Audiodon's systems

Sweet stack indeed. How about an update on your 300. Any news, or changes? Sound quality thoughts?

After painting my living room and putting in a dedicated AC line, I'll be rebuilding the reference system.

Presently, the speakers are at AK'er Stephanie Gaynor's house.

attachment.php

On the set of shelves in the built-in fireplace hearth, I'll be replacing those two shelves with one single shelf to hold LPs on both top and bottom.
Then I'll be painting the whole thing.
It has been ten years since I painted the room.
Time to do everything.

attachment.php

I've got some PS Audio AC outlets from Parts Connexion to terminate the new AC line when that gets done. We have 200 amp service and I recently freed up an AC breaker after switching from an electric dryer to a gas dryer. That breaker will hopefully be used for the new AC line to the outlet.

Attachments

• view-spendor-1.jpg
    view-spendor-1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 613
  • livrmpaint.jpg
    livrmpaint.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
Stephanie felt that she'd finally dialed in the speakers in the last couple of days they were there by pulling the couch further forward.
Some pretty good ears seem to agree with her.
She was using the AK'er dcgillespie modified Fisher X-1000 I'd recently received back.

I got to set everything back up now that the gear is all back at my house. I've made some changes but am not happy with it yet.
More information to come . . . when I have had some time to make a few adjustments.

All right, so I moved some stuff around, removed my latest annoyance, and fired the system up again.
My latest annoyance is a Blue Circle Music Ring 1200.
I'd bought it off an AK'er like a year ago but hadn't put it in.
So, when idling, it's relatively quiet.
Put any kind of load on it so that it has to condition the power and it hums like a !#@$)*% &#&*#er. It's supposed to balance the load.

So, out it came, and the plugs went right into the PS Audio wall outlets I'd put in recently during the renovation.
Works much better.
Then I frittered the night away LISTENING TO ONE DISC AFTER ANOTHER. Can you believe that? When I have all these projects and all this puttering to do I'm listening to music.
Harrumph!

Good for you Don in spending some quality time listening rather than working on projects. The tunes must've really been sounding good.
So what exactly is the Blue Circle Music Ring?

It's a power conditioner that might be great in some systems but doesn't work well for me.
It is essentially three toroidal transformers with shunting capacitors for spike suppression. It weighs about as much as that KX-200 I bought from you.

Here's the rackstack after painting. I've turned it 90 degrees to accommodate a bin of firewood on each side of the fireplace for winter. You can see one of the unfinished sides of the granite slab on the top of the rack.

I'd had my Cary SLP-98P preamp and a pair of Fisher 30A monoblocs up for the Christmas season, but the family asked for the Fisher 500-C to come back for the convenience of being able to switch between speaker pairs and because they know it.

attachment.php

The second photo highlights the new cover I got for the turntable. This was custom made by JMK designs. Highly recommended. In my case, the cats love to walk across the mantle and see the turntable as a horizontal surface to jump down onto, so I had this one made 3/8 thick and had the dimensions made 1/16 larger width and length with four stops put on the inside corners and recessed. That will keep the cats from making the cover slide if they so decide.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rackstack012014.jpg
    Rackstack012014.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 443
  • JMSdesignscover.jpg
    JMSdesignscover.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
You know what?
I haven't made a change to my reference system since I put it back in the living room last December. That's saying something.
Some day I'll document the other systems in the house.

Very nice Don. Do yourself a favor and get a Jico SAS stylus for your Shure. I did and it is a night and day difference. Still has the nice controlled Shure sound but with a bit more excitement and detail. Not harsh in anyway.

With ALS intruding into my life more and more, I must adapt to it. The ALS is not adapting to me.
Here is the living room system as of November 2015. This is a temporary test setup.
On the rack:
Fisher X-1000
Lexicon RT-20
Advent 300 as a tuner
Creek amplifier remote control (on loan from LEXDM3. If you have one or something of equal or better quality idle you'd be willing to move, pm me.)
Speakers:
Spendor D7 (presently running in)
Spendor A9
Will be A/B speaker testing, but need to downscale.
I would like to thank AK'ers LexDM3 and Steph Gaynor for doing all that I can no longer do on the setup. Actually my list of thanks is much longer but must wait for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom