Audio Technica ATH M40X issue

RemoWilliams

Addicted Member
I purchased a pair of these, brand new but without ear cushions or cable, which I ordered from other Sellers at the same time. When the last item, the cable,finally arrived three weeks after I had the M40Xs I plugged them into my Luxman R113 and found to my dismay that only the left driver was functioning.

Well I tried a Denon DCD 820 cd player and another integrated amplifier with the same results. Checking online I found a site where someone checked for a dead left side on a pair of M50s, the impedance ( nominal ) appears to be similar, about 35 ohms, a reading I got on the left side but nothing from the right, even when checked at the solder points on the pcb board, solder joints and wires all look fine.

At the jack that would go into a receiver etc. the reading was the same, left channel 35 ohms, right side .1, basically dead. Sent an email to the Seller asking for his thoughts - I see the right driver selling for around 26.00 and considering what I paid for the M40Xs ( quite low ) I could simply buy a replacement. Any thoughts?

Bare in mind I live in Canada and the headphones came from the Eastern U.S., not too keen on returning them given postal rates here. Kind of a shame at this point,

Seems a bad cable might be likely. Do you
have 2 cables or just one.

Just the one cable - I did check for impedance at the driver itself, showed nothing. I do not have a continuity setting on my multimeter, or else I am oblivious and missed it. Wondering, since the cable is removable, if one could insert it into say a cd player and measure something at the end that normally goes into the headphone? If there was a signal present one should be able to measure a low voltage for instance.

The Seller seems quite straight forward - has various Audio Technica products for sale, cartridge shell heads, mats, mikes, various head phones etc. He actually had 6 of these M40Xs. I never asked but maybe he has a source, can't say but they certainly look unused. Things happen unfortunately and hopefully I can get a new driver one way or the other. Obviously there is a reason why he is selling them "stripped down" and the price was very reasonable, even after buying the ear cushions and cable. Feedback has been very positive so I am certain he will do what he can.

Back
Top Bottom