Audio Technica LP120 TT?

ferninando

Lunatic Member
Testing the waters on AT LP120 TT.
Is it worth considering?
Is It good as it looks? Aluminum chassis?
Any gotchas?
Anybody have one to tell about?
Thanks for info.

Last edited:
~0.2% wow and flutter
50db signal-to-noise ratio

In other words even the cheapest Dual idler drive changer is probably quieter and keeps speed better than it.

The anti-skate it has also doesn't work properly, and while it does have adjustable VTA, the range of adjustment is not ideal.

It looks good because it's designed to look like the SL-1200, but, in terms of actual performance the turntable doesn't stand up. It's a cheap clone made by Hanpin in China.

If you need VTA adjustment, the ability to play 78s, and the ability to hot swap cartridges, aren't willing to buy a used turntable, and have a limited budget then it's probably your best choice. But if you're able to buy used/vintage, or spend a little more, then there are tons of far far better options available.

If you're looking for those features and want to buy new, their LP-1240 is a step up from it, with a ~0.1% wow and flutter (speed issues should be inaudible at this point for all but the most discerning ears) and 55db SnR ratio.

If you can stretch the budget further and must buy new, then my recommendation would be the Pioneer PLX-1000. It's much quieter, with a ~70db SnR (since every 10db increment = 2x quieter, that's about 4x quieter than the LP-120), and an inaudible ~0.1% wow and flutter. Plus it has all the features that make the LP-120 appealing, aside from the ability to play 78s.

Last edited:
While I sometimes disagree with this guys outcomes he does do a very good job of covering the workings of products. Most of the reviews on the Tube are less thorough.

If your serious about a TT forget about the LP-120 and all the rest of the Hanpin knockoffs including the Pioneer which is also built by Hanpin. Quality control is an after thought, reports of warped platters, anti skate is unpredictable, loose tonearm bearings and even if you got lucky and all those things worked embarrassing specs. The built in phono preamp is a joke. If there was any effort it was put into making it look like a SL-1200Mk2, not sound or perform like one and forget about it still going strong 30-40 years later. If you don't believe me there are plenty of posts on AK that will tell the story.

Testing the waters on AT LP120 TT.
Is it worth considering?
Is It good as it looks? Aluminum chassis?
Any gotchas?
Anybody have one to tell about?
Thanks for info.
I've only heard it at a dealer's showroom, and I thought it sounded fine. If I needed 78 rpm play and a built-in phono stage, it's a model I would happily purchase. It does not sound as good to my ears as the entry-level 'tables from Music Hall, Rega, or Pro-Ject, but none of them offer the features that the AT does. Do you have an opportunity to audition one to hear how you like it? That's the best way to determine if it's going to satisfy you.

There are lots of reviews on the internet from various sources; the ones I've read have been generally favorable, but acknowledge that the less feature-laden competitors offer better sound. I think Michael Fremer has its strengths and weaknesses well sorted, commenting that its soft but pleasingly lush sound, feature set, and ease of use should satisfy its target audience, which he describes as the casual record spinner.

"The AT-LP120-USB is extremely well made, packaged and presented equally well, including excellent instructions for both vinyl playback and computer interface, and with its generous accessories should make casual vinyl spinners very happy with their purchase."
Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...hames-plastic-competition#v5xsJzFaLMMcQVAy.99

The Wirecutter has a recently-updated article at its site entitled "The Best Turntable for Casual Listening" and concluded that the AT LP120 is the best turntable for most people, offering great sound and features for the price; however, down the article a ways they recommend the costlier Rega Planar 1 if you want even better audio quality. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

OP if you give us some idea of what the turntable will be mated to, amp/speakers, this might indicate if you fall into that casual listener group or you are more serious about sound and build quality.

There's a lot of Hanpin haters on this forum. Many people find the AT LP120 to be ok. Many find the new Pioneers to be ok. None of them are going to shock the world with their incredible fidelity or specs, but for that matter, none of the new tables under $500 are going to, and few new ones between $500 and $1000 will.

I have two 40 year old turntables and am struggling with deciding if they, at their age, are performing any better than a good Hanpin, like the Reloop RP-7000. When it gets down to the brass tacks, the primary function of a turntable is to turn at an exact speed and not add noise or other influence into the equation. I suspect that a large part of the poor S/N ratio on the AT LP120 is it's built in preamplifer, and there are lots of YouTube videos on how to bypass and remove that.

For the money, the U-Turn Orbit has had good reviews, that might be a better consideration. Or, look for a good quality used table from 'back in the day'. Much depends upon your intended use. Are you testing the waters of vinyl? Are you a serious record hound? What's the rest of your system like?

Let's try to keep a bit more of an open mind here, folks. Not everyone has a couple grand to invest in a turntable.

If your serious about a TT forget about the LP-120 and all the rest of the Hanpin knockoffs including the Pioneer which is also built by Hanpin. Quality control is an after thought, reports of warped platters, anti skate is unpredictable, loose tonearm bearings and even if you got lucky and all those things worked embarrassing specs. The built in phono preamp is a joke. If there was any effort it was put into making it look like a SL-1200Mk2, not sound or perform like one and forget about it still going strong 30-40 years later. If you don't believe me there are plenty of posts on AK that will tell the story.

Here we go again.

You know, it might be a good idea if you were to go out and buy an AT-LP120, or any Hanpin direct drive, and evaluate it for yourself. Your endless uninformed bashing of Chinese products like the Hanpins went beyond the merely annoying years ago.

John

Last edited:
My vintage Pioneer has better specs and sounds better, though it doesn't look as nice as my LP120. My LP120 had very loud rumble and bad isolation. You could tap the dust cover and hear it come though the speakers no matter if I used the built in pre amp or a phono input.

. . .When it gets down to the brass tacks, the primary function of a turntable is to turn at an exact speed and not add noise or other influence into the equation. . .
Looking at it the other way 'round, a turntable's job could be seen as being built with sufficient precision as to allow the very tiny modulations in the groove to be reproduced. The only thing that makes sound is the relative motion of the stylus to the cartridge body; if some of the stylus's energy is lost due to mechanical slop in the platter bearing, tone arm bearings, headshell/tone arm interface, etc., etc., then some musical information can be lost to that slop rather than being picked up and reproduced by your hifi. Rega makes cost-effective, good-sounding turntables in part because they don't have removable headshells or easy vertical tracking angle adjustment, both of which they believe would introduce structural compromises to their design that would result in compromises to information retrieval.

Let's try to keep a bit more of an open mind here, folks. Not everyone has a couple grand to invest in a turntable.
And even if they did, that doesn't mean a $2000 turntable is a better choice than a $300 turntable because that cheaper model may have features important to the buyer. A turntable like the AT LP120 offers good sound along with a host of possibly very useful features; some that I could see myself appreciating include the built-in phono stage, reverse play (that was fun to play with on my Stanton STR8-80!), easy exchange of cartridge through removable headshells, and easy pushbutton speed change for 33 1/3, 45, and 78 rpm records. As good as my Linn LP12 was at the time, I bought the Stanton because it played 78's and the Linn didn't. I bought a Denon DP-300F rather than the better sounding Rega RP1 for a bedroom system because fully automatic operation was more important to me for that application than the sound quality difference.

I think an LP120 can be a great 'table for anyone who might have fun with its many features; if at some point they yearn for better sound quality, the LP120 can continue to be a great 2nd 'table to keep around because it will likely have features a person will want to use occasionally that the more expensive 'table lacks. It's also quite possible that the LP120 will offer a level of musical performance that completely satisfies the owner--no upgrade required. If at all possible, get a comparative audition so you can hear for yourself if spending more actually gets you something you'll appreciate more.

Last edited:
I would recommend the AT-LP1240 for a little more money but it's well worth the extra $150. From time to time, Fry's Electronics has a special deal for only $288. I have both the AT-LP1240 and the Pioneer PLX-1000n (same as black PLX-1000) with W&F .01%.

Here we go again.

You know, it might be a good idea if you were to go out and but an AT-LP120, or any Hanpin direct drive, and evaluate it for yourself. Your endless uninformed bashing of Chinese products like the Hanpins went beyond the merely annoying years ago.

John
the Ignore function is your best friend here! I turned it off to see if I was right in guessing to whom you were replying. Of course it was just as I expected (I wonder sometimes if he used to have a Chinese girlfriend who dumped him!).

Seriously I've had a PLX-1000 now for a couple of years and love it compared to the piece-of-junk Pro-Jects I owned before, both of which had motors that sounded like hummingbird's in heat!

Now Project tables get bashed, "piece of junk", in the above post, must have a grudge against the Austrians.

Avoid that overpriced junk. so many things wrong with it like anti-skating doesn't work. their market is for people who don't know anything about turntables

Last edited:
Avoid that overpriced junk. so many things wrong with it like anti-skating doesn't work.
That problem has been fixed. All AT-LP120s manufactured since the beginning of 2017 have an improved anti-skating spring which provides the correct anti-skating force. You can also order the spring from Audio-Technica if you wish to retrofit it into an older LP120. The price is $1.00 plus shipping.

atlp120spring.jpg

Back
Top Bottom