1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Audioquest cables with DBS

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by eteller, Oct 10, 2018.

1. eteller

eteller AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anybody got em' thoughts? I'm putting together a small system and just swapped a Evergreen from pre to amp with a Big Sur and the wife heard the difference, I've heard the cables with DBS are impressive. I want advice before I drop $259 on a 0.6m Victoria.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EyeGee

EyeGee Big Ears Subscriber

3. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use CV-6 speaker cable with DBS and Jaguar IC's with DBS (pre-amp to x-over). I've played with a number of AQ DBS cables and they are good. if you fall into the camp of folks who hear a difference in cables (some do and some don't) then they are worth the coin - great cables. I'm not sure that they are "better" than some other cable w/o DBS, but the DBS system does something - and it is good. I also make a lot of my own IC's (tri-amped system) using a high quality solid core pure silver IC cable and quality RCA's and or XLR's (as is needed) and I have to say that I like those quite well also . But ... you won't go wrong with AQ DBS cables, and if I felt comfortable parting with the cash - I'd use them on all my IC's and speaker runs.

4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

Yes.

I went up the AQ interconnect and speaker cabling line and tried several others before finding what I believe is the synergistic sweet spot.

Surprisingly an older set of Jaguar 48DBS interconnects won my own in-house shoot out.

Rockefeller 36DBS speaker cables were not a good match for my system setup.

So, imho, it's about ears on listening to pick what works best.

5. eteller

eteller AK Subscriber Subscriber

This brings up a good point where do you source your silver wire from please? I want to make a nice ground wire and might play with IC's.

6. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

The silver interconnect wire is from Parts Connexion. It's made by DH Labs for Parts Connexion. Unlike most of the DH Labs cable it is solid silver instead of silver plated copper (I don't care for the sound of silver plated copper). It's the Connex brand and its called BL-Ag - 23 guage solid core silver x2 with an additional ground wire. This works really well with the KLEI RCA's - great sounding IC. It also works well with XLR's (Vampire, etc.) to make a nice sounding balanced cable.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. runnin'

runnin' Super Member

I've dabbled in the audioquest line and found them to be the real deal. I went from Morrow MA5 to Audioquest Sydney, and it was a clear improvement in my system. The Sydney is a really nice cable, and I imagine that the DBS system would be better. The thing is, it depends on your system, whether it's resolving enough to display improvements or not.

And Audioquest doesn't solder anything. That's one area where the diy cable idea has its weakness.