AV preamps no love?

Both my C34V and MX130 (same as a C39) have MM phono circuitry mounted on 2" x 3" sections of circuit board. The tiny boards are not used because Mac cheap. It is because the lead lengths are shorter keeping noise, etc. lower. They both use two low noise dual op amps and a collection of weird value resistors and caps in the feedback loop to match the RIAA phono equalization standard. It is not rocket science at this stage of audio technology. The only preamp I have seen that attempted to go one step further was my old Apt-Holman with about six different resistive and capacitive input setting. I don't recall any of the positions making much difference with my Shure V15 III. I guess people who spend $5,000 for a TT have a predisposition to spend another $5,000 on a separate phono preamp that probably has two low noise dual op amps and a collection of weird value resistors and caps to match the RIAA phono equalization standard. Of course, tubes will make it better. Sit back, enjoy the music and temporarily forget about the equipment.

Most high quality phono preamp use discrete circuit, or combination of discrete front end and opamp in RIAA filter. Today there are only TWO opamps made by single manufacturer which are suitable for front circuit of phono preamp. That is why discrete circuit allows more flexibility.

Most high quality phono preamp use discrete circuit, or combination of discrete front end and opamp in RIAA filter. Today there are only TWO opamps made by single manufacturer which are suitable for front circuit of phono preamp. That is why discrete circuit allows more flexibility.
Who is the manufacturer and what are the part numbers?
Thanks

I had a C39 for a while and enjoyed it. Several years ago I picked up a mint MX-132 and have been extremely happy with it. Its 2 channel performance is better than any other preamp that I have owned (Kenwood, Carver, Rotel). I watch many concert DVDs and the DTS performance is outstanding. You can tailor the settings to the room as the 132 allows you to enter speaker distances and setting delays etc. My 132 also has the tuner module, the FM is sensitive and sounds great but AM is just OK, even after purchasing the McIntosh RAA-1 remote AM antenna. As far as video processing, I bypass the 132, running HDMI directly to the television. I had AudioClassics go over the unit and update the software in 2015. They corrected a known issue with the unit not coming out of standby mode. Unfortunately the problem seems to have returned in the past week. Fortunately, cycling the master power switch resets the unit without losing the settings. I think the MX-132 is a bargain in today's market.

Last edited:
Check out the Lexicon MC-4, 8 or 12, the current used price is really a bargain. The only issue, it is not a McIntosh. But the 2-channel stereo L7 sounds really excellent.

Back
Top Bottom