Audiokarma Server upgrade We need your help !

ozmoid said:
If all 20,000+ of us gave $3 a year, we could completely cover the server hosting and bandwidth bill for AK.
I am pretty sure that is not the actual bill, but rather a number that was referred to if we decided to own, operate and run our own server.

Can the admin(s) confirm that this is the annual cost level that we are trying to get donations to add up to? I am asking because for most fundraisers that I have come across, there is some kind of "donate meter" such as the one that PMSummer suggested so that donors know what the ultimate goal is: It certainly makes it easier to get collectively behind an effort if we all know what we are aiming for and how we are progressing.

Even if the annual server cost is $60K, there must be more to this financial picture to offset this: General member cash donations, equipment proceeds donations, merchandise sales, banner ads, associate links, and classified ads.

In short, some numbers would be great:thmbsp:: When an organization requests, and accepts, voluntary donations from its membership, I don't think that a minimum level of accountability in return is an unreasonable expectation.

All the best,

Njord Noatun said:
I am pretty sure that is not the actual bill, but rather a number that was referred to if we decided to own, operate and run our own server.
...some numbers would be great:thmbsp:!
The numbers I'm referring to are in this post by Grumpy, earlier in this thread. I realize this is not necessarily reflective of the actual bill - it is my intention to make the point that if each member were to donate a tiny sum (like $5-7 per year), there would be far fewer headaches for the good guys who maintain this site and keep it running (sometimes at their own expense, I'm sure) for all of us to enjoy! :thmbsp:

one idea . . .

my wife and her business partner use a company called Rack Space for their server needs:

http://www.rackspace.com/index.php

their company, E2 Solutions requires very robust and reliable (and fast) server performance, and Rack Space allows them to have someone else do all the dirty work for them . . .

I know AK just moved to a new server, but maybe down the road it could be an option . . .

just an idea :D

markus said:
my wife and her business partner use a company called Rack Space for their server needs:

http://www.rackspace.com/index.php

their company, E2 Solutions requires very robust and reliable (and fast) server performance, and Rack Space allows them to have someone else do all the dirty work for them . . .

I know AK just moved to a new server, but maybe down the road it could be an option . . .

just an idea :D
Unless I'm mistaken, AK just moved to RackSpace...:scratch2:

Thought I would give everyone an update as to where we stand.

We changed over to the new server some time ago but have been battling some bugs. For the most part everything works now except for allowing uploads to the gallery. That should be fixed in the near future.

Our VBulletin software will be updated soon. Look for an announcement soon as the board will be temporarily shut down during this time.

Once the software upgrade is done we will be unveiling a new subscriber membership. For a small fee this will allow our members to upload serious amounts of photos without fear of hitting the max. Many other perks such as additional forums and more will accompany this.

Audiokarma will be getting a slightly new look for the front page. We are toying with the idea of bringing back the shout box that was fairly popular in the past.

Thank you to everyone who donated. Without your help we would be dead in the water.

Grumpy

Don't the ads at the bottom of the pages support the site?

They used to come close. Now with higher server costs they do not. Its through the kindness of our advertisers and members donations that AK stays on the air.

Grumpy

It was nice surprise to see you're located in Michigan...not too far from where I'm at...Ypsi/Arbor area. I'll drop something in the mail tomorrow. In the week or so I've been a member I've already been helped by some of the AK members with some audio issues, so I might as well give to the good fight. Nice thing you have going here.

Great to have another Michigander !

Your not far at all. Have you made it to any of the southeast Michigan's club meetings yet ? The next one is Sept 22nd and in your backyard.

By the way thank you for your donation. You may also want to consider a subscriber membership.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom