Audiogon fails to impress

The scammers are on Audiogon now. Received this on an item I sold long ago.

Hello seller, Tammy ,i saw your placement and am interested in buying from you but before i processed, i like to know the mode of payment excluding the shipping cos i will take care of the shipping cost, get back to me as soon as possible for me to arrange for the payment.also you can contact me directly on my email

That's not a surprise. It seems like the Wild Wild West over there. I sent a simple question to AG throught their system about a week ago with no response, as yet. They state a 72 hour backlog on the site. I would be afraid to do business there right now. They have never been famous for their customer service but the membership has always done a pretty good job of policing themselves. I'm not sure how well that would work at the moment. I hope they get it straight. I really miss the old Audiogon, especially the ability to search locally. With high quality gear, this was always a real plus for me.
The scammers are on Audiogon now. Received this on an item I sold long ago.

Hello seller, Tammy ,i saw your placement and am interested in buying from you but before i processed, i like to know the mode of payment excluding the shipping cos i will take care of the shipping cost, get back to me as soon as possible for me to arrange for the payment.also you can contact me directly on my email

Before they changed the site, I visited Agon daily to see what was new. Now, I visit about once every 2 weeks. I hope they fix it soon. It's painful to use it right now.

I checked over at Audio Asylum, sounds like one of the founders or owners or something was forced out.

The patronizing tone of Audiogon's "updates" is insulting at best. This is a perfect opportunity for someone to come up with an alternative and fill the void. Sounds like the AA classifieds are already taking off.

I checked over at Audio Asylum, sounds like one of the founders or owners or something was forced out.

The patronizing tone of Audiogon's "updates" is insulting at best. This is a perfect opportunity for someone to come up with an alternative and fill the void. Sounds like the AA classifieds are already taking off.

Do you have a link to the discussion,Aaron?

That sounds like a plausible reason why the sudden change in A'gon.

If true,the new 'owner' has cut corners to not only 'update' the site but to also in the process, change the administration commands so as to exclude the previous owner form accessing the site on an administrative level.

Think that the current ownership was 'paranoid' about their not getting their cut of the action as folks could communicate directly via the old format and now it all gets filtered as on eBay. I did not mind paying the $6/listing, but did not care for it when they changed to the eBay format of a percentage of sale price a few years ago. Guess they are just another group of Wall Street hustlers/bankers. Thanks for the tip on AA ads.

Do you have a link to the discussion,Aaron?

That sounds like a plausible reason why the sudden change in A'gon.

If true,the new 'owner' has cut corners to not only 'update' the site but to also in the process, change the administration commands so as to exclude the previous owner form accessing the site on an administrative level.

Here's a link to what I read:

Audiogon Discussion

interesting... I posted a new listing on Agon today to see whether any buyers are still hanging in, hope it doesn't just look like another scam to potential buyers.

John

Looking at the 'gon site just now and it dawned on me that whatever happened, or whoever did it, whoever is running it now either knows bugger all about audio, or is just indifferent.

Page view count on my listing so far is pathetic, fraction of what I would have expected back before they hosed things up. I did get two mails though; both from scammers with identical wording.

Put a fork in this one folks... it's done.

John

The Geeks developed a poor site and spend millions of man hours to fix it. This is called 'job security'. :)

I am going to wave the white flag from behind the trench.

AUDIOGON - PLEASE PUT THE OLD SITE BACK UP. THANK YOU. DON'T TREAD ON US.

My listing ended with zero buyer contacts (aside from the two Nigerian scam mails) and woefully few page views. As far as I'm concerned, Audiogon owes me $4; I did my part as a seller, they failed miserably to hold up their end of the deal.

None of the other listings I've been watching ended with a sale either. Place is a complete joke since the redesign.

John

On the upside, my bank account is as healthy as it has been in several years and I'm doing more listening and much less buying/selling/trading of gear. Thankfully, I was able to do most of my major changes prior to Audigon's madness. Haven't bothered to go on their website in a few weeks and probably won't in the future. I'm of the view that the owner's of Audiogon have done more to harm the high-end in NA then any other group of folks. Unintended consequences, for sure.

It ain't all that bad now if one is willing to let the old Audiogon go. I remember that when Audio Mart died I thought the world had ended. Have listed two items since most of its bugs were worked out and both sold within a few days. One was an ebay flip that is funding my vintage small signal tube escapade. Have also bought a few items since the change. For much of the equipment I have to sell (boy do I have a bunch) and want to buy(thankfully a shrinking list) it's still the best game in town, with our own BT being second. For gear over $1K it's the best place to sell without question. YMMV

Has anybody figured out how to search by zip-code? it mentions it in the search box but nothing I've tried works. Ugh. I hate A-gon now.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured out you can no longer search by partial zip codes. That's not inconvenient at all when you have about 20 zip codes within 10 miles of you.

Back
Top Bottom