Audio Technica N-10-100 replacement

Carlos SM

Hi, I was given a Marantz 6300 turntable and it has an Audio Technica N-10-100 cartridge. Which cartridge do you recommend as a replacement? Also, does anyone know when this cartridge was made? I couldn't find info on the cartridge.

Thanks

The 10-100 appears to be a clone of their entry level AT10 cartridge. It should have a red stylus grip- this is a cheap conical diamond that tracks rather heavy at 2.5 to 4.0 grams. It can be upgraded by locating the blue ATS12 stylus. This has an elliptical diamond would track at only 1.5 to 2.0 grams.

If it is the same cartridge as the AT10, a very good sounding and inexpensive replacement stylus is the Pfanstiehl 629-DE. They go for about $15 on ebay.

I really don't know mucho about turntables, cartidges or stylus. The TT is from 1976 and works perfectly. The idea of replacing the cart with a newer one is because I suppose that after 40+ years there must be better cartridges. But then again, I really don't know. If replacing the stylus is all I need, then I'll do that.

Thanks

Cartridge bodies don't really go bad/degrade unless they happen to drop a channel, which is relatively rare. Obviously there are better cartridges available now, but there were better ones available 40 years ago, too. It really all depends how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.

Hi, and thanks for your answer. I was thinking tops 200 USD. I was looking at an older AT10 and it looks just like mine, so it seems mine is a clone. How good were those AT10? Were they the lowest quality option? I',m assuming this cartridge came with the TT when my uncle bought it back in 76.

Thanks

They were a good entry-level cartridge. They can be made better by upgrading the stylus to an elliptical or Shibata profile stylus that will track better and lighter than the AT10. stylus.

Back
Top Bottom