Audioquest Jitterbug

drum2live

I recently read about a device called the Jitterbug by Audioquest. It is a computer audio accessory that plugs in between the computer and the USB cable. It is claimed to clean the impurities out of the transmission before it reaches the DAC. It is about the size of a flash drive and is about $50. Has anyone tried one of these?

Haters will probably hate but it's on my shopping list. I like Audioquest and their products a lot.

I have one on backorder through a dealer. It's more of a 5v lime voltage filter from what I read.

My DAC does not run off from the USB voltage, but if that voltage has the high frequency garbage removed from it, the Jitterbug could still improve sound in my circumstance due to there being less HF noise being emitted from the power wires to the signal wires along the length of the USB cable. Just a theory. I suppose putting tape over the power tabs on my USB cable so there was no voltage going through it would do the same thing.

I just saw a photo of a Jitterbug "in the nude" and it definitely has more going on than 5v power conditioning. Another thing I thought of; I store all my hi rez on flash drives. To me, it sounds better than the files being on a hard drive (but I have never tried a solid state drive too much $$$). Anyway, it would be interesting to have a Jitterbug in between one of my hi rez music flash drives and the computer. Could be interesting.

Does it still look like this? Looks like two basic filtering circuits.

Attachments

• audioquest_jitterbug.jpg
    audioquest_jitterbug.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 116
As is all too often the case, "This product can only be shipped to US addresses." Music Direct.
Canada is the US's largest trading partner and still treated as a third world country.
Whatever!!!
:thumbsdn:

Looking at an enlarged picture I see that the foil runs for both the power and the signal are filtered. It appears that the power is filtered with capacitors and the signal is filtered with inductors.

I've been looking forward to AKer reviews on the jitterbug. I use a Dragonfly for demo at the shop and notice when some laptops are plugged in there is an annoying high frequency sound from the DAC. Pull the power cord and run on battery it goes away. The Jitterbug I was hoping is the answer to filter out that noise.

To HVHiFi, this is why I build ATX format desktops for music servers. A person can purchase higher quality power supplies and if you are technically savvy you can add additional filtering to each powered section of the computer. I do not wish to sound pretentious, but my tower build has been compared to many other computers plus the Bryston server and sonically, my build has come out on top every time. It's really not discussed in the magazines, but laptops are not the best way to go for a High Res front end.

As is all too often the case, "This product can only be shipped to US addresses." Music Direct.
Canada is the US's largest trading partner and still treated as a third world country.
Whatever!!!
:thumbsdn:

Hey scuba,

Call Acoustic Sounds in Salina KS. I am certain they can get one to you no problem. They may not be advertising it yet, but they are AQ dealer.

Thanks ManyMoons. I'll look into it. It just rubs me the wtong way sometimes. A pet peeve I guess.

To HVHiFi, this is why I build ATX format desktops for music servers. A person can purchase higher quality power supplies and if you are technically savvy you can add additional filtering to each powered section of the computer. I do not wish to sound pretentious, but my tower build has been compared to many other computers plus the Bryston server and sonically, my build has come out on top every time. It's really not discussed in the magazines, but laptops are not the best way to go for a High Res front end.

Thank you drum3live. I prefer desktops and usually build my own. Going to build a nice media center for demos of DACs.

Reminds me of the boxes that are inserted between the transport and DAC for regular DD reproduction to reduce 'jitter'.

Just got one and stuck it in the system in line with my USB DAC.

Will leave it in place for a couple of days and then remove it and listen.

AudioQuest Jitterbug is interesting product for me, I'm also thinking getting one for my self as well.
I saw this review on Head-Fi and I thought it might be helpful to AK members.

Quote from reviewer twister6,
"The results are very noticeable when you hear a pitch black background with a clean and clear transient of notes, especially in more instrumental and less complicated music compositions where sound has a room to breathe. The improvements are also noticeable with other usb DAC devices, but to a different degree. In my opinion, for under $50 (JitterBug price) this will be a very valuable upgrade for anybody who has an external usb audio interface."

Looks like good investment for people like me who is using external USB devices.
I might get one when I'm done with my upgrades for analog playback.

Steve

I ended up using one in the unused usb port on my NAS and one on my AURALiC ARIES streamer. However, not inline with a usb cable. I prefer it as a noise snubber.

Back
Top Bottom