audio technica ath-5 cans, plus SOME SCORES!

tropicalian

rockin in the freeworld
Subscriber
It has been a good audio hunting day for me today. Went to the local record store that also sells used audio gear, and picked up a few pieces.

First, a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver in amazing shape complete with wood case. Can't wait to bring that down and play around with it.
Price...$149 (has been around going rate on ebay lately, I think it is undervalued at that price) I think it rates in at about 100 wpc RMS. Anyone have any other info or thoughts about this?

Second, a Kenwood KT-8300 tuner. If you know kenwood tuners you probably have heard about this :) Great shape. I think I'll hang on to my KT-7500 and stick this one on ebay.
Price....$69! Price on ebay has been around 220$ or so lately so I will be putting it up on the bay to pay for the cr-2020 :D

We stopped by goodwill afterwards on a lark and there were a few turntables there, but nothing to write home about. I was about to leave and saw a little kid picking up a pair of headphones that looked pretty nice. He threw them down :( and I ran up and checked them out. Some Audio Technica ATH-5's...have never heard of them but had heard of the brand and they seemed very well made. So, picked em up.
Price....$1! Anyone have any info on these? They sound awesome, but I've never had a good set of cans. I would appreciate any info because I cannot find squat on the net!
Thanks in advance :)
Anyone else get new gear this weekend?

Hi Trop!
here is the skinny on your yammie Receiver

Born:1977
Died: 1979

Retail $750.
used: $220.
W\P\C 100

nothing on your headphones,sorry

Best

Alan

I have a weak spot for thrift cans, at the usual 1-2 dollar price. Though from what I have been told, vintage cans are no where near the quality of new ones, though the price is right and there has to be a great set of vintage cans out there. How do they sound? I use a set of minty Sansui SS-20's which are very big heavy and bulky, and not very detailed, but they bring back so many great memories that I enjoy them anyway.

You can get a PDF of the owners manual from the yamaha site, I don't have the URL handy, but a search on "yamaha manuals" will bring it up on the first page.

Rob

Hi Tropicalian,

The ATH-5 are a great sounding pair of cans. I had a pair from new way back when, and they finally died on me last year. nice open sound and covers the whole freq range very well. Also very comfy. They were sort of in the middle of the AT range back in 1978/9 with the ATH-7 and 8's electret models at the top.

Definitely worth keeping!

cheers
Jack

Back
Top Bottom