audiophile mods to a tu-717??

rhinofly

Toadfather
Anyone here done it? I bought one from JR over at the tuner info site and he recommended which caps to swap out...but I have to say that looks like a royal pain in the butt to do.

Anyone here actually done it? The board attached to the output level pot looks like it needs to be removed to replace caps....and that looks like a nightmare.

Anyone been there done that? Comments?

Yes, I've done a full set of mods on a 717--great tuner. Getting at the audio board was a bit of a 'bear' though. Here's how I did it (IIRC): the 'faceplate' has to come off (screws, top and bottowm). The output control knob and the tuning knob have to come off (you'll need a set of metric 'Allen' keys to lossen the set screws). Then there are a couple of screws holding that board to the front panel. I actually removed a couple of screws holding the front panel to the side panel in that area so that I could get a bit more room here--then the audio board could then be wiggled so that it was accessible for soldering and replacing components.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

Steve:
In looking at it I thought it might be possible to free up the board (without desoldering the connecting wires) enough to replace some caps. Sounds like just what you did.

I am curious, which parts did you replace and what did you replace them with? ie which brand of caps? Where did you get them?

Did you notice much of a difference afterward and do you think that after all is said and done that it was worth the effort?

Opps! The cap values aren't given on that post. You have to look
at the schematic to get those. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom