Audiophiles and Motorcycles

13 at one time and raced them all. Injuries and tired of lengthy healing made me finally wise up.

Oh, man! I commuted around Boston and Cambridge for four years on a Ducati Monster. It was the small one, an M620, but it was a perfect commuter bike. I miss it every day. I started on a '73 Honda CL350, but quickly decided if I was going to commute on two wheels I needed something that could get out of it's own way. The Monster was more than adequate :)
The CB350 I could get locally serviced, tho rarely needed. The Duc, not so much back then in SLC.

I've had bikes for 47 years. Still have 2 road bikes, a 70 FLH and a 2006 Buell XB12 Lightning.
Stereo gear and bikes are both guy things that we never grow out of. Both pleasures we can enjoy solo. Neither gives us much grief, unless it's self-induced. Perfect escapes for the frazzled lives we live.

2 motorcycles... both 2-stroke Yamaha, 1971 CT1C 175cc Enduro and 1967 YR1 Grand Prix 350 (I've had a different Yamaha 175 Enduro, Norton 850 Commando, and Kawasaki KZ400 previously, I started at 6-7 on a minibike)

2 receivers and a tube tabletop radio... listed in my signature. (I've had bedroom stereos & boomboxes from the xmas Wishbooks for as far back as I can recall)

2 early 90s GM 4x4s... 1993 K1500 Blazer and 1994 GMC K1500 Suburban

BUT....

I've got 8 basses, 4 guitars, a piano, and a few other misc other minor instruments. (I've had 9 other basses and 2 other guitars in my past)

Sporty and Denise.jpg

index.php

Fully Dressed Road King.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Meh. None of the people I know that ride are really into audio. My best friend that rode all his life didn't own anything audio related besides an old boombox. But, anyone into audio in general is extremely rare around here.

I bought an old bike not too long ago, did some work to it to get it road worthy, and rode it around briefly. I liked riding enough, but the constant worry about all the other dumb asses on the road made me give it up. They can't seem to keep from hitting me, pulling out in front of me, etc. while i am in a ~2 ton car/truck, so I'm sure not willing to risk being crippled up or killed by them on a bike.

There are three bikes in the garage, my 06 Kawasaski ZX6R track bike, 05 BMW Boxer Cup Replika, and the wifes 08 Ninja 650R. The street bikes don't get ridden as much as they used to unfortunately, and the track bike might get sold this year. Photo756.jpg20180116_184238.jpg
I've been riding for 45 years, and now that I'm knocking on 60s door the thought of hitting the ground at 80 or so mph like I did the last time looks a lot less appealing. The street bikes aren't as much fun as they used to be either. Too many yahoos playing on their phones.

The exhaust notes from my Norton Commando 850 twin and BSA 441 Victor Special single were music to my ears. Just couldn't afford to keep them on the road -- the standard Commando tuneup was points, plugs and gearbox (updated torque vs. antiquated bearings).

The exhaust notes from my Norton Commando 850 twin and BSA 441 Victor Special single were music to my ears. Just couldn't afford to keep them on the road -- the standard Commando tuneup was points, plugs and gearbox (updated torque vs. antiquated bearings).

We used to have Friday night competitions at the garage; Fastest assembly of a Norton box while blindfolded.

Unlike audio systems, I have only had one motorcycle at a time, but have always had one since 1965. Right now have an HD Fatboy, but with multiple health conditions, I can no longer ride, but can't bring myself to sell it just yet.

I currently own 34 motorcycles and 75 receivers

That...that's a lot.
I assume most of them are just warehoused? Keeping just 3 bikes registered, insured and full of fresh oil is a heck of a chore for me, I can't imagine what a PIA keeping even half of your stable would be.

We used to have Friday night competitions at the garage; Fastest assembly of a Norton box while blindfolded.
I remember that I did a '57 Triumph Thunderbird box sometime around 1970, but not the process or details, other than selecting the straightest clutch shaft from several in lathe centers as a replacement, to cure a clutch basket runout harmonic vibration that was breaking primary chains and chain cases.

The exhaust notes from my Norton Commando 850 twin and BSA 441 Victor Special single were music to my ears.
I had an early BSA Victor for a couple years. Very sweet little bike when it ran. It had that goofy energy transfer ignition, which was another Lucas disaster. That aluminum tank was a thing of beauty.

Back
Top Bottom