1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Av receiver and HS8’s

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by brunomarcs, Oct 25, 2018.

1. brunomarcs

brunomarcs New Member

About 2 yrs ago I picked up this Yamaha av receiver RX V563. Never could figure out how to hook it up to my TV. Recently picked up these HS8S powered monitors brand new in a box. Got a good deal from the same pawn shop I always stop in and check once a month en route to New Orleans. Can these speakers be used with this unit? What kind of patch cords do I need?

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

I use their little brother, the HS5s everyday in an edit suite; they are a decent speaker.

IF your receiver has preouts, just run an RCA from it to the speakers. If it doesn’t have a preout, I don’t know how to get around that. All other outputs are going to have a full fixed level, which isn’t going to help you.

3. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are no preamp RCA outputs on your Yamaha. So, no direct connections to your powered monitors. But, you could try a speaker level converter. They're often used in car stereo installs, to add separate amps to a stock head unit. Crutchfield sells a couple.

Scosche LOC90

Scosche SLC4

4. brunomarcs

brunomarcs New Member

I will say that I downloaded the manual on this receiver 104 pages supposedly you program the receiver to allow it to be connected or used through various means of which you have available? I assumed I could use just about anything. Would the speaker level converter work for sure? Should I just sell these monitors? Thanks for the replies

5. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

I would sell those HS8s, just not a good match with your receiver.

If you had a preamp, or a tuner/pre, or an integrated with preouts, you would be golden.

6. brunomarcs

brunomarcs New Member

I have an mx 1000, intergrate jvc, Kenwood and access to many carver units from a friend those vintage amps would work then?

7. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Whatever gear you're looking to use, it has to have RCA preamp outputs, in order to connect your powered monitors. Plus, even then, you'll need adapters, as your speakers have XLR and 1/4" heaphone jack inputs, but no RCA inputs.

8. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Powered monitors are really intended to be used with an AV Processor.

9. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

10. Ibemiked

Ibemiked Active Member

You could use the Zone2 outputs with a standard RCA to 1/4inch plug. You would only have stereo sound And most receivers can only produce analog signals out of zone2. It would work though. You would need to set Receiver to zone2 it's usually used for 2nd room auxiliary speakers. Not an ideal setup. Find something with preouts.

11. brunomarcs

brunomarcs New Member

I could buy a used av processor, I hate to sell these monitors without hearing them you know what I mean. I asked a guy on a job today who installs Audio Systems for a living, I’m doing the roof, and he hasn’t a clue what I’m talking about.

12. Ibemiked

Ibemiked Active Member

Those are sweet speakers! They're usually used for studio monitors. They will sound great with a receiver with preouts. A lot of the Yamaha Receivers have 5.1 or 7.1 preout. Your receiver has 5.1 multi channel in but just the zone2 and subwoofer out. Maybe you could trade that receiver in towards a receiver or preamp with stereo or 5.1/7.1 preout. You could also use a mixer, any non powered mixer will work. If you do get something 5.1 or 7.1 with preout use the front channel outs to the speakers. You will need the Standard RCA to 1/4inch adaptors, they sell adaptors or you could get cables with rca on one end and 1/4inch on the other. All Guitar Centers and most music stores sell them.