AVID thread

how much do you know about the avid 80

The AVID 80. This appeared to use CTS drivers(?).

i have a pair of the avid 80's but i need to re edge them. other then that they seem to work really good i was wondering if there was any other information that you had that could help me out.

And, voila, here they ARE! Ported AVID's!
Model 101. Built Dec. 21, 1977. According to the tags stapled to the bottom.
Yes, the bottom, for some reason, the terminals and the model info are on the bottom of the cabinets.

EDIT: And that's not all that is strange about this pair of AVIDS. Besides the drivers in front, they have a super-tweeter on the other three surfaces of each cabinet, in case anyone wanted to know!

Hey Johnny, good of you to post up those snapshots. Could you take a few closeups of those side mounted tweeters? They look like Peerless 2.25" cones. It would also help to have a shot of the woofer's magnet to see if it's a 30oz pup. It's really funny about AVID's lineup. It seems that there are changes to the design within the same model line-up... kinda confusing :scratch2:

Hey Johnny, good of you to post up those snapshots. Could you take a few closeups of those side mounted tweeters? They look like Peerless 2.25" cones. It would also help to have a shot of the woofer's magnet to see if it's a 30oz pup. It's really funny about AVID's lineup. It seems that there are changes to the design within the same model line-up... kinda confusing :scratch2:
Yes, will do, as soon as get off my lazy ass. :music:

Woohoo! An Avid thread!

I use a pair of Avid 102As that I found on ebay for $25 + $25 shipping a couple of years ago, and I think they sound great (they displaced my NHT Superone and sub, at any rate). From what I read at the time (mostly on the vintage asylum forum) Avids were highly regarded in their time, and some compared them favorably to the Advents, EPIs, etc. of the era.

They do have a more forward midrange than other NE speakers I've heard, which I like (listen to rock mostly, and jazz) - combined with the acoustic suspension design they have great, low, controlled bass, clear mids and nice highs (not that I have near the expertise or experience that many on here do).

I believe they are similar to 102s, but updated with the "wood" on the front panel, and the baffle going almost all the way to the front edges (without the wood frame on the front), like some of the other models pictured above. There used to be a pic on the web but looks like it's gone now.

The AVID 100. Note, again, the phenolic ring (CTS?) tweeter.

attachment.php

EDIT: AVID still exists, and still even sells speakers... sort of.
http://www.avidproducts.com/

The other, well known "Avid" company (which makes products for video editing and production) is, AFAIK, not related. They are, interestingly enough, located in Tewksbury, MA (about 5 miles from where I sit as I type this).
http://www.avid.com/index.asp

Just picked up a pair of A-100s (see pics), with a BIN. I already have way to many speakers, so why not add some more? I'll keep you all posted when I get them and test them out.

Attachments

• 24de_1_sbl.jpg
    24de_1_sbl.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 1ed1_1_sbl.jpg
    1ed1_1_sbl.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 72
I have had a pair of 110s given to me when I was young. Looked very decent but were mediocre in sound.

I trashed the tweeters pretty soon, which I replaced with some cheap Audax and gave to my sister. At one time she didn't want them any longer so they came back to me. The woofer foams were history by then but the little that was left allowed some music to be heard.

I trashed the drivers and kept the enclosures as they seemed decent (better than what I could build).

I am now in the process of reactivating them using a set of Kef B200 and T33 and appropriate crossover. The woofer fits the existing holes and the tweeter needs some slight carving/repair to be made.

I have had a pair of 110s given to me when I was young. Looked very decent but were mediocre in sound.

I trashed the tweeters pretty soon, which I replaced with some cheap Audax and gave to my sister. At one time she didn't want them any longer so they came back to me. The woofer foams were history by then but the little that was left allowed some music to be heard.

I trashed the drivers and kept the enclosures as they seemed decent (better than what I could build).

I am now in the process of reactivating them using a set of Kef B200 and T33 and appropriate crossover. The woofer fits the existing holes and the tweeter needs some slight carving/repair to be made.

That sounds like it will shape up nicely. Keep us posted! :thmbsp:

One year has gone by since I found a set of Avid 103s and I am still listening to them.

I recently saw a pair of Avid 102s selling for $30 in excellent shape. They still had the darn warranty cards stapled to the back. I didn't buy them because I have far too many speakers already.

I hope whoever bought those 102s enjoys the Karma. Avid doesn't have the rep some of the other vintage speakers have, but to my ears they sound pretty good.

I have a pair of Avid 230 "minimum diffraction" speakers and I love them. Made in 1978 (still has warranty tags on back). They are a 3-way design with 10 inch woofer (not alnico), midrange and tweeter. They have a tweeter and midrange switch (-3dB, 0dB & +3dB) plus they have resettable fused. The cabinets and grilles are about 90-95% mint. Cabinets are very solid and dead. The speakers are all excellent other than part of the foam on one of the woofers. I had them hooked (and cranked) up to a vintage Kenwood Super Eleven receiver and blew part of the foam. I did a temporary fix until I can refoam... Overall these are great speakers. Soundstage is wide and frequency response is broad. When I first got them (for $10 at a yard sale), I thought they were bass-shy because of the 10 inch woofer in a sealed cabinet. But when I played around with the placement I found they sound best close to side-walls. It seemed to improve the bass dramatically. They don't have booming, hard-hitting bass but tight quick bass. I'd say they go down to 30-40 hz range. The midrange is more than satisfying and is smooth and accurate. The treble is very crispy and airy sounding; comparable to EPI inverted dome tweeters but these go to higher frequencies and are more effecient. With a few certain types of music played through them, you have to turn the tweeters down to -3dB to tame them down. Not sure of the wattage they will take but I've put some serious juice to them and they've survived other than foam getting old. I'll post pictures soon...

I have a pair of 230's I picked up at the GW for $19.99. They needed a refoam but as you suggest, they are pretty good, especially for the price. I will have to see if I can find the link but somewhere i have a link to a brochure from back in the day that says the 230's are 150w speakers.

Avid 230 pre refoam
DSCF9025.jpg

Avid 230 post refoam
DSCF9036.jpg

Frequency control
DSCF9037.jpg

I love mine, I use them daily.

I recently saw a pair of Avid 102s selling for $30 in excellent shape. They still had the darn warranty cards stapled to the back. I didn't buy them because I have far too many speakers already.

I hope whoever bought those 102s enjoys the Karma. Avid doesn't have the rep some of the other vintage speakers have, but to my ears they sound pretty good.

Last year I got some 102's in great shape for $20. As you said...still with the warranty cards on the back. Certainly glad I picked them up.

Hey Spok, good to know they're getting some use. Had the same set last month but wasn't as generous as you were in resurrecting back to functionality.

I've had a chance to test my A-100s for over a week now, and I am very pleased. I have compared them with my Dynaco A-25s, EPI M-100s, HH Scott S-15s and my more modern Klipsch KSB 3.1s. The sound is unique, like the others, but I believe that the highs on the Avids are cripser than the A-25s and 100Ms. Only drawback is the walnut grained vinyl (in excellent shape, but I wish it was veneered). Overall I'd say a pretty decent bookshelf, that sound pretty darned good.

do you want to sell them
Thanks to lico for inspiring it.

The old CTS OEM drivers were quite musical -- surprisingly so, IMO.

I'll drag out and photograph my 102's when I get a chance and enough gumption to locate them under the rubble (they're doing duty as shelving for other gear, I think).

Dang, why does everyone else have 100s with psychedelic grill cloths?! Mine are brown. Pretty good speakers, awesome bass for a 8 inch .

Hey EAZY-E, the grass is always greener...my AVID 330's came with no grills let alone any cloth! I have yet to get around to making frames for them!

Attachments

• avid 1.jpg
    avid 1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 96
  • avid2.jpg
    avid2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 158
  • avid 3.jpg
    avid 3.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom