Audio Technica AT440mlb to be discontinued?

dahoo

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-01-25 11-11-29.png
    Screenshot from 2017-01-25 11-11-29.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 39
Oh No! I mean, it's already been a ***** of a year and now this !

All I can suggest is we all take a shot of courage, and march shoulder-to-shoulder towards the new AT440 less dawn. There will be a future, even if it is flawed one!

This is not entirely unexpected. There are still multiple Microline and Shibata bearing cartridges at multiple price points in the VM lineup.

This is not entirely unexpected. There are still multiple Microline and Shibata bearing cartridges at multiple price points in the VM lineup.

The problem is, the new stylus might not fit the old body. So those of us that have (6)....oops (7) AT440MLa(b) cartridges might be SOL for getting replacement stylii. Thank the maker that I bought 6 replacement ATN440MLa stylii when I did. I also have (2) ATN150MLX so I should be good to go for awhile, but the supply will not last for ever (notice my OCD?).....

I should make it clear that I don't know if the new styli wont fit the old cartridges, but I have a gut feel........

The problem is, the new stylus might not fit the old body. So those of us that have (6)....oops (7) AT440MLa(b) cartridges might be SOL for getting replacement stylii. Thank the maker that I bought 6 replacement ATN440MLa stylii when I did. I also have (2) ATN150MLX so I should be good to go for awhile, but the supply will not last for ever (notice my OCD?).....

I should make it clear that I don't know if the new styli wont fit the old cartridges, but I have a gut feel........

Oh, Dear! Now I see your point! And I hope this is not the case or I may be in trouble down the road too. I certainly hope they'll work on the old bodies.

What other company has such a complete and comprehensive line of current phono cartridge offerings?

Last edited:

As of today, AT 440 MLb is not discontinued on the Japan home site. :no:
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2646

I believe the VM540ML is the replacement for the AT440MLB. I can't see AT keeping both in the lineup as they seem very similar, with the VM getting the new body style and stylus color. I have no reason to believe that styluses will not be compatible with older models, but this is just my feeling! I will miss the purple color though, I had that since my first AT-140ML back in 1989.

Attachments

• 3cd8fa534b865e96_vm540ml_1_sq.jpg
    3cd8fa534b865e96_vm540ml_1_sq.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 46
not much room for it to rise because ATN150sa can be acquired at $180 unless ... I suspect AT150sa is also being phased out to provide room for ATVM750.

not much room for it to rise because ATN150sa can be acquired at $180 unless ... I suspect AT150sa is also being phased out to provide room for ATVM750.

What about the Audio Technica VM 760 SLC with the :

Static Compliance 40 × 10 -6 cm / dyne
Dynamic compliance 10 * 10 <-6> cm / dyne (100 Hz)
stylus Solid special line contact needle (1.5 × 0.28 mil)
Cantilever Aluminum taper pipe

:) :idea:

Shoot - I just bought a 440MLB. I'll see if I can grab a stylus. Also running a 440MLA on another table.

It is kind of interesting that the MLB was only available for such a short time. Wasn't the switch from A to B last year?

Back
Top Bottom