Aw geez my speaker wire has turned green inside the jacket.

OK.. yeah.. I guess now that I stop and really think about this... Copper is non reactive to HCL.... your right there.. BUT.. wire is cheap... I still don't get even asking.. I'd change my wire no second thoughts..

OK.. yeah.. I guess now that I stop and really think about this... Copper is non reactive to HCL.... your right there.. BUT.. wire is cheap... I still don't get even asking.. I'd change my wire no second thoughts..

We cool. I agree with you, wire is cheap (lamp cable wire, that is). But speaker wire and always will be one of those things that makes people touchy. It's almost like talking about religion. So my advice is always to go with whatever one thinks is best; if asked my opinion, I'll give it. I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it. Could be my ears are just shot and that's why I can't hear the difference others say they can.

For some unknown (to me at least) reason, speaker wire threads get heated fast.

I have other wire that is much older that hasn't reacted in the same manner. In fact I've seen wire get a bit greenish before, but this stuff looks terrible. As I mentioned before it seems to be worse in the jacket.

No doubt it would bother me to leave, it so it will be replaced shortly. I certainly disagree about it being cheap however. I mean sure, it's cheaper than an amp, but it's sure more than a fuse.

I would be curious to know how many upper-end audio/video wire suppliers have their own foundries where they can control the content of their wire, or how many actually have metallurgists on hand to sample the material from time to time. Different alloys will have a tendency to tarnish and/or corrode at different speeds. It would seem that adequate quality control would alleviate that problem.

Last edited:
I would be curious to know how many upper-end audio/video wire suppliers have their own foundries where they can control the content of their wire, or how many actually have metallurgists on hand to sample the material from time to time. Different alloys will have a tendency to tarnish and or corrode at different speeds. It would seem that adequate quality control would alleviate that problem.

shhh... you're looking at the Emporer's new clothes!

If it is simply a patina on copper, why do Copper Voice coils on Magnaplaner speakers fail due to Copper corrosion. The whole idea of the coating they put on the voicecoils is to keep the air from corroding them. When you open up a vintage Magnaplaner the one thing you do not want to see are green voicecoils, and I have seen them corroded to the point that they will no longer work,due to the voice coil has crumbled. FWIW
Regards,
Jim
In regards to the op - Replace the wires.

If it is simply a patina on copper, why do Copper Voice coils on Magnaplaner speakers fail due to Copper corrosion. The whole idea of the coating they put on the voicecoils is to keep the air from corroding them. When you open up a vintage Magnaplaner the one thing you do not want to see are green voicecoils, and I have seen them corroded to the point that they will no longer work,due to the voice coil has crumbled. FWIW
Regards,
Jim
In regards to the op - Replace the wires.

I don't think the question is as to whether or not a cable can corrode to the point of failure. I think it's more along the lines of (in exaggeration) if the wire is 1/4" diameter, and the outer .005 is tarnished, does it make a significant difference? Should it be replaced?

Would you care to grace us with a picture of this "green" wire so we can all see what's going on? I would like to see what has happened. You may be able to take it back to where you bought it from and see what options they have for that. It would be worth it to check on it. I know I would :yes:
Ok, so 6-8 years ago I bought a spool of 12 gauge wire at a box store not to mention any name, but the orange one. What can I say, it was on clearance? It's a shame, as I have the whole theatre room wired up with this (now green) crap. Interestingly enough, it seems worst inside the jacket, little or no issue on the bits at the contact points.

I don't actually have enough wire laying around to replace it all, so I'll be picking up some new stuff soon. Anyone here been through this? And now the dividing question... Will it matter? If the corrosion is on the wire, but not fouling the contact ends, is it likely to degrade the sound? I think I have enough wire to replace the front end, I'll try that tonight to see if it makes a difference.

Unfortunately even the remaining wire on the spool has "gone green" (not in a good way). So I don't have a "control" wire to measure for comparison.

By the way my intention is to replace it with either 16 gauge or a lighter insulated 12-14. This now green crap, was the most heavily insulated, extremely hard to work with stuff I've ever dealt with. It's so heavy and stiff, I've worried about damaging gear with it.

I doubt I still have the receipt for 6-8 yr old clearance wire. I'll let the retailer off the hook, the next wire will likely be landscape wire or zip cord. No particular brand, however thi experience tells me that the insulation composition matters. It seems likely to me that the low voltage landscape wire should be very resilient.

Thanks for the interest, I'll post some pics asap. I'm still not home from work.

I doubt I still have the receipt for 6-8 yr old clearance wire. I'll let the retailer off the hook, the next wire will likely be landscape wire or zip cord. No particular brand, however thi experience tells me that the insulation composition matters. It seems likely to me that the low voltage landscape wire should be very resilient.

Thanks for the interest, I'll post some pics asap. I'm still not home from work.

You can get Belden wire, 12ga, for about $0.50/ft. Belden seems to know how to make wire and cable.

An observation that may or may not be relevant... As a former auto mechanic, I can state that the condition of the copper along the length of a battery cable can have a significant influence on automotive electrical system performance -- starting, charging, and behavior of various circuits. Simply cutting off the ends of a cable and installing new connectors works sometimes, other times the corrosion along the run makes cable replacement necessary and the electrical performance improves markedly as a result.

Now these are cables that are called upon to carry upwards of 200 amps at times, or around 90 amps for an alternator cable. The cables are relatively small for the amperage compared to typical speaker cables, so the sensitivity may be greater.

I'm not a "cables" guy, but I'd be inclined to change out corroded (or "patina covered") cables. And let's not mince words... the patina is due to corrosion. It may not be very deep, it may not be significant, but it is corrosion.

I'd change them too. We could argue the benefit of cheap wire vs expensive wire for years and not come to a full agreement, but corroded wire will surely have substandard measurables. (resistance/inductance/capacitance) Even if the affect on your sound is subtle enough not for you not to hear it or maybe just subtle enough not to matter, it will only get worse with time. Remember, electrons travel along the SURFACE of the strands!

I had some wire that I bought at Lowes do that years ago, and it only took about 2 years to be fully statue-of-liberty green. My current surrounds are wired up with Monoprice speaker wire, which so far has remained shiny and orange (~2.5yrs) but I've heard reports of that turning green too. When I redo the living room and move all the wiring in-wall, I'm definitely going to spring for something a little better, and not in a clear jacket. At least it's just my surrounds now. I have nice cables for the front stage.

The wire...

I haven't purchased replacement wire yet so I took some off the roll. it looks similar enough... i have about 50'-70' left on the roll, and about 150'+ in the theatre room.

I didnt expect any controversy about green wire... Nor was this intended as a boo-hoo crying over spilled milk thing. I've been an audio junkie as long as I can remember, and have never seen wire do this in a home. Cars? Sure, but in an air conditioned, climate controlled environment. this is a first on me.

note: the shiny stuff is the tinned stripe that runs the full length like a candy cane.

Attachments

• DSCF0368.jpg
    DSCF0368.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0370.jpg
    DSCF0370.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0374.jpg
    DSCF0374.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 62
Hmmm, now clip off some of the insulation and lets have a peek at the wire itself :scratch2:

It should be noted, however, that I have some monster cable as well that is lined with some greenish coating in between the wire and insulation. seems almost like a cellophane to protect the wire from moisture damage should the insulation crack or break. It is noticeably more green now than it was when I first bought it close to 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Exposed wire

As requested... If I may say so, this is the toughest wire insulation i've EVER worked with. Very thick, very stiff, I will not miss it... I consider myself a wire stripping black-belt, but this stuff still works me over. Even trying to seperate the two strands is tough.

Back
Top Bottom