Audiophile or Music Lover?

Are you an Audiophile or Music Lover?

• Audiophile

Votes: 66 17.1%
  • Music Lover

Votes: 321 82.9%

• Total voters
Both and I believe that would have led the pack if included in the poll. The simple fact that we frequent an audio forum suggests an interest in sound quality at a level to qualify as audiophiles. However in anyone has a different understanding and wants nothing to do with the term, that's alright too.

OK, there could have been even more proposals like are you C: a record collector for example to choose from. To part even more the people into categories. And this is what pool do. I actually like this pool as it forces one to think right on oneself in order to argue as to why. And could this exercise set one into self-questioning, it can only be a good thing.

A music lover as a kid, I became a record collector as a teen and went into the audio gear thing to get my Ri(ght)-Fi (as opposed to Hi-Fi) set-up only later in my adult life with the quest to have something finally gracing and rewarding my beloved vintage original 45's. This Ri-Fi phono quest was something new to me where I got advised everything and it's contrary.

And I found my own path. Indeed I am of the 3 kinds. But my HQ is music and without that initial passion the 2 following just wouldn't be there. So yes, I am a music lover. And yes, my impression with some high-end audio owner is that it's more about the gear and performance than music. Then I also know of record collectors who don't know or love even the music on it so much...

The reason I started to subscribe to such audio site as this one few years ago is that I wanted to seek and tweak on how to improve my tonearem and turntable. Not being at all a tech guy or phono geek, it taught as it helped me a lot in that long, step-by-step, tweak journey. I still drop by to stay up to date, share my humble knowledge and argue at times.

Last edited:
I truly believe that one must be a music lover to be an Audiophile certainly not all music lovers are Audiophiles but all Audiophiles are music lovers. Example there are many people I know that are constantly listening to music and could care less what produces the sound or how good it sounds as long as it is music and the Audiophile on the other hand is constantly looking for better sound quality and would much prefer to listen to music on the best gear they can afford/find

Regards Snow

Very true IMO. There would be little point (to me) to be an audiophile if you didn't love music.

What I will say is that I'm willing to listen to a really well recorded album on a really nice system to be impressed by how it sounds, in some cases an album I wouldn't otherwise listen to on a mediocre system. And sometimes a badly recorded title that would be well tolerated on a low end system can be grating on a higher end system that reveals all the flaws of the recording/mastering.

Very true IMO. There would be little point (to me) to be an audiophile if you didn't love music.

What I will say is that I'm willing to listen to a really well recorded album on a really nice system to be impressed by how it sounds, in some cases an album I wouldn't otherwise listen to on a mediocre system. And sometimes a badly recorded title that would be well tolerated on a low end system can be grating on a higher end system that reveals all the flaws of the recording/mastering.
That holds true for me also there are SACD and DVD Audio discs I have bought to listen to on a system that does the mediums justice, I would not listen to them in a boom box for example and if at all possible I buy the highest bit rate or IPS in R2R or 180G LP's for my music collection, certainly most music I listen to and enjoy is not the best recordings but I still enjoy it.

Regards Snow

I voted Audiophile even though I'm not as much of one as many here are but, I believe in the best equipment I can buy so I may listen to my music
as close to how it was intended and or to the way I choose to hear it. And to say the least I'm very anal about it all even though I can't afford better gear.

I'm both! I answered audiophile though because I felt that to be more encompassing. I put a lot of thought into being an audiophile, as fas as sound quality goes. I'm never satisfied with a particular sound for too long, my taste is always changing. I find most musicians to be like this to an extent. The only exception I can think of is Angus Young from AC/DC. His guitar sound and his equipment, for the most part, has stayed consistent for 40+ years! That's a guy who knows what he wants and how to get it.

I would love to have some of the mega dollar Audiophile setups available but not at the cost of making mid level recordings sound like crap - nor do I have the $'s to spend. I want to be able to enjoy old Beatles, Zombies, Derek and the Domnoes, along with Pat Metheny, Classical, etc.

If you don't like the question - no need to participate :D

I find that interesting. I find with my Apogee Stage speakers, the differences between good and bad recordings is very stark, but, to me, the bad recordings do not sound worse than they did on lesser speakers. I think they mostly just make the better recordings sound better. I think the contrast might make one feel that the speakers make the low quality recordings sound worse, but, at least to my ears with my system, it really is getting rid of some of the distortion that is added to a recording when one uses lesser speakers. This matters less with poor recordings, but I don't think they sound worse. Of course, my system is quite different from yours, and even if they were the same, different people may feel differently about such matters.

Anyway, I even enjoy listening to Caruso on my system, though the limitations of those old recordings (some over 100 years old now) is very noticeable. (One good thing about the sound on those old recordings is that the dynamic range, though limited, is not artificially compressed, so they are not bad in every way. Back then, they just had the musicians perform not too loud and not too soft for the limitations of the recording equipment, rather than later on compressing it to fit.)

As for the poll, this may seem like a strange answer for someone with Apogee Stage speakers (if you are not familiar with them, an online search will yield several professional reviews in which they are described in glowing terms, which are fully justified), but I am more of a music lover. I used to be more of an audiophile, which has helped me to select good equipment. But I can explain the change better by explaining the way I choose music. I like classical music, and so with many great pieces, there are plenty of different recordings from which to choose (e.g., think of all of the different recordings there are of Beethoven's 9th symphony, and you will get the idea). Years ago, I favored better quality recordings in my purchases. Now, I favor better performances. Even if the quality of the sound isn't that great.

Although I will occasionally still pick up a piece of equipment, I am not looking for an improvement in my main system. Nor to the audio in my home theater. To be fair, I already have a pretty high level of performance, and it would be expensive (or really lucky with a great deal on used gear) to get anything better.

I also still have too much gear that I have collected, though now that I have a reasonable size house in which I plan on staying for the rest of my life, I don't really need to get rid of any of it if I don't want to do so. But I have a couple of system's worth of gear that I don't need (well, okay, maybe more like 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 systems worth of gear that I don't need).

But, I think I could go back to using my Heybrook HB2 speakers for my only system and be okay with them (I have the original HB2 speakers, not the completely different model that Heybrook came out with years later; I hate it when manufacturers reuse model numbers, as it leads to confusion). But those are not exactly garbage, so I do have limits to what sort of system I would tolerate.

Anyway, I like the poll, and I like how it forces one to choose one way or the other. Otherwise, you would probably end up with most people saying "both." If virtually everyone gave the same answer, what good would the poll be?

Music lover, from what I understand of the word audiophile from another site I do not qualify nor do I put much stock in $1000 power cords

Music lover, from what I understand of the word audiophile from another site I do not qualify nor do I put much stock in $1000 power cords

An audiophile isn't someone who buys $1000 power cords. An audiophile is defined as someone who pursues clarity and a sound that is as much like a live concert as possible.

Some of these "Audiophiles" use such expensive and weird sounding speakers and gear, it sounds nothing like a live recording! :yikes: (more like a solid gold barrel)

Come on now, cast a stone if you must...;)

I really must admit the term audiophile is probably misused and abused more than any term I know, I just know that over my many years of earthly knowledge I have never considered myself to be one, perhaps I am and never knew it:thumbsup:

I agree "audiophile" means anyone serious enough about sound quality to take care in what type of equipment they purchase. That is pretty much everyone on this forum.

I will never knock anyone who can afford the expensive stuff, though. It's not up to us to judge someone based on what they can afford, nor can we decide for them if they hear differences or not. And I pretty much ignore the audiophile haters like that pathetic Internet troll and self-proclaimed expert Ethan Winer. Someone like him deserves to be cut down several notches. He can't be happy with someone enjoying their equipment; he would rather drop his pants and shyte all over their opinions.

Hmmm... Another "both" here, I suppose. I am a music lover from way back, but once I figured out that not all recordings and/or sound reproduction devices are created equal, I could no longer listen to gear/recording of insufficient fidelity. These days, if I can't hear 'music I want to hear' * reproduced well, I'd rather not have any music at all around me. Poor reproduction detracts from my ability to have a fulfilling listening experience, and a fulfilling listening experience makes me feel more connected to the music I love. I won't apologize for that.

Quality over quantity, you could say. If that makes me a dick, I'm okay with that. * 'Music I want to hear' does, however include archival, historical, field recordings, and other notoriously lo-fi stuff, that has it's own type of beauty.

I have seen the video in post #90, and he is both right and wrong, IMHO.

Right in what he says about the ability of those folks skills and experience to overcome/compensate for their aged/diminished hearing. As I write this I am two weeks from my 52nd birthday but can make it up to 16k. I think we can all agree that deep, thoughtful, and fulfilling listening does not require perfect hearing. Or perfect gear for that matter, but for me it has to at least be good-ish.

The part he's wrong about is that one can tell the difference, one file type to another. I took the test and scored better than his assistant. I do not have a degree in music production from Berklee, perfect pitch, or an 18.5k upper limit as she does. What do I have? I don't know, probably not much, but the differences were pretty clear to me, as I identified all three files correctly on five of the six tracks using my Goldring DR 150's. I purposely did not use the superior HD 600's. The notable exception was the Katy Perry track. Poor production values on the original recording rendered each of the three samples uniformly flat, lifeless, thin and indistinguishable. In that case the 44.1 sounded just as bad as the 128. Any of you ladies and gentlemen get that one right?

Apologies for being long winded, but this is something to which I have given a lot of thought since entering the hobby. By the way, I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments above, this is a great community.

YMMV.

Yes, I am, to answer the question.

Since Music Lover is obviously the politically correct answer (on this forum, at least), I voted Audiophile.

But I've never met one like @62caddy describes. And I don't have any $1000 power cords.

Yes, I am, to answer the question.

Since Music Lover is obviously the politically correct answer (on this forum, at least), I voted Audiophile.

But I've never met one like @62caddy describes. And I don't have any $1000 power cords.
HA! So right. I went from being a music lover to being an audiophile to being a mix. However, if I find myself spending all my time working on the equipment or posting here, and very little time just listening to my system, I'm an "audiophile", more interested in the equipment than the music, whether I'm willing to admit it or not. ;)

Listening to music triggers a strong emotional response in me, especially certain songs. In this respect I am definitely a music lover.

On the other hand, I care deeply that my music sound as clean and full as possible. I expect my gear to do it all and then some too even though it is 30yrs old and rather neglected at times. In this respect I am an audiophile. I dream of expensive gear but that is just not in the cards for me. I simply enjoy what I have to the fullest.

Back
Top Bottom