Audio Technica AT-LP120 in the house.

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well been thinking of buying a new table but need to sell off some that I have. Then I found this at Essex Bargain Hunt. It has been there almost 2 months which is a long time for BH. Marked $179 and it finally got to 40% off, $107 + tax. It was apparently damaged in shipping (cracked cover) and I have been watching it. Popped for it last night. Everything seems to be fine, all accessories ( except the AT slipmat) were there and sealed. I did not know that it will also play 78's. I know it is not the quality of an original SL-1200, but It will do until I save for a VPI or similar table.

IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0229.JPG IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0230.JPG

there's a lot you can do to this deck to 'improve' it

emphasis on 'can'

1. bypass internal phono pre (vids on youtube)

2. heavier mat (1/4" Technics is perfect IMO)

3. 4-5 rubber o-ring washers on tonearm

4. if you do #3 will need to have/make a heavier counterweight

5. if anti-skate not functioning , shorten the spring into about 1/2

Hopefully all of this is a hobby for you. If not... just leave the TT alone

OP said the table is a stop gap measure any port in the storm until he has the money for a VPI or similar quality table, why invest anything in it when he's saving for a much better table. Negative wave?

Well, depending on what table he's saving for, it may or may not come with a cartridge, so buying a better cartridge now might not be completely silly (assuming that the same carts work well with both tables, and I honestly don't know)

Disagree, not worth putting a nickle/dime into it.
It's a matter of degrees. For what I paid It's a darn sight better than any Crosley or Ion table. :). But seriously, its not a too bad a table for what it is. I've tried a couple of AT95E carts over the years and did not like them. On the 120 it doesn't sound that bad. If I do any thing it would be to replace the audio cable. Very thin and short. I did add a thick mat from a non-functional SL-1300. Like I said, It will do until I have the funds for something much better, new if I can swing it. I will still use my Pioneer PL-630 for my best albums and the 120 for more run of the mill albums.

Last edited:
Congrats! Well, the pre-amp bypass is free and REALLY cleans up the sound, worth the cost for sure and very easy to do if you can solder.

OP updated that the LP-120 was intended for playing run of the mill albums, he has a vintage Pioneer PL-630 for his best albums. The OP if he doesn't sink any more money into the AT he should at least get back just about all he payed for it. Either upgrading the stylus on the AT95 cartridge or purchasing another cartridge isn't a good move, neither will probably match or be appropriate for the tonearm if it's a VPI. It's very doubtful that he will get any return on money spent on upgrades to the AT-120 back on resale.

Back
Top Bottom