AVX-700 What is it exactly?

Bubo

As a condition of buying a CT-1010 tuner, the owner insisted that I take his AVX-700 with me. Free why not?

I was going to sell it for almost nothing or give it away, but is appears to be mint first owner, and it sounds pretty darn good. It appears to be Yamaha's first effort into surround sound amps and has some interesting features for 2 channel listening.

What Class amp is this thing? Sounds like Class A at low volumes and is fairly detailed and precise. Another unit I ran across, the owner was selling his system including the MX-630 and his TX-1000, I purchased the 630 and TX both no brainers. This also makes me think the original AVX units are Class A at low output?

Nothing pops when I Google it.

Yamaha started much earlier than the AVX-700 (1990), the first AV-receiver was the AVC-30 (1987) a 4ch receiver 2 front and 2 rear speakers. The AVC became the AVX and then later the DSP series. But before that there was the SR-30 (1985) witch was the first audio processor for "surround sound", a unit that added 2 rear channels to the sound setup (2x30W) kind of a reverb thing. Something like the DSP-1, just smaller and including an 2 ch amp (the DSP-1 came 1986). It was not until 1988 when Yamaha came with the DSR-100Pro that real surround sound (Dolby Pro Logic) was possible (the AVC-30 and AVX-100 did only have Dolby surround).

So from Yamaha prospective the AVX-700 is a 3. generation surround unit, but in general perspective it's a 1. generation of standard surround sound receiver - Dolby Pro Logic.

The SR-30 was probably a simple matrix type decoder, they specifically stated it involved no delay circuitry so it is not a reverb. The DSP-1 was something completely different of course, involving digital signal processing aiming at recreating actual soundfields with were added to the original signal. It was a blast to play with but had a rather metallic sound that has been tamed over the years with more processing horsepower.

Thanks for the feedback.

One of my favorite hang outs is the bakery (Vietnamese?) in Outremont, love the ovens in the middle of the place. Spent hours here on some very cold days.

But on the other hand, the best bakeries in the world IMHO are in Copenhagen, although there was the cute brunet working in the bakery near the Cafe Opera in Stockholm....hmmm I need to get back to travelling.

Thanks!

Well they do say concert hall atmosphere, you don't get that just by adding a matrix signal- But they also say stereo simulator and that means playing around with the phase.

Bubo: I shall go around to all the bakeries and demand cute brunets, we can't have the swedish topping us in this matter, even the scandinavian countries are well known for blonds :)

Back
Top Bottom