Audiophile Pre-Amp or AVR for both movies and dedicated 2 channel audio.

So I would have to use all 9 outputs????
No you wouldn't have to use all 9 what I'm saying is you have a choice to use both DACs, if you want you can just use the front left and right off the 7.1 inputs and go from there. I use to use the 7.1 only for when I watched my moves and I utilized the dedicated balanced or unbalanced that went to the cd output on my integrated for 2ch listening.

Audiofreak71

But while playing back multichannel stuff, I can use the dedicated 2 channel outputs on the Oppo and the 5 outputs from the 7.1 side correct?

But while playing back multichannel stuff, I can use the dedicated 2 channel outputs on the Oppo and the 5 outputs from the 7.1 side correct?
That's correct, so if your watching a movie let's say your on the movie setting on your receiver then your utilizing the 7.1 on the oppo and multichannel on your receiver, then after the movie you want to do some 2 channel listening so you switch to cd on your receiver, now your utilizing the dedicated balanced or unbalanced on the oppo that runs to your cd output of your receiver. It's just one of the options you would have with the 205.

Audiofreak71

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get it correct.
It's not a problem at all, that's what we're here for and this is our hobby so im more than happy as I'm sure most others are to answer any questions were able to answer and if we can't answer them then it's up to us to try and find that answer and lead the op in the right direction.

Audiofreak71

If I get the 205, I most likely will be going directly into a power amp.
That's right OK I understand your concern then. So in that case you would just hook all your RCA's to your 7.1 and when watching movies in the oppo setup you will have it configured in a 7.1 and when you want to listen to channel you would again go into the oppo setup and select 2 speakers in the setup.
Here's an example of what the setup looks like if you didn't already know.

Audiofreak71
52585023578__D5419B23-5624-47CF-BD93-F385E094D946.JPG

Also, if using the 205 directly with amps for 2ch listening you need to change the F left and F right speaker settings (another menu) to Stereo out. The F left and F right settings are for multi-channel use. I have a 105 and I've been toying with the idea of getting a 203 and adding a AVR preamp. But, I don't think anything will come close to the sound quality and top video processing of just using the 205. For $1300 it can't be matched.

At $1000 I'd do a marantz sr6011.

I have used the 7702mk2 and 7703 preamps.

For Atmos I have a strong preference for Marantz. For two channel combined I have even a stronger opinion. I don't like most "true bypass" on AVR's. Marantz, Emotiva and older outlaws are about the only "true bypass" I ever liked for two channel. But now the newer Outlaw isn't so "true" with its bypass and you loose Atmos.

Marantz is just about the only game in town. With all that said... I run them separate anyway.

Don't wanna offend anyone and their choices but we had so many problems with anthem I don't think I'd ever even try them again.

At $1000 I'd do a marantz sr6011.

I have used the 7702mk2 and 7703 preamps.

For Atmos I have a strong preference for Marantz. For two channel combined I have even a stronger opinion. I don't like most "true bypass" on AVR's. Marantz, Emotiva and older outlaws are about the only "true bypass" I ever liked for two channel. But now the newer Outlaw isn't so "true" with its bypass and you loose Atmos.

Marantz is just about the only game in town. With all that said... I run them separate anyway.

Don't wanna offend anyone and their choices but we had so many problems with anthem I don't think I'd ever even try them again.

So with a lot more research this is the route I am taking. Marantz seems to be the way to go. And the 6011 at that. the 7011 is just overkill and not needed plus I am most likely going to get a 3 channel amp or monoblocks for the front three and use the remaining power from the 6011 to power my surrounds and Atmos speakers. It seems like you have nothing but good things to say about the 6011. Can you go into a little more depth since you own it?

The 7.1 ins. Would those be good to use to hook up a higher en player like the Oppo 205 or a good dac to? And if I used those inputs and went pure direct mode, does that cut out the subwoofer and automatically set my fronts to large?

Also, for most things, music, movies, games , shows, I like to do as little processing as possible, it just sounds better to me. So setting the player to direct, will that just decode the native incoming signal? Like DTS-HS Atmos and so on?

In your opinion, what is the BEST way to listen to 2 channel music on the 6011?

Also, how much better are the pre amps. The 7702, 7702MKII and 7703

Accessories4less has the 7702 for only $849 and the 6011 for $799. What do you think the better deal is and better quality?

So with a lot more research this is the route I am taking. Marantz seems to be the way to go. And the 6011 at that. the 7011 is just overkill and not needed plus I am most likely going to get a 3 channel amp or monoblocks for the front three and use the remaining power from the 6011 to power my surrounds and Atmos speakers. It seems like you have nothing but good things to say about the 6011. Can you go into a little more depth since you own it?

The 7.1 ins. Would those be good to use to hook up a higher en player like the Oppo 205 or a good dac to? And if I used those inputs and went pure direct mode, does that cut out the subwoofer and automatically set my fronts to large?

Also, for most things, music, movies, games , shows, I like to do as little processing as possible, it just sounds better to me. So setting the player to direct, will that just decode the native incoming signal? Like DTS-HS Atmos and so on?

In your opinion, what is the BEST way to listen to 2 channel music on the 6011?

Also, how much better are the pre amps. The 7702, 7702MKII and 7703

Accessories4less has the 7702 for only $849 and the 6011 for $799. What do you think the better deal is and better quality?
I was a huge fan of analog inputs until Atmos.. understand that if your after any of the “height” channel formats you’ll pretty much have to bite the bullet and go HDMI. Now for theater... that’s what you want. It’s plain better to have those formats vs old 5.1 surround. (I currently am only running 5.1.4) Movies and even converted regular TV watching are just so much more enveloping.

The rub is two channel. You can incorperate the analog outs for two channel if you like and keep HDMI for everything else. The DAC’s in the Marantz are pretty darn good. So listening to a CD or SACD could be decoded by the receiver or the transport. That’s up to you. The 205 is just in my opinion no longer special. Oppo was great when it was the Swiss Army knife of Audio. But now your player is just a transport. Oppo can’t decode Atmos.. it just bitstreams it. So would the far cheaper Sony x-800. (I sold my 103 and 105 and now own a Sony x-800) the least amount of processing is to just let the receiver do it all.

They say the 7703 (you dont want a 7702 unless it’s an MKII version) sounds better in two channel with direct bypass. I don’t think you’ll hear a difference.. and that’s why I chose the 6011. Plus I use its internal power amps to power my 4 height channels. I use the 6011’s pre-outs to feed an Outlaw 755 (5 Channel 200wpc) amp for the LCR & surrounds.

Pure direct can be set up so no processing happens whatsoever in the receiver. It’s a “true” bypass. Now with that said, you can set it so there is a copy of the signal pulled out and Bass management can be applied for a sub. My buddy runs his like this. (7703) I don’t play any digital two channel, so it’s no longer something I full around with. My two channel is vinyl only, A seperate system with tube amps.

The SR6011 is really tough to beat. And when it comes down to the pure direct feature, I think Marantz Is the only one worth having. I’m not a Marantz fanboy, it’s just the best blend of features available right now. Between my buddy and myself, we’re three years into 7702-7703’s and now with the 6011, I’m just as happy. I kinda wish I would have taken my 6011 to my buddies house and A&B’d it against his 7703... but mine is now in my rack, and I’m lazy.

Last edited:
Yes. I know that for Atmos and for movies that I have to go HDMI. AND that's fine. My point is would it be worth it to go HDMI for digital and analog for 2 channel audio from the 205 or 203 for that matter. But from what you are saying is that the Oppo's dac's just aren't that special anymore? That it's probably better to just use the dacs in the 6011 to decode redbook cd's and SACD? I wonder if one could even tell the difference between listening to a cd through the player or avr. I just love listening to 2 channel music and want the best experience possible for my situation.

Back
Top Bottom