Is it not possible that even if a processor converts BD output to DTS or DD, the result will be of different quality than that provided by a DVD source?

If it's actually a different version of the soundtrack/master/recording, sure, it could sound different. However, it would have to be that the soundtrack is different then, because the player, afaik, is not converting the high def tracks, it's actually playing the native DD or DTS track that is also on the disc.

Last edited:
Mouse? Resume? Please explain Dave, I don't know what you're talking about.

OK, you see, they make blu-ray drives for computers too. Not just standalone. I have a nice 24" widescreen LCD that's nice to watch from my bed. Said blu-rays do not support mouse or resume functions in standard blu-ray replay software such as PowerDVD or WinDVD (nothing else plays blu-rays natively I'm afraid due to stupid patents and DRM crap that's ruining the industry and removing consumer rights).

Not everyone watches blu-rays solely on TVs with dedicated stand alone players.

Dave

PS my blu-ray drive can burn to sl and dl discs, can your players?

.......if a disc is equipped with a Dolby Digital track but it is not selected manually, what comes out of a BD player's optical or coaxial digital output is a DTS version of the discs' lossless PCM track, converted "on the fly" by the player. To be more specific, a 1536kbps DTS stream which is that format's highest data rate, which is approximately equivalent to a 500kbps(!) MP3 file.......
Stupid internet - computers aren't ever supposed to be wrong! :D

Well I have to correct myself. I'm not in the market for a BD player so the above info was a bit scrambled, because when I read it I guess I wasn't all that interested! :angel: I was sort of close though - check out this page concerning Dolby Digital Plus (I am 99.9% sure the Dolby Corp. people make sure this page is maintained accurately):
E-AC-3, more commonly known as Dolby Digital Plus......is not backward compatible with existing AC-3 hardware, though E-AC-3 decoders generally are capable of transcoding to AC-3 or DTS for equipment connected via S/PDIF.

As far as DTS' high resolution formats known as DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio, this wikipedia page - which uses DTS Inc's own white paper as a source for the main entry for DTS-HD MA - says this:
........All Blu-ray and HD DVD players can decode the DTS "core" resolution soundtrack at 1.5 Mbit/s, however.
So a regular DTS data stream is provided along with the more hi-res streams in case someone doesn't have the proper decoder.

Last edited:
PS my blu-ray drive can burn to sl and dl discs, can your players?

No...but I bought a player for movies, not a read/writer. BTW/FWIW, I do have a BD computer drive too, but it basically isn't worth scat because my video card isn't HDCP-compliant. Something I didn't know about before I bought the computer drive.

DRM is sadly, something that pretty much all stuff has these days. Avatar's DRM caused all sorts of problems, which I can confirm, since our blu-ray player also suffered them too.

I wouldn't worry about bass below 30hz, since few systems (and rooms) can support it properly.

Dave

No...but I bought a player for movies, not a read/writer. BTW/FWIW, I do have a BD computer drive too, but it basically isn't worth scat because my video card isn't HDCP-compliant. Something I didn't know about before I bought the computer drive.

That's gotta suck about the non HDCP compliant card. I watch almost no TV (no interest to be honest), and watch all my DVDs and blu-rays on my PC. 24" isn't super large, but it's pretty much OK for me. And I thought why not go with a blu-ray burner, since I can start moving my many backup discs for images to blu-ray. Yes, I know HDDs are cheaper, but sometimes, having several redundancy methods is best (I back up to DVD, a raid 1 hdd array on my PC, and a separate USB portable hdd). An extra option isn't a bad thing, even if blank discs are very expensive.

It's still very antiquated technology that blu-rays mostly do NOT support mouse and resume functions when played on a computer, especially since DVDs have been doing this for 10+ years.

Dave

"I've seen Avatar six times. I like it fine. I'm giving it four stars, the highest rating I've given a film since Return of The King (for which I gave ten stars). To be honest, every time I walk out of the theaters, I'm a little depressed, (I feel like one and a half stars). Once you see the world in 3D, it's hard to g...o back...The film inspired me to build my own Avatar (I'm abandoning Iron Man suit plans)."

"Had I been on Pandora instead of Jake Sully, I would have done things differently. First of all, my legs work. Secondly, I would have seduced Princess Neytiri earlier on; it wouldn't take two hours of film for us to consummate. And thirdly, the movie would have had a good ending (the film's biggest flaw)."

"I've seen Avatar six times. I like it fine. I'm giving it four stars, the highest rating I've given a film since Return of The King (for which I gave ten stars). To be honest, every time I walk out of the theaters, I'm a little depressed, (I feel like one and a half stars). Once you see the world in 3D, it's hard to g...o back...The film inspired me to build my own Avatar (I'm abandoning Iron Man suit plans)."

Have you build other things, like space ships, time machines,... Building Avatars is not for beginners.

We finally broke down and rented it. My daughter and i both thought "Meh". About a third of the way through I was ready to put on something else as I was falling asleep. We stuck it out and it got a bit better, but after all the hype, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It did look good, though If it wasn't for the hot chopper pilot, I would have went and read a book.

I did think the sound was well done. In most movies of it's type, the sound engineers seem to think they need to come over to my house and beat on my subwoofer until it crys uncle. My B&W asw-1000 isn't exactly a slouch and I haven't had it break up like my NHT used to, but they sure try. Avatar was a lot more subtle in the deep bass area and I thought the sound was really well balanced. We had it cranking, in fact a friend came to the door and started looking for thunder outside. :D But it was controlled and not that overwhelming; how low can we push this bass. In fact it was comfortable even at loud volumes, which is a really nice and rare thing these days.

I bought the Blu Ray when it was release, but haven't gotten around to watching it. Too much music to listen to. I'd say I'm waiting for a rainy day, but it's Oregon and has been raining for the past 3 weeks.

I watched it last night, my stepson litterally bugged me into watching it, his mom and I have a 98in 1080p Projector rig so we fired it up.
I gotta admit the visual was entertaining as hell and it gave me a chance to put my new 15in Def Tech sub my dad gave me through its paces.
While it was visually great its story was less than original, it was sorta like "Dances with wolves" with blue people.

The movie lost me when I heard unobtainium used. It was a steep slide downhill after that. I think I was still pissed that I sat through that god awful and literally Titanic piece of garbage.

Interesting that this Avatar BD thread has attracted much more attention than the Zulu BD thread. And kind'a disheartening; know what I mean?

The movie lost me when I heard unobtainium used. It was a steep slide downhill after that. I think I was still pissed that I sat through that god awful and literally Titanic piece of garbage.

Yeah at first I thought the mountain was full of old unobtainable stereo parts, then I realized that it was just lazy writing. :D

Back
Top Bottom