Austin City Limits - what a great Media Venue

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
So, after you guys mentioned the Pretenders show on ACL a couple weeks back (which I caught and enjoyed), so I set the DVR to snag that show every week. It plays Sunday morning on WETA-TV at 9AM in our area. Its a nice clean video with great audio (and best of all, no commercials!).
This morning I flipped the TV on as I was cleaning up after breakfast, recognized the music as something I knew, (not always true) and a minute later, I realized it was Nora Jones and her band, sounding great!

Gotta get ready and head to church shortly, but the TIVO Roamio is grabbing that show in great fidelity and I'll enjoy it when I get some time later today - or maybe Thanksgiving.

Maybe we could make a thread here to comment on the Austin City Limits show each week?

I've been recording ACL since the bad ol' VCR days. Still do, when interested, on the DVR.

I wish they would rerun the older songwriters specials. They were exceptional.

There's also quite a few older shows available on DVD that you might not encounter otherwise. I've gotten Texas Tornados, Neko Case, Buck Owens, Flatlanders (Joe Ely), Dave Alvin, Susan Tedeschi and quite a few others. Lots more to buy as finances permit.

Cheers,
Larry B.

I've been recording ACL since the bad ol' VCR days. Still do, when interested, on the DVR.

I wish they would rerun the older songwriters specials. They were exceptional.

There's also quite a few older shows available on DVD that you might not encounter otherwise. I've gotten Texas Tornados, Neko Case, Buck Owens, Flatlanders (Joe Ely), Dave Alvin, Susan Tedeschi and quite a few others. Lots more to buy as finances permit.

Cheers,
Larry B.

I have the Neko Case, excellent concert.

One of my favorites. They run a lot of the Best of's on MTVL during the day. Set your DVR, I watch then on the TV with my granddaughter during the day. She shakes her booty when they are on. (13 months old, a riot!) They run them all day until 3PM when the crap starts. We move on to something else.

The crap is called TRL.

Last edited:
I don't watch nearly as much as I should, but it's a fantastic show. Really enjoyed the Wilco episodes.

The episode w/ Nine Inch Nails was awesome :music:

Optical out of my Dish Hopper to Schiit Audio DAC to 2.1 ch stereo. Never would
have believed some years ago that TV broadcast could sound so good.

Last edited:
I love ACL. I especially love the eclecticism -- you get rock, country, folk, Tex-Mex, Texas Swing, blues, fusion, grunge, hip-hop ... pretty much everything except straight ahead jazz and classical. I check it out every week.

So a few minute ago I'm reading a tech site talking about VR gear and I read ...

Austin City Limits: Backstage will be a 10-part series with each episode featuring a different artist or group.
The first three episodes, which are available now, focus on Ed Sheeran, the Zac Brown Band and Unsung Heroes.
You can check them out using your Cardboard or Google Daydream View here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLrFzxcwT97ROXn3JAiDIqQ?disable_polymer=true

Yep, apparently if you have the right gear, you watch some ACL shows in VR ...! woah!
I've got the cardboard viewer for my iphone 6S+ - so I guess I'll have time to check it out over the holidays!

Many many years ago ACL did a retrospective of their early shows and one particular jam session stood out for me. Itzhak Perlman, Jean Luc Ponty & Doug Kershaw, the most eclectic violin trio in history. Mr. Perlman, seated playing with that beautiful tone of his, Jean Luc Ponty standing stock still,as was his want, next to him and Doug Kershaw hopping around like the crazy cajun he was sawing away madly. Three more diverse styles of playing you have never seen before or since. I imagine it is out there somewhere on You Tube.

Many many years ago ACL did a retrospective of their early shows and one particular jam session stood out for me. Itzhak Perlman, Jean Luc Ponty & Doug Kershaw, the most eclectic violin trio in history. Mr. Perlman, seated playing with that beautiful tone of his, Jean Luc Ponty standing stock still,as was his want, next to him and Doug Kershaw hopping around like the crazy cajun he was sawing away madly. Three more diverse styles of playing you have never seen before or since. I imagine it is out there somewhere on You Tube.
That sounds like something worth searching for.

There is a great David Hough interview in the Mar/April 2013 issue of Tape Op magazine.

https://tapeop.com/interviews/94/david-hough/

Last year around this time I caught an old Tom Waits episode that was aired.

That one, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, The Black Keys, The Pixies, Ralph Stanley, Sonic Youth, Jack White and Doc Watson and memorable.

It comes on late Saturday night around here. I try to catch it if I'm home.

You can go to this page and watch many full shows, interviews and clips of single songs:

http://acltv.com/watch/

upload_2017-11-22_21-32-47.png

In the early days you could just go and pick up tickets the day of the show at the UT Communications Building where it was filmed. Only show I remember specifically was Jimmy Buffet. Now, it's not so easy to get tickets unless you make significant contributions to the local PBS station although a small number of tickets are distributed to the general public.

You can also live stream the tapings on youtube - if this is the full show, you can hear more than what they put on video for the showings. A friend of mine played pedal steel with Charlie Robison years ago when he did a show. He said that they actually played for about 40-45 minutes and then it was cut to about 25 so that they can have two performers on the one-hour broadcast.

Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys is coming up and you can catch the live stream here -

ACL is amazing. I'd like to see Dan. So far I've seen Ringo, Gordon Lightfoot, Christopher Cross....there is someone else I'm forgetting. With Ringo came Todd Rungreen and Cross had Mike Love from the Beach Boys.

ACL is indeed a good resource, for me it's especially good for turning me on to new bands I would of otherwise ignored. They have been at it for a long time and their list of performers is probably the strongest of any US program, radio or TV. Sort of an American "Peel Sessions". I just recently saw the band The National, who were completely off my radar. Great stuff!

Lucinda Williams did an incredible set on ACL. One of the best performances of Pineola I ever heard was on ACL. Didn't know The Pretenders were on ACL! Love that band very much.

Back
Top Bottom