Audio-Technica AT-33EV - worth getting now ?

I haven'theard the 33EV but I just bought an OC9 ML II a few weeks ago for $350. It is a very nice, wonderful sounding cart. I purchased mine at TurntableNeedles, free shipping. I wasn't sure which LOMC I wanted so I just picked the least expensive option and it has worked out very well.

I haven'theard the 33EV but I just bought an OC9 ML II a few weeks ago for $350. It is a very nice, wonderful sounding cart. I purchased mine at TurntableNeedles, free shipping. I wasn't sure which LOMC I wanted so I just picked the least expensive option and it has worked out very well.

thx

I suggest you head over to Amazon and read the review by C. Kelley. No affiliation. About the third one down. He hits all the major points briefly and does a comparison to a host of cartridges, most of which I own (except for the Dynavectors) so I was able to follow along very well. I think our tastes are similar, though he likes his V15/SAS way more than I do. He LOVES his OM30 Super, which I do, too.

Bottom line seems to be that if you're a tracking nut, can't stand IGD even a hint of it, the .3 x .7 elliptical might not do it for you.

I have the OC9ML/II. I wouldn't mind a comparison to that. That has the ML tip and the boron rod cantilever, both of which are supposed to be better than the Duralum and elliptical on the AT33EV. But I do find my OC9ML/II a bit etched, so perhaps a .3 x .7 elliptical would be nicer in my case. The Amazon reviewer says that the AT33EV is more natural sounding than the two AT MM heavy hitters the 150MLX and the 440MLa and has more body, and better noise rejection.

For me, though, my AT150MLX is more natural sounding, has more body and certainly better noise rejection than my OC9ML/II. My OC9ML/II loves to find any flaw in the groove and focus right in on it to let you and anyone else listening know that it is having a hard time with your record collection. The AT150MLX with same cantilever and tip is the opposite: Dead quiet in the groove. Lovely detail. Very realistic.

A good buy at $500? Not having ever heard one, I think you could do better. Honestly, if it were me, I would probably spring the extra cash and get the AT33PTG/II which is also hovering around $500. The AT33EV seems really to be hovering at around $425 to $475. For the extra money you get a tapered boron cantilever and a Micro linear stylus.

Some light reading for you:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33964-Audio-Technica-ATOC9-MLII-vs-AT33PTG-vs-AT33EV

I have had quite the opposite experience with my OC9 MLII. Loaded at 100 ohms ot is quite smooth bottom to top and is very quiet in the grooves. It doesn't enhance surface noise by any means. And my records are far from perfect. Before I got the VTA dialed in it was a bit tail up and did pick up more surface noise but once it was set correctly, the noise subsided. I would think the 33 PTG would be similar in respect to set up requirements with the boron cantilever and microline stylus. YMMV.

I have the OC9II also. Liked it so much bought an ART9.
DSC_0191%202_zpswtcttreq.jpg

I have the OC9II also. Liked it so much bought an ART9.
DSC_0191%202_zpswtcttreq.jpg

That's on the short list when the OC 9 II wears out. It should be a while, only had it a couple of months. if the ART 9 is as much better as the reviews say it is, it is one heck of a cartridge.

It's nice. Real nice as a matter of fact. Sometimes I wonder if my equipment is up to the task. RCM is next.

I have owned one for a few years now, and it suits my musical tastes very well. I prefer a cart that has a lot of detail and imaging while still sounding warm in the mids and lows. I would say this cart is most certainly worth the money, I got much more than $500 in enjoyment out of it over nearly 4 years of almost daily use. It is currently awaiting a retip.

Well, I've tried everything I can think of and I'm no novice to cart set up, so I'm stumped. There is a thread in another forum by someone who took a micrograph of his 150MLX tip and that showed that the diamond tip was not installed properly. I'm thinking I might have one of those. But I don't have a microscope to check it with.

True, if the The angle that the stylus is mounted to the cantilever is not correct, it would through everything off.

1/2 off Retail everywhere now
So I'm asking... it is a good cart/buy at <$500.00 ?

Hi,

FWIW no way would I ever consider spending that sort of money
on an elliptical MC. I don't really care how good it sounds out of
the box comparatively. Something with a ML tip will last far longer
(5 times ? more ?) and maintain most of its quality over its life,
whilst an elliptical just slowly degrades from its pristine state.

My argument is not that advanced tips sound better, in my book
a new nice elliptical can sound as good as it gets, its just that
they make far more sense for MC's in terms of the stylus life.

rgds, sreten.

I imagine the 33 PTG II is a fine cartridge. The only problem is that it is a grey market offering. If you have a service issue, Audio Technica USA will not honor the warranty. You are going to have to count on the seller to take care of that for you.

Regards
Mister Pig

Hi,

The way I see it is basically :

Elliptical = 0.7 major radius.
Hyperelliptical = 1.5 major radius = x2 stylus life
(Ortofon Fine Lines also fit this category)
Line Contact = 3.0 major radius = x4 stylus life
(Most advanced tips like Shibata and the like)

Now MicroLine or Microridge is really a difficult
species to judge. Major radius is typically 3.0,
but there is no real specification for the height
of the ridge/line but the minor radius should
reflect its width. Life will be more than a LC.

So IMO like I said (5 times ? maybe more ?)

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
2 yrs... Time flies !

Been spinning with this cart for the last 3 days... This is a standout cart in general but seems to play less than NM LPs outstandingly

I still see a few for sell on the 'net

Last edited:
That cartridge looks identical to the AT32 we sold back in the early 80s. It had the first microridge diamond available from AT and a cantilever that had, I believe, gold sputtered on to the cantilever to dampen it. I believe the OC9 was derived from it for the Signet AT sub brand years later. Still have the Signet/AT transformer for them.

I have a AT32E and it is a very nice LOMC with the normal AudioTechnica Signature sound, which I feel bests the O9CMkII. IMHO
Regards,
Jim

P.s. and yes it has a Gold Plated Beryllium Cantilever

Back
Top Bottom