Audire Audio Components

It will be here Monday. It is just sitting in a terminal near Pittsburgh now :( . I am using RCA's, but the jumpers are MIA. Isn't it basically a U-shaped 12 ga. copper wire between pins #1 and#2 on the XLR's?

It will be here Monday. It is just sitting in a terminal near Pittsburgh now :( . I am using RCA's, but the jumpers are MIA. Isn't it basically a U-shaped 12 ga. copper wire between pins #1 and#2 on the XLR's?

Yes, the Shorting straps go between the 1 and 2 pins. Oddly enough the Diffet 3 Preamp from Audire doesn't have Balanced outputs. It's the only reason I've ever used the shorting straps. Most of the other Preamps that I own have XLR outputs so that's what I use more commonly.

Make one up ?

XLR's aren't hard to find and some have screw terminals -so you don't even need a soldering iron.Making up a jumper that way leaves the XLR's undamaged -a definite advantage on a collectable piece like this amp.

Does anyone know where one can find a wiring diagram for any Audire product like the Forte? I did find some MPQ6600's for this amp. Someone had cobbled a pair of little dual transistor IC's but they are totally unstable. These amps do not work well with differential pairs that are not well matched since the amp has no provisions for offset voltage adjustment. I have a feeling this amp is very similar to a Pass design after having pulled the one channel out and having re-capped the circuit board. Now I wait for my MPQ6600's to arrive and replace the cob job that is in there and see what happens. I checked all the other transistors and none checked bad. Neither did any of the diodes on the board. Output transistors all check good as well. This amp is cool in that you can power up each channel by it's self. Makes it nice to work on. This amp is peculiar in that the one channel, at power up, has almost 40 volts offset voltage which slowly drops to zero then climbs back up to about -1.75 volts. I checked the rail voltages as well as a few others at power up and it appears to be an initial bias issue that goes slowly away. When I hit the two cobbled in IC's that replaced the original MPQ6600, the thing again goes up to about 40 volts offset voltage and as the IC's come back to room temperature, the thing again drops in offset voltage telling me I at least have a thermal issue with these IC's. Anyway, I prefer to return this channel back to it's original configuration with a single MPQ6600 quad transistor chip that it was designed to use. Then I'll try a few more tests.

living right?

You have definitly had your quota of luck for this year in finding MPQ-6600's -the unobtanium grail!

Audireophile

I used a Model 2 amp and Diffet 1A preamp from Audire for years. The 1A has moving coil switches. I now use two Diffet 3's, an Audire POCO head amp, and two Audire Forte's powering B&W 803's plus subs. I could not be happier. Since I have had this setup, I have bought and sold 350 wpc Classe, 150 WPC X 6 Classe bridged for 300 x3, and their associated preamps, Sumo, Acoustat, SAE (junk), Phase Linear (Pretty good amp), Rotel, Sansui, Yamaha, Mark Levinson and more. The "JC", John Curl designed Mark Levinson equipment is as goods as the Audire, but not better sounding. Julius still answers the phone to help. He is the Best! So is the sound.

I used a Model 2 amp and Diffet 1A preamp from Audire for years. The 1A has moving coil switches. I now use two Diffet 3's, an Audire POCO head amp, and two Audire Forte's powering B&W 803's plus subs. I could not be happier. Since I have had this setup, I have bought and sold 350 wpc Classe, 150 WPC X 6 Classe bridged for 300 x3, and their associated preamps, Sumo, Acoustat, SAE (junk), Phase Linear (Pretty good amp), Rotel, Sansui, Yamaha, Mark Levinson and more. The "JC", John Curl designed Mark Levinson equipment is as goods as the Audire, but not better sounding. Julius still answers the phone to help. He is the Best! So is the sound.
I'd actually like to get in touch with him. can you pm his contact info , if you have it . the Internet archive of the old audire site is now being blocked so none of the data from the site is accessible to Web crawlers anymore which is a shame . it's as if people are blocking Web history for their own gain these days. It's been happening with a lot of sites lately.

The Forte is a beast of an amp given its relatively compact form factor. damn thing is heavy as hell too. it went through a few changes over the years it seems. connector type and location, faceplate and rack handles got a makeover too at some point. fuse holders also seemed to move around. only thing missing was bridging capability on Audire amps. most likely his choice to not include it.

Last edited:
The Otez and Parlondo are some of the best amps I ever heard. These can draw enough current on powering them up to pop standard 15 amp breakers.[/QUOTE]
I acquired an Otez from a studio that went belly up. I use it in my home system with a Cary SLP-03, powering some Vandersteen 2s. I love that beast! I've used it for a decade and it's never had an issue. Just recently moved into an older house with a lot of "home-owner" added wiring, and noticed it was tripping the breaker every time I turned it on! I had it plugged directly into the wall, but had to move it to my power conditioner to prevent the tripping. I heard that wasn't a recommended practice, but I have no choice......well, no affordable choice.

The Otez and Parlondo are some of the best amps I ever heard. These can draw enough current on powering them up to pop standard 15 amp breakers.
I acquired an Otez from a studio that went belly up. I use it in my home system with a Cary SLP-03, powering some Vandersteen 2s. I love that beast! I've used it for a decade and it's never had an issue. Just recently moved into an older house with a lot of "home-owner" added wiring, and noticed it was tripping the breaker every time I turned it on! I had it plugged directly into the wall, but had to move it to my power conditioner to prevent the tripping. I heard that wasn't a recommended practice, but I have no choice......well, no affordable choice.[/QUOTE]

I've been hoarding Audire Forte amps lately since I missed the one Parlando that surfaced a while back to another AKer who was quicker on the Ebay Draw than I was. :) I just bumped my "LOOKING FOR" listing on another site today oddly enough. My Otez is paired with a Parasound P5 at the moment and they sound great together. I still have the Audire Diffet 3 Preamp and Poco phono stage as well. Audire is definitely in my Top 10 Favorite amps that I've owned right alongside Aragon .

It's a one man thread but that's what happens when you're playing with gear that's off the radar.
Plenty of Audire amps showed up for sale in the past year though. Even an Otez which I passed up. ( it was an earlier model with the single power switch).

The thread revival this time is for a New Pic. The monster amp is back in rotation ( so move over McIntosh MC500) Paired with other oddball components that aren't necessarily on anyone's MUST HAVE list. - They're all welcome return visitors that make a solid ensemble and sounds pretty damn nice.

System: Audire Otez, Parasound Halo P5 Preamp, EAD T-1000 CD Transport, Acoustic Energy Aegis One monitors,

Cables/Interconnects:
Mogami Gold XLR, Transparent The Wave speaker cables, Custom Coax w/ Neutrik Pro-Fi Connectors.

A Snell PS10 sub is slated to be added this weekend if not sooner.

DSC_0364.JPG

Keep the Audire gear coming.
:)

With that in mind., here are a few more pics for Size Comparison:
Audire Otez vs. McIntosh MC500
Moving these things was no small feat , but It was done in the spirit of good Karma .. but oh my aching back heheh :)

DSC_0386.JPG

DSC_0385.JPG

DSC_0384.JPG

DSC_0389.JPG

Who knows of a vendor who does custom metal work? I'm looking to have a face plate done for the Otez, with the Audire logo etched or cut into the metal.

Last edited:
Solo shot of the Audire Diffet 3 Pre-amp. I'm sure there are others out there but I've yet to come across another one.

DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG DSC_0312.JPG

The Otez is one of the few amps that just has complete control of the bass and frankly it won't clip before your speakers start on fire -tremendous power reserves -just keeps doubling down. But you will need a 20Amp breaker on the power line for this amp -the inrush current is substantial.

I haven't fully scoured the internet, but this thread seems like a good place to start.

I was recently given an Audire 2M amplifier and Diffet 1A pre-amp. I've just gone through some basic checks and the good news is that both seem to work ok. They do need a good cleanup.

One of my first goals is to convert them to 240V (Australia) mains power. Both units appear to be dual voltage, but changeable with the transformer wiring. The pre-amp seems straight forward, it's power transformer has a legend written on the case. The transformer on the power amp will require more investigation.

Whilst the power amp works (you can play music through it) the meters seem to be dis-functional as well as the LEDs under the meters. It maybe something simple, but a schematic / service manual would be really helpful.

My final question is on the pre-amp. I tested all the inputs except the Phono. It seems to be both MC and MM capable ? There are switches for resistive loading and gain but it only has one set of phono inputs. I'm a bit reluctant to hook anything up to this input until I understand how that is meant to work.

I plan to clean these up and keep them. Is there any information / documentation available anywhere?

I bought my Otez new when Audire was still in business. My first Audire was the Forte which I traded in to buy the Otez. Using an Audio Research SP4A preamp and Infinity QLS speakers.As has been stated the thing is a beast. 90 lbs. And no, I'm not planning on selling it any time soon. I'm on the lookout for an Onkyo Grand Integra M-510.

I bought my Otez new when Audire was still in business. My first Audire was the Forte which I traded in to buy the Otez. Using an Audio Research SP4A preamp and Infinity QLS speakers.As has been stated the thing is a beast. 90 lbs. And no, I'm not planning on selling it any time soon. I'm on the lookout for an Onkyo Grand Integra M-510.

Hello Corrine ,

Is yours the early single power switch model or the dual ..? Does anyone know if Julius is with us and have a contact number , it's been awhile and i have lost his info ...

Regards ..

Back
Top Bottom