AV8801 -- analog output

samwise801

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Greetings everyone! I have an AV8801 and am about to integrate a tape deck into my system. The AV8801 (thankfully!) has one analog output ("Media Player") I will connect to the tape deck's Rec Input, so I can record things like records, etc.

My question is, does anyone know if signals going to this output are subject to the unit's signal processing before going there? Or was Marantz savvy enough to shunt signals to this Output before they undergo Audyssey, etc.?

i.e., ideally analog signals that come from, say, my turntable will go to the "Media Player" analog output before the unit converts them to digital, washes them with all the sound processing, and so on. Or, if it must Analog-to-Digital convert everything that comes in, at least it sends the signal there for Digital-to-Analog before it goes through all the other processing goodies.

Does anyone know how Marantz / the AV8801 handles this? Is anyone using this output for a similar purpose? My impression is that most (quality) pre-amps have always done this properly -- signals went to the Rec Out outputs before processing, etc. so they weren't colored by, say, tone controls -- but in this new generation of "home theater" pre-pros, I worry things might work differently.

What d'ya all think, and/or know, and/or speculate??

Last edited:
Hi there I know that this is old but I see that you never really got a response to this very important question. Here we are in 2021 and I finally purchased this processor and was wondering the same thing. Did you ever find out? I personally have been using the “media player” analog pre outs to my Adcom gfp750 Preamp auxiliary input to use the streaming capabilities of the 8801. To me it sounds unprocessed outside of the DAC in the 8801. It’s very good. Did you get anymore info on this? The other thing I was wondering what the coltage output was of the analog outs? Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom