Avid Update...

Punker X

Staff member
Subscriber
I took the dead tweet back and they had the new pulled and waiting. I got back installed the new tweeter. Just spent the past couple hours listening to them at a moderate volume level. I wasn't too impressed at first.

One thing is cool with the side mounted tweeters is as you walk around the room you can hear destinct imaging. You really don't need to be in the sweet spot.

First LP I played was the Who "Face Dances" the LP wasn't in all the great shape so it was hard to judge. The next LP in the line up was Styx "Grand Illusion". Listen to side one and turned up a bit. Sounded a little better. Flipped it over and when it got to "Miss America" the volume went way up and stayed there. These speakers started to really sing. The bass has very surprising detail and authority and imaging on the highs is fantastic. But not exactly clear, but pretty good none the less.

These will definately due for a while. I'll have to listen to them a lot more to decide if they stay or go.

Kind of a bummer, I have them sitting nude right now. With two cats I just thought these speakers looked to much like scratching posts. I didn't want to risk snags in the mint covers. The wife will kill me if she finds another dead cat.

X

Got a neighbor with a doberman? Cats will definatly screw up your gear just cause they don't care. Not their fault but I have a lot of beautiful things I would love to see daily that I have to keep in cabinets because of cats.
If you don't have a neighbor with a doberman you can get a pretty good swing going with a shovel and then you are all set to dig a hole.
Can you play golf?

OK, I will retract my felinacide comment if it is found offensive, this is after all about X's Avids not pack preditors that look cuddly. Just Yay, or Neigh and I will do the right thing for the group.
ProAc Mike...None of your SPCA shenanagins if you please sir.
By the way I love the little furry demons and miss my huge Manx named Bear a lot.
When you have too many cats the best are easily placed in good homes and you are stuck with the strange and the ugly.
The Mainecoon that has moved in will only drink from a running faucet! His name is Goofy because that is one of the more understandable of his quirks. I am very temted to find a large female Manx so as to try and get another Bear out of Goofy. Weird but big.
To get this back on the speakers I love to put a light jazz(not smooth!!) and set it on disc repeat and sleep to it when Julia goes to work. Ron Carter's "Friends" and the Fisher tube 400 with the Altec Coronas tend to call the cats if they come inside(double cat doors through the garage) and I have woken up to I think 8 one time snoozing away to the tunes.
Other systems and different music do not attract the addorable little flea infested fur factories as much as the Altecs. I think it is the exellent midrange, and of course the jazz, classical mix on the CD.
By the way, although I live only 7 miles from downtown in a 80 year old neighborhood our little house is on a lot that has aways been wild. I cleared out at least 40 small trees when we moved in 6 years ago and have a litteral jungle of trees from 15' to 70' tall, bamboo, ferns, figural trees and flowerind shrubs and there are about 25 cats including ours hanging out all the time.
They have killed my bonsais, a couple of very expensive Japanese maples, pissed and barfed on my speakers and gear, put their feet through the cones of raw drivers stored on the top shelf in my garage, knocked things of shelves and have litterally cost me more than all my mistakes and screwups and get treated better than I do.
One catches the giant flying cockroaches and brings them in to let loose and hunt. I couldn't figure out where all these bugs were getting in at. Well they were, and are being brought in by a sweet lovable and possibly the ugliest cat alive.
She is spayed and wants a loving new home where she won't have to share her insect and rodent victims with the other cats. I will pay the shipping charges.
Oh yea, back to X's speakers. X get a nice length of a good harwood tree with lots of bends in it and set it up leaning into a corner and the cats will love it for claw stropping, climbing and playing. Atach a few toys on springs etc and they should leave your speaks alone.
Real length of tree works the best of anything no matter the price. Bark on is great but a nice piece of driftwood will do the job nicely too.
Cats, you can't live with them but your wife won't let you kill them (most of the time)
Sorry about the ramble.

Jeez looks like I hit a sore spot with Thatch.

I've been pretty lucky, I have two calicos and both are pretty good. Up until I got my Phase Tech PC-600HO's all my speakers were on stands and never had a problem. The floor standing ones were just two tempting for them. They lasted a couple months and thought all was good. Then one day I notice the tell tale snags.

Luckily all my stuff is in one room and I can close it off. I have a spray bottle of water that I shot them with when ever they come in the room and their leaning that it's off limits.

Just set everone's mind at rest. I've never killed a cat, but the thought has crossed my mind a few times.

X

Well I am taking our cat of 8 yrs to the humane society today :( For some strange reason he has started pissing on our bed and on the couch and loveseat, this is not spraying he is fixed, but for some reason after 8 yrs he has decided not to use his catbox anymore :mad: I will not have it! I work in a redemption center and smell sour beer and spoiled fruit juice and all sorts of rotten stuff I refuse to come home to a house that reeks of cat piss and that is what has happened so he has got to go! My GF was even in agreement, she was not too enthused with the cat using our bed as the litter box :rant:

Back
Top Bottom