Audiosource Amp-100 Questions

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by hoodsy, Jul 9, 2012.

1. hoodsy

hoodsy New Member

I would like to try and figure out if this is really the case; I have a budget of <150 for a preamp, and with a preamp i should be able to power another pair of speakers right?

Would it be possible to do this? Have a preamp to go with the Audiosource amp and get another pair of speakers?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. krowmagnum

krowmagnum Compulsive speaker freak

No, but if you have a 200 watt amp and use it without a preamp you won't get anywhere near the full output of the amp.

3. hoodsy

hoodsy New Member

You are able to select both speakers A+B at the same time on the amp. Do I need a preamp to run 2 speakers at once or will the amp alone be sufficient to do this?

4. Glen B

Glen B Super Member

You MAY not get full output. That is a function of the source's output voltage and amp's input voltage required for full output. IMHO you should have said that. You made it sound like a preamp somehow transformed an amp into a more powerful unit. Now that I know where you're coming from, that clears thing up.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  5. hoodsy

hoodsy New Member

Can anyone answer my question? You ARE able to run speakers A+B at the same time, but to do this would I need a preamp? Or would the audiosource amp100 be able to power both by itself?

6. krowmagnum

krowmagnum Compulsive speaker freak

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread the amp you have can only run one pair of speakers at a time. A or B, but not both. Adding a second amp would give you the ability to run two pairs of speakers at the same time.

7. AVService

AVService Well-Known Member

You can indeed run 2 pairs at the same time from this amp.

All you need to do is push in both buttons together and they will both stay connected.
    They clearly do not want it done this way as they do interlock themselves to only let 1 at a time play but then they are also easily both engaged if needed as well.

I am sure they are just concerned with sustained lower impedance operation killing the amp but I have installed probably 50 of these and have yet to have a single one die and I routinely run too low an impedance on them.

Great little amp for the money and really flexible with the built in switching and VC.

Ed

8. hoodsy

hoodsy New Member

Hey AVService, it seems like you are well experienced with this amplifier. Are there any preamps that you would recommend using with it? I have a budget of <200 dollars.

9. AVService

Sorry,I rarely use these with a PreAmp in a stand alone system. I will normally use them as Zone amps in a large distributed system where they are fed signal from some big multi-zone control or as a 2nd zone output of a HT receiver.

I have used them with various Parasound PreAmps and really like the little Z-Pre for example but you would have to hunt one down for $200.00.

It does not really matter which PreAmp you use and I would just find the nicest one you can for the money,Any PreAmp should work without a hitch with almost every amp out there.

I recently picked up an Emotiva DAC which can also act like a PreAmp but only for digital sources as they were on sale for $200.00 shipped.
    If they still are and you can live with Digital only sources it would be tough to think of any better PreAamp new for the money?

Ed

10. hoodsy

hoodsy New Member

Great, that will definitely help my search process.....

any thoughts on pairs of speakers to go with this amp? mine are pretty old, and i'm going to be looking to upgrade soon. again, <200 bucks.

11. AVService

I don't really know how to address such a broad and boundless question?
    Any speaker you like that will work with the power this amp has will be just fine.

I have no idea how or why anyone would want a suggestion about a speaker choice especially without any idea at all what your situation and likes are?

Get out and look and listen and decide what you want and don't want and hunt something down,that is a huge part of what makes this hobby what it is.

Ed

12. chodad

chodad Well-Known Member

How do you hook a preamp to these amps? I tried one (line 2) and the sound was all distorted. It plays clear by itself but I want more gain.