've waited several months, or even a couple of years, for the right deals.

The key to all of this? Buy used, buy smart, and take advantage of any of those rare outrageous deals that come along. I am patient--I've waited several months, or even a couple of years, for the right deals.

I Totally Agree, "Wildcat".

I like how you think. I only wish I had your way of thinking when I was quite a bit younger.

--Charles--

I like how you think. I only wish I had your way of thinking when I was quite a bit younger.
There are few things I bought at list price, even back in the 80s when I first had a full time job. I would scour the pages of the audio magazines for the toll free numbers of all of the mail order dealers and call around until I got the lowest price. That is not to say I didn't make mistakes along the way. :D Back then, though, there weren't sites like Audiogon, US Audio Mart, or even eBay, and the few used equipment dealers around the country could only list their inventory in a magazine ad once a month, and by the time the ad was published weeks after it was submitted, it was outdated.

I think for many (maybe most?) of us, we would not be able to own the systems we have today if it weren't for the Internet.

I just turned 71 and am updating again after 8 years. Added a new Blu-ray player, a phono pre-preamp and am in the process of replacing the last 125 of 500+ laser discs. Next comes the HT processor, and then in a few years an OLED 4k display, when everyone is going crazy for the new latest 8K models. I;ll probably fit in a new Dynavector in the scheme of things, too. And I will still be adding lp's. I'd like to complete my Erich Kunzel collection, keep up with Black Dyke Mills and Grimethorpe Colliery brass bands, and a few other wind groups. I'm thinking about getting back into Dixieland. Finding recordings featuring Ray Charles Big Band he toured with back in the early 70's is a challenge. Just order some Nureyev DVD's and continue to look for Baryshnikov selections, too.

53 going on 83.
Old codger with a nice pair of speakers, in a large room without a clue about speaker placement.
c32c6d2eb726757b085a854881a5a8b0.jpg
Bill Legall from Pa?

the best system I have bought to help enjoy the music better, 3#,5#,10#,15#,20#,35# hand weights, a small weight bench with a 80#'s of weights on the bar.
Started stretching and working from the bottom weight and progressed upward, two walks a day 3 miles total.
Stopped drinking and started eating better, yes all this has made listening to music much better.
I am 60 now, I do not ache when I move or get up anymore, if I need a big speaker moved "K horn or bigger" I get my two wheel dolly and move it, vintage amps 80 and 100#'s not a problem ,I just clear a path and pick it up and go.
I had let myself become a physical wreck and told myself I was just getting old, an excuse for being lazy.
My stuff is in my bedroom and ready for use anytime, I'm no gym rat I don't go to a gym, remember that guy Jack Alane on TV when we were kids, he was the precursor to Richard Simmons he showed our moms how to exercise with a stick and can goods.
I'm no Charles Atlas and am not trying to be, I just want to be able to get up and do what I need to do and not ache, as a result I do not feel 60 more like 40 and so I enjoy the music much more and can still dance when the music moves me.
I will never own a remote, getting up and adjusting the volume is good for you besides all of my stuff is pre remote.
Just start with something and move along as you are able, you will start feeling better, I will say I get better boners now from loosing weight and getting healthy, but sex is still not like it use to be, It's only twice a week now and I do like naps more .

My last body-building competition was to celebrate 50. I'm looking for another one now at 63. When I had to quit working out this year because of mom going to hospice, then dying, I had broken 235 on the bench and 315 on the squat. I tell EVERYONE - the more you do, the more you CAN do. KEEP MOVING. It WILL be awhile before the 4430s are gone.

Leaving the rest alone for now, I would seek out the Hales Transcendace 8 speakers. Then, given the lack of replacement parts, I would seek out another pair to keep in storage. Beautiful design, and given the sound of my Concept Twos, an absolutely incredible sound as well. More than one person has said these are the best speakers they've heard at ANY price.

my 2 cents

1. what did you/anyone have 15 years ago? planning ahead for the next 15 means looking back, at least a little bit.
I had NO CD, SACD, etc and now I do.
2. what does the future bring. right now the "rave" is MQA
I've watched DolbyC, DCC, DBX, ANRS, double cassettes, S-VHS, SQ, QS, etc
3. what hardware for the future? DSD-64 now, MQA?, 24/192 LPCM, etc
4. recommendations without telling you what they listen to, is like asking what's the
best food in the world. billions of tidbits.

However the second golden age is coming. the first was when they dumped the LP for CDs. then
the CD players, the SACD players went UP in price.

the Second Golden Age is upon us - dumping CDs for streaming and MQA.

BUY all those CDs cheap and buy all those cheap CD, SACD players
(I remember my boss buying one of the first Cd players for over $1K)
and upgrade the caps and don't worry about 32x OS & DSD-to-LPCM-to-analog conversions.

just buy the latest DAC with the latest chip - dump when the "next" latest DAC with the "next" latest
chip gets announced.

Bob

my 2 cents

1. what did you/anyone have 15 years ago? planning ahead for the next 15 means looking back, at least a little bit.
I had NO CD, SACD, etc and now I do.
2. what does the future bring. right now the "rave" is MQA
I've watched DolbyC, DCC, DBX, ANRS, double cassettes, S-VHS, SQ, QS, etc
3. what hardware for the future? DSD-64 now, MQA?, 24/192 LPCM, etc
4. recommendations without telling you what they listen to, is like asking what's the
best food in the world. billions of tidbits.

However the second golden age is coming. the first was when they dumped the LP for CDs. then
the CD players, the SACD players went UP in price.

the Second Golden Age is upon us - dumping CDs for streaming and MQA.

BUY all those CDs cheap and buy all those cheap CD, SACD players
(I remember my boss buying one of the first Cd players for over $1K)
and upgrade the caps and don't worry about 32x OS & DSD-to-LPCM-to-analog conversions.

just buy the latest DAC with the latest chip - dump when the "next" latest DAC with the "next" latest
chip gets announced.

Bob
What's MQA

Master Quality Authenticated - yet another encoding method to add detail/more-data/music
to essentially CD redbook for streaming. With a proper decoder, your CD-redbook-quality
jumps up to 24/192.

Tidal provides this as will others. then all your DACs (unless they're firmware upgradable to add MQA) will
be obsolete.

having gone through the last few decades with dolby-B, dolby-C, dolby-digital, DBX, ANRS (JVC),
SACD, CD, S-VHS, etc - I am waiting for the second golden age of people dumping their CDs
for streaming and MQA.

Bob

What would I buy? What I did buy is in my signature, and I like it more every day. Don't recommend it to anyone else, though, just to avoid recommending what I own. In other words, buy what you want, ignore everyone else's opinions; your money, your ears.

60 yo here, my parents told me to turn it down, now my kids tell me to turn it down. I don't listen to music super loud, but a little volume never hurts. I'm going to need help from my sons bring the A400s down stairs to run in the main system. Yammy M, C & T-80.

Just Dave, a LOT has to do with your age, like an old car, parts stop working and more items need fixing. I will be 80 in 7 months. My primary pieces of listening gear are my recliner and my remote! Although my wife and I still live in our home, the day may come where we may move to a condo or an assisted living place.

My wife is not interested in listening to my system, she just does not care about music at all. We watch movies together, then she will head to bed while I will stay up for an hour longer with my living room system. I have to think small for the future. I may get a pair of KEF Ls50's or Q100's, but that's about as big as I will be able to go. Replace my solid and reliable Yamaha AS500 amp and Grace digital tuner with the Emotiva 100 preamp/tuner and my Audiomachine B1 Bluetooth receiver. Using my iPad as the Bluetooth controller. That would be very compact but listenable.

Oh yeah! Good open air headphones would also be worth picking up:music:.

Just Dave, a LOT has to do with your age, like an old car, parts stop working and more items need fixing. I will be 80 in 7 months. My primary pieces of listening gear are my recliner and my remote! Although my wife and I still live in our home, the day may come where we may move to a condo or an assisted living place.

My wife is not interested in listening to my system, she just does not care about music at all. We watch movies together, then she will head to bed while I will stay up for an hour longer with my living room system. I have to think small for the future. I may get a pair of KEF Ls50's or Q100's, but that's about as big as I will be able to go. Replace my solid and reliable Yamaha AS500 amp and Grace digital tuner with the Emotiva 100 preamp/tuner and my Audiomachine B1 Bluetooth receiver. Using my iPad as the Bluetooth controller. That would be very compact but listenable.

Oh yeah! Good open air headphones would also be worth picking up:music:.

Get the LS50 and a british amp like naim xs or exposure 3010s2... or the very amazing CXA80

Back
Top Bottom