Average Price Of Interconnects In Your Main System

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by Tripqzon, Dec 3, 2006.

?

How Much Did You Spend On Average For The Interconnects In Your Main System?

1. $0 - $10

124 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. $10 - $35

117 vote(s)
    28.5%
  3. $35 - $60

53 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. $60 - $100

33 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. $100 - $300

54 vote(s)
    13.1%
  6. $300 - $600

13 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. $600 - $1000

9 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. $1000 and Up

8 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Tripqzon

Tripqzon AK Subscriber Subscriber

I read a lot about the benefits, or not, of expensive interconnects. Let's find out what you spend on average for the interconnects in your main systems. I'm not looking to stir up any controversy here, this is just a poll.

Example: If you spent $30 on one set and $100 on another, the average would be $65. Were not looking for exact numbers here.

I realize that higher end systems will benefit more from higher end cables than mid-fi systems. So let's just have fun with this and I believe we can all learn a little something from this poll. Feel free to tell us why you spend what you do on interconnects, whether it be budgetary or whatever, but please let's not start a pissing contest.

Paul

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tripqzon

I'll start this poll out. I've spent on average $0 - $10. I run completely NXG cables that I purchased on the bay for less $10 a set with shipping. Don't think I'm cheap. I'm just thrifty and on a tight budget. I have to say I did hear a difference in my system over the hair thin rca's I've used in the past.

Paul

Attached Files:

3. jaymanaa

jaymanaa AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm using Phillips at about 10 bux a pair for RCAs, and a Sony for Digital Coax on the DAC which was 14. They seem ok to me. Jay

4. Yamaha B-2

Yamaha B-2 registered user

Assume you are talking MRSP. I always buy used, so get that great ~50% discount.

5. theblackknight

theblackknight Mikes off! No recording!

Right now Im just using a $25 monster cable from bestbuy. It's way too long though. Not sure why I got it that long.:headscrat

6. VinylHanger

VinylHanger Navigaret ex ironia

pretty much a buck or 2 at GW. I do have a couple of better ones, but they came with gear or were RS closeouts. I'm thinking of getting into the 11-35 dollar range to see what I have been missing. :D

7. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Important Component

I moved up to DHL Labs BL-1 Silver sonics at $16 avg off of eBay. then took a leap of faith on the recomendation of Roy At Green Mountain Audio (the designer/ owner) and found some Audio magic Excaliber II's on eBay at @ avg for $115 avg per pair, and he was right, a huge difference worth every penny spent.:banana: :banana: IMHO
    Still using the Silver sonics in my second system.
    Jim

Wildcat likes this.
  8. Urizen

Urizen Lunatic Member

I have been using DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 Series II in my main system, both balanced and unbalanced, for a number of years now, and have no desire to change. I paid about 60 bucks a pair for them new, and if I had to to re-wire my whole system it would get kinda expensive, so I am happy for now.

In all of my other systems, I use simple AR interconnects from BB at about $13 bucks a pair.

If I need more, I plan to try some Zebras, or build my own.

9. Tripqzon

I like the idea of building my own but haven't tried it yet. Definitely something I will attempt in the future.

Paul

10. Urizen

Urizen Lunatic Member

The CAT-5 cabling looks interesting, and easy.

Take care,

Ken

11. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

All my cables and IC's are DIY. The IC's are made like Kimber KCAG with 3 braided wires 2 silver 1 copper using WBT RCA's. My speaker cables are the full bore CAT-5 with 18 braided twisted pairs per speaker with Rhodium plated spades.:smoke:

12. Yamaha B-2

Yamaha B-2 registered user

I always buy my DIY cables. :D

13. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard!

14. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Born-again Nihilist

I've got a couple that are in the US$100+ range (two, to be completely specific), and several that are more like US$30-40, so I voted middlin'. Relatively cheap for an audiophool.

15. pbda

pbda Super Member

I thought that I'd experiment to see if some modestly-priced interconnects ($30-$70 range) would make a difference over the threadlike cheapo interconnects that seem to come as standard issue.

I bought a pair of Pro Solutions interconnects at Tweeter (about $30), a pair of AR interconnects via the internet ($35) and a pair of Audioquest Sidewinder interconnects from Musicdirect.com ($70).

My offhand impression is that any of these three sound better than the cheapo interconnects, but I am unable to differentiate between the three (though I have made no concerted effort to "test" them).

So a reasonably cost-effective way of experimenting, I guess. It would take a fair amount of convincing to get me to spring for big bucks interconnects, at least with my current ears and system!

16. Micropassatman

Micropassatman Swollen Member

My cables range in price from $6 at GW(new Monster coaxial digital and video), and $6 for Radio Shark digital opticals, to $12 for component video+toslink bundles via eBay. All-in-all, I have probably invested a few hundred dollars into the four systems at my home. The average cost per cable is probably $15 a set.

17. Negotiableterms

Negotiableterms Administrator Staff Member Admin Subscriber

This poll's tough for anyone with a long run between the pre and the amps. in my case, it's 20 ft, so that particular cable was costly, while the rest were reasonable.

Probably should have gone with cost per meter, or something.

18. dmax99

dmax99 Lookin' For Live

I recently splurged on a couple pair of Zebra I/Cs,about 50.00 a pair, shipped.I'm quite pleased with the results.....

19. Tripqzon

My apologies. I was figuring most of us have cables in the 1m to 3m range. 2m being average.

Paul

20. Cellist

Cellist New Member

Stuck with some old Monster IC's because of the Camac plugs on my Mark Levinson pre-amp.
    Ran close to $400/pr back in the 80's!!! Try and explain that to the wife :(