Away For the Winter

Nightcleaner

My Neighbour kindly told me to come over. He said Take what you want out of my refrigerator Bread milk Cheese in there a plenty. We going away on a Caribbean Cruise. We leave Southampton at 3pm (6th Jan ) we sale of for the Caribbean P&O Oriana .

When they return in 38 days they stay aboard and the Ship sails of to Finland to the Fjords. they of to see the Northern lights and a one night stay in the Ice Hotel

John was saying to me Have you ever been on a Cruise ship I said No. The railing around the side is top of the chest high You can not just Fall overboard. But he said he was reading a story about a ships magician who mysteriously went overboard (This is not a trick BTW ) Never seen again.

John (my Neighbour) says how do they do it and why?

This is their Third big cruise. They been on two world cruises both ways round. So they got there extra day coming back through the Panama canal instead of going forward through the panama canal

Their foodies. Love testing all the foods in different countries. They stay away from the tourist on the actual ship on shore excursions. Instead they hire a taxi for the whole day. Buy the taxi driver his or her meals or drink in the pub. Taxi Driver makes a superb guide.

They had a good one in Gambia. Eye opening. The taxi driver Said Would you like a camel ride in the Desert. So that's where he took them. Had a great time great host. When they returned told there compatriots what they been doing they were quite taken back and envious

They done the Sydney bridge walk over. Also the Glass Submarine in Hawaii was something never to forget

...My Neighbour kindly told me to come over. He said Take what you want out of my refrigerator Bread milk Cheese in there a plenty. We going away on a Caribbean Cruise...

Immediately made me think of this JB tune.

Me and Snake are coming over to help you out, too! :biggrin:

Couldn't do it. All I'd be thinking the whole time I was on the boat is all the gas it uses.

On average, a large cruise ship can use up to 250 tons of fuel per day, which is around 80,000 gallons. Cruise1st.co.uk claims a normal cruise ship can use around 140 to 150 tons of fuel each day, consuming 30 to 50 gallons per mile travelled.

i couldnt do it thinking about it. I be always worried I left the door unlocked. To be honest The world may be a lovely place to see. But i hate to leave my house for that amount of time.

Yesterday, I was just telling visiting friends about the submarine ride on Maui. He wants to go, but she doesn't. I told her there was alway parasailing.

The idea of a cruise doesn't appeal to me. I found this site. Planes, trains, buses, cars and ferries. I may need a house sitter for a month.
https://www.rome2rio.com

Onepixel: You live in a beautiful place Hawaii. Where on earth do you go on Vacation May i ask.

For what its worth I asked my neighbour what was the most beautiful place they went to

Without any hesitation Reunion Island of South Africa. Anyone else second That

I'm glad folks have fun on cruises.

Let's see, 30 gallon per mile, times, say, 3000 people. Now if a single person is in a car that gets 30 mpg, that's 30 person-miles per gallon. The ship would make 100 person-miles per gallon, which is more efficient than a car. Not that I'm in favor of big polluting cruise ships (there are no fuel economy or emission standards!), just saying, it's not all that different from a driving vacation when you take into account the number of people being transported.

Me, I'd rather go somewhere and see it for more than a day. I did do a day cruise in a small boat (say 30 people) in Alaska and got to see bears and calving glaciers and had a nice lunch. That was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Onepixel: You live in a beautiful place Hawaii. Where on earth do you go on Vacation May i ask.

For what its worth I asked my neighbour what was the most beautiful place they went to

Without any hesitation Reunion Island of South Africa. Anyone else second That

I had a lot of fun visiting my daughter in NYC over Thanksgiving. Planning on going again in the spring when it's warmer. I'm considering Southern Europe and into Northern Africa and working my way to Istanbul.

My top place is the Island of Socotra. Unfortunately civil war in Yemen makes it too sketchy.

I had a lot of fun visiting my daughter in NYC over Thanksgiving. Planning on going again in the spring when it's warmer. I'm considering Southern Europe and into Northern Africa and working my way to Istanbul.

My top place is the Island of Socotra. Unfortunately civil war in Yemen makes it too sketchy.

Hi

What happened on the volcano front? That all went very quite in the news. Bit overshadowed By fire elsewhere . What happens to all the people displaced how do they get there lives back

Hi

What happened on the volcano front? That all went very quite in the news. Bit overshadowed By fire elsewhere . What happens to all the people displaced how do they get there lives back

Kīlauea on the Big Island has quieted down since late August of last year. As for all the people who lost homes and businesses, there is much to go back to. I'm not sure what kind of assistance they are getting, but they pretty much have to start over.

Neighbor and wife are back . Big disappointment to start with John had great memories in the merchant Navy on cruise ships as far back as 1967 of "Cuzco" Said it was a beautiful memory a lovely place. he was itching to revisit it just once more. But the Weather stopped the ship from docking.

High spots . To many to mention but the zip wire in st martins was fantastic John said.

Second part of his cruise to Fjords + The Ice palace . Anyone been. He did not realize they Rebuild it every year because it melts. Its Huge. All the rooms have unique names. Did he sleep there. No To Darn Cold. Its warmer outside than in. What the crack is. They light a huge bonfire outside in a pit. Some guest's venture out in the early morning and sit around it. (Anyone done this? )

Driving the Husky's Was brilliant

Is he going again Next year No ! He wife of to Australia for five weeks. He does not fly so Johns not going with her.

These guys are on Pensions my goodness they must be good pensions

we sale of for the Caribbean P&O Oriana
I remember the Oriana in the late 60's sailing past the Victoria waterfront on her way to distant destinations. At the time, there were no cruise ships as we know them today but the Oriana was a globetrotter making her quite unique for the time.

In 1970 my older sister sailed on her from Vancouver bound for New Zealand and Australia with a stopover in Hawaii. She flew back home three years later and I remember her saying how she didn't really like it on board the ship. Cramped and spartan quarters, But then again, being about twenty years old, I don't think she would have travelled first class.

A huge cruise ship not interested at all but some of the river cruises with no kids, no gambling and all inclusive have piqued my interest.

Back
Top Bottom