AX-500 Thread

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Bratwurst7s, Dec 28, 2016.

  1. Bratwurst7s

    Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

    Messages:
    3,116
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
  2. Bratwurst7s

    Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

    Messages:
    3,116
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    And the last of them...

    DSC03488.jpg DSC03489.jpg DSC03490.jpg DSC03491.jpg DSC03496.jpg

    Cheers,
    James
     
    zaibatsu likes this.
  3. Bratwurst7s

    Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

    Messages:
    3,116
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    I recently bought another of these amps to power a pair of Braun L 630 speakers in a system that I'm putting together for one of my daughters.
    The speaker thread can be found here...
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/braun-l-630-speaker-thread.783346/

    This unit has white knob markings and some interesting differences on the phono board. The 2 chokes and 2 ceramic capacitors that were soldered and glued to the bottom of the phono board in the 1st amp are now integrated onto the component side of the board. Also the wire that was soldered and glued to the bottom of the board is now mounted properly to the top side with a through hole.

    This saved me an hour or so because of not having to clean the old glue off and check for damage.

    DSC04497.jpg DSC04499.jpg DSC04501.jpg

    Cheeers,
    James
     
  4. Bratwurst7s

    Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

    Messages:
    3,116
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    The only other point to present is that I mounted the main filter caps differently this time. Using the pvc disks as stand-offs worked nicely but it took more than an hour to make them. So this time I used some 35mm x 5mm rubber o-rings glued to the bottom of the caps with rubber cement. Quick, clean and easy.

    This amp had much less glue and I only had to replace 8 jumpers. No other components were corroded and even then the jumpers weren't corroded. It was just easier to remove them to get at the glue and once they were out I went ahead and used fresh wire to replace them.

    DSC04502.jpg DSC04503.jpg DSC04504.jpg DSC04506.jpg

    Cheers,
    James
     
  5. Bratwurst7s

    Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

    Messages:
    3,116
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    Here are the filter caps mounted in place.

    DSC04514.jpg DSC04515.jpg DSC04516.jpg

    Cheers.
    James
     
    zaibatsu likes this.
  6. zaibatsu

    zaibatsu Active Member

    Messages:
    393
    Looks great as always!
    Did you notice any improvements after the rebuild and upgraded filter caps?
     
  7. Bratwurst7s

    Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

    Messages:
    3,116
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    Well, the thing is that I didn't use either of the amps for any length of time before recapping and repairing corroded parts. I checked the DC offset and hooked them up just long enough to confirm that they worked. With the 1st one I was scared to use it at all after seeing all of the corrosion in it and since the 2nd one is for my daughter and I want it to be serviceable for her for a long time there was never any question about immediately recapping it.

    So I really have no good idea how they sounded before working on them. However, I can confirm that they can deliver some sweet sounds now. :music:

    Cheers,
    James
     
  8. amr2

    amr2 Active Member

    Messages:
    406
    Good job!! :beerchug:
     
    Bratwurst7s likes this.

Share This Page