Audio Technica AT-LP120 in the house.

Most of those who bash the build quality and sound of this turntable have never seen it in person, or heard one. Enjoy your new machine!

emphasis on 'can'

1. bypass internal phono pre (vids on youtube)

2. heavier mat (1/4" Technics is perfect IMO)

3. 4-5 rubber o-ring washers on tonearm

4. if you do #3 will need to have/make a heavier counterweight

5. if anti-skate not functioning , shorten the spring into about 1/2

Hopefully all of this is a hobby for you. If not... just leave the TT alone
I have the optional heavier counterweight, Please explain the 4-5 rubber O-ring washers on the tonearm. Where, why, and what it does.

o-rings dampens the tonearm and will change the resonance

some people like it , some dont... the number of o-rings used and where placed affect the SQ - IMO

cheap and reversible

some people like it , some dont... the number of o-rings used and where placed affect the SQ - IMO

cheap and reversible

cheap and reversible
And, put on the tonearm where? And spaced how?

I had one of those before I got "serious" about hifi... and they are a fine entry-level platter spinner. Mine was a bit thin-sounding, probably due to the platter material. At the very least, getting a cork or rubber mat will help dampen the platter.

I had no idea these were available in black... !

I had one of those before I got "serious" about hifi... and they are a fine entry-level platter spinner. Mine was a bit thin-sounding, probably due to the platter material. At the very least, getting a cork or rubber mat will help dampen the platter.

I had no idea these were available in black... !
I also swapped the terrible felt mat with a thick rubber one. It really did help.

There are some AK members that are skilled enough to adjust the loose tonearm bearings, rebuild the non functional anti skate and disconnect or remove the phono preamp. The great majority of buyers don't have the necessary skill or would they want to risk voiding the warranty to attempt these modifications on a brand new turntable. In the end even after all is corrected that should of been done at the factory the basic table is nothing special with specs that are marginal re w/f/rumble. No buyer should accept this level of poor build quality from a brand new turntable especially members here on AK that claim to be experienced.

Like Crosley, AT's largest bashers are those who have never seen, owned, or listened to one of the machines. Just enjoy your vinyl, any way possible. Someone else's buying choice has no impact whatsoever on how you listen to and appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom