OH NO, I hope you find a replacement for that IC. these trhings are so rare.

it better not. The 8650 might be a top-dog for Sony, but it is half the amp B-1 is...in therms of power, thus less heat that needs to disipate.
:( I know. Been looking for over a year now :no:
Really like this integrated.

Hello Alex

Did you get trouble on one channel or the both ?
I saw that in your 8650 that there is 2 BX-269A . If you have trouble on one channel try to use the right IC on left channel to see ....If the trouble stay there

YAMAHA PLZ BRING THIS KIND OF INOVATION BACK!
This is what I call a true engeneering company. Unfortunately, in the end the economics of a business will trump the engeneering of the products they sale.
Yes indeed and with that said we should feel very fortunate to have a few pieces of that fine engineering innovation to appreciate and enjoy. :thumbsup:

YAMAHA PLZ BRING THIS KIND OF INOVATION BACK!
This is what I call a true engeneering company. Unfortunately, in the end the economics of a business will trump the engeneering of the products they sale.

I've noticed on other threads that in some cased you guys have used the Tokin SIT/vfets as a replacement for the originals. Is this a viable option for the B-1, B-2 & B-3? Are the Tokins themselves hard to find?

I've noticed on other threads that in some cased you guys have used the Tokin SIT/vfets as a replacement for the originals. Is this a viable option for the B-1, B-2 & B-3? Are the Tokins themselves hard to find?
certain rank 2SK-180 Tokin V-fets can be used for B-1. No Tokin solution for B-2, B-3.

Just thought I would comment that a proper B-1 will run very hot. Class A hot (or hotter, depending on your particular reference). It will test the 5-second rule on your palm. Those are very beefy heatsinks for one transistor each. Don't worry.

I miss mine all the time. If the money allowed, I would buy mine back.

Yes indeed! Here's mine sitting quiescent at 114.8° F. :yikes: :)

View attachment 1109949

Just thought I would comment that a proper B-1 will run very hot.

and that is precisely why no one should place them inside a cabinet of have something stacked on top of a B-1 while the power is turned on.
This is also why 105 deg C rated caps are a must in thins thing. Is fine to use Audio grade caps on the driver boards and the filter board, since those are away from any major sources of heat, and those are usually rated at no more than 85deg C.

I posted some B-1 trivia with heat readings at different points. where your thermometer is sitting is right above PSU buard number 2 and the three 2-Watt resistors, one of the hottest places in this amp.
was gonna add....the three 2-watt resistors BBQing that cap right above, if it is not moved to the back side:D

Last edited:
Agreed,

I have followed a few very valuable suggestions on this forum when started to restore this type of gear.

Hi VJ,
I meant to bring this up to your attention:
I have seen the insides of more B-2s than most people. Your B-2 PSU board pictured here is one of the nicest, free of heat burns B-2 PSU boards I have seen so far.
If you want to keep it that way, you need to take it out and replace the red power resistors, or find a way to raise them above the board.

Hi VJ,
I meant to bring this up to your attention:
I have seen the insides of more B-2s than most people. Your B-2 PSU board pictured here is one of the nicest, free of heat burns B-2 PSU boards I have seen so far.
If you want to keep it that way, you need to take it out and replace the red power resistors, or find a way to raise them above the board.

Thank you for your advise. At the moment do not have a B-2 in my possession, that one went to a good friend, had to let go of half of my rig when moved, but in a future day will surely get my hands on another B-2 for myself. Next project is the Sony 8650.

Wow,

Yes, went through a few B-2's with a complete restoration. Maybe not as deep as resistors, but everything else done.
I have the NS-2000 which are a very good match for the B-1, on moderate volumes the B-2 is a ok, when you do put a little more demand on the power supply that is when things start to get a little out of hands..

This is from my listening sessions. My preamps are Luxman, solid state and tube.
I think there is a very nice synergy of the tube pre combo with the V-fet Yamaha's
looking at this old thread....

newly rebuilt B-2, with fully rebuilt PSU has no issues driving my NS-2000s ...at any volume levels ;)

Back
Top Bottom