Audio-Technica AT440MLb phono cartridge issue

fsdaron

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Bought this cartridge mounted in a head shell. Tracking weight and anti-skate set to 1.5. The cartridge body scrapes on my vinyl. My TT is a Yamaha YP-D71. Suggestions for fix needed.

My first "look-see" would be at the VTA setting for the arm/cart. Also, perhaps the headshell is not compatible with that tonearm set-up. If neither of those is the issue, check the stylus suspension for collapse--not likely on a cart that new, but anything is possible.

If the cantilever seems firm and hasn't collapsed, may need to find a different headshell. Have you double checked the VTF for proper calibration?

How much does the cantilever move when it hits the record? Shouldn't be much movement at all. Like others have said it's most likely the suspension has collapsed or the geometry is a mile off, which should be obvious.

Before setting the counterweight to 1.5 grams did you zero out the tonearm so that it floats level with that particular headshell / cartridge and then reset the counterweight indicator to zero at that point? Even after doing that to get the proper starting point it’s still best to double check the tracking force with a digital scale to assure that it’s accurately set. I think the AT-440ml series is generally happy at 1.25 grams, it’s got a pretty compliant suspension.

Before setting the counterweight to 1.5 grams did you zero out the tonearm so that it floats level with that particular headshell / cartridge and then reset the counterweight indicator to zero at that point? Even after doing that to get the proper starting point it’s still best to double check the tracking force with a digital scale to assure that it’s accurately set. I think the AT-440ml series is generally happy at 1.25 grams, it’s got a pretty compliant suspension.

Agree on the digital scale. Probably way off on VTF or the suspension is toast.

RE: VTF I've been through several of these and I've always gotten good results at 1.6g. IIRC nominal is 1.4g on these.

Looks like it's the suspension. How do I fix that. A new stylus?

You can try the fix with the tiny screwdriver posted upthread. Or you can just get a new stylus since if the suspension is loosening up chances are the stylus has over 1000 hours on it anyway and needs to be replaced. The suspension on the cartridge is inside the stylus assembly. It's a little rubber donut. 440 styli are discontinued but you can buy a 540ML stylus which is the new version and will fit your cart body. Some dealers still have the 440 stylus as old stock but it's not any cheaper than the 540ML stylus. You can also buy a new 540ML cartridge for a little more money.

If you have taken the stylus off, I might suggest that when you put it back on, it did not go "click" and therefore is not in its required seated position. Then it is sitting at an angle and the back end of the stylus assembly is hitting the record surface.......

The stylus is kind of hard to reinstall until you've done it a couple of times.

Back
Top Bottom