Audio Technica microline or shibata? Help me choose.

mr.jones

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am thinking about getting one of the new AT VM95 cartridges for my Technics 1200 mkii. They cost around $200 for the shibata and $170 for the microline. AT claims you can get 1000 hours for the microline and 800 hours for the shibata.

What other factors should I take into consideration? I have read that the microline reveals more surface noise. Is there a general consensus as to which one sounds better?

thx

prphoto_vm95_aug2018.jpg

Even with the ML or SH styli, it's still an entry level cartridge body. Channel separation isn't that great. If it were my money I'd go for the heavily discounted AT-100E then upgrade the stylus when the VM series ML comes down from the stratosphere. IMHO.

OK...good to know. The channel separation is 23db compared to 28db for the discontinued at440. I wonder what makes them cheaper and "entry level". My guess is they took shortcuts on the internal coil wrap. 23db vs 28 db seems like a lot.I assue the soundstage would be pretty bad.

I like the mounting convenience with the internal threads I also like it that stylus replacements are available. I would be willing to sacrifice a little SQ for that but not too much.

The recently discontinued Audio Technic AT 440 MLb is still available from Japan via Ebay for a pretty good price. :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Tech...h=item3fb03f92f4:g:9AsAAOSwd2Zb3IHP:rk:4:pf:0

I have a new in the box AT440mlb and new replacement stylus. If the VM95 was comparable I was going to sell them to fund my purchase. I was attracted to the convenience of the VM95.

I have an Technics 1200 and an AR ES-1 with an SME tonearm I was going to pair with and don't want to give up too much in SQ.

Back
Top Bottom