Awesome local tech for little money

classic carl

Without Music, Life Would B FLAT.
Subscriber
I recently had an issue with my Dual 1229 turntable. It would "pop" through the speakers at the end of the cycle when it turned off. There was a bad cap in the power supply. I had the table restored in 2011 by Bill at fixmydual. Replacing the cap was not part of the restoration. I called Bill anyway and asked him about the "pop" and he sent me a new cap free of charge. He also told me to call him when I was ready to change the cap out and he would talk me through it. Shortly after that, Bill had surgery and was MIA for a while. He's back at work, but I decided not to bother him.

Turns out I also had an issue with an aftermarket cable for my Sennheiser HD-600 headphones. The left side kept cutting out. I tried to repair this by myself but could not. I took the cable to a local audio dealer who also does a lot of car and home theater installs. Two different techs tried, but could not get a solder connection to hold. I took it to them instead of my regular tech because they are 5 minutes away from me. They didn't charge me, but said it would be $30 if they succeeded.

I then decided to take both the TT and cable to my regular tech who is on the other side of town, about 35 minutes away. He replaced the cap and was able to solder the wire to the connector on the cable. He also cleaned the contacts on the TT muting switch and the contact area where the tonearm connects to the cartridge sled. The turnaround time was 6 days and he charged me $35 to repair both items. I've used his services several times before and his prices have always been more than reasonable. His work is excellent, and I've never waited more than 2 weeks for anything I've taken to him. He gets 5 out of 5 stars from me. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Good review!
Mind if I ask what area you are and if your tech minds his name posted?
Also , it's always nice to hear a success story.
Hearing all the failures tends to be the norm

Good review!
Mind if I ask what area you are and if your tech minds his name posted?
Also , it's always nice to hear a success story.
Hearing all the failures tends to be the norm

As my location states, North Coast of PA. Erie lies between NY and Ohio on Lake Erie in the northwest corner of PA. His name is John and the business is called Hi Fi Hospital. He also sells vintage gear in his shop and always has a bunch of nice components sitting on the shelves. I've bought from him on more than one occasion.

Cool story.
Lots of hacks out there.
Good techs who know what they are doing, do it in timely fashion, do it right, and don't gouge the customer are worth their weight in gold.

Good, reasonable tech are hard to find these days. When you find one, it's a godsend and I stick with them!

Back
Top Bottom