B-209 the temptations struck again....

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by craggd, Mar 18, 2017.

1. craggd

craggd AK Subscriber Subscriber

image7.jpg

Been looking at these on Yahoo Japan, where they pop up on a pretty rare occasion. The cost of the units, the cost and fear of shipping that distance has kept me safe. Well one popped up on the bay at what I thought was a reasonable cost so I jumped on it!

Just received it today. After the seller had packaged it well in its original box, I had him have it double boxed at FedEx. He did a great job, theirs sucked but it came through fine.

The amp is just beautiful and sounds very divine. It is extremely well made and build like a tank. A 1997 limited series of 200, all sold by deposit in advance. Not a lot about it on the net but an interesting collaboration between George Kaye chief engineer of Moscode and Sansui. Designed by Sansui and built in the US exclusively for the Japanese market. 6L6GC PP tube power amplifier. 30W + 30W into 4 to 8 ohms. Tubes include 5U4G, 6SL7, 6SN7, and 6L6GC. Just getting it warmed up and enjoying it. It is as pretty as it is musical.

s-l16002.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow...not familiar with that part of the Sansui family...but very...very nice!

3. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

Divine!

4. Deubi

Deubi AK Subscriber Subscriber

...very Interesting part of Sansuis History , never seen one before....

...More Pic's , Please...!:thumbsup:

5. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, more pictures please. what a stunning piece.

6. moefuzz

moefuzz Active Member

The chassis is very pretty and the Faceplate makes me think of the era that my National Horizon 20 was manufactured,
    mid 50's.

...that's a Nice looking unit.

7. craggd

Some additional pics as requested. The first one shows the size of the footprint compared to the BA-5K under it. It is big, Interested in collecting more history on the amp, it was a very unique approach for Sansui (collaboration & built in the US). Also thinking about what the appropriate pre-amp would be, guessing the C-2302 vintage. In the owners manual (that came with the amp :)) the drawing of the preamp looks like the C-2105 and C-2302. There really isn't an era appropriate tube pre-amp that was made by Sansui. The closest I can think of if the CA-303 and I have been hunting for one of those for a while. Any suggestions on a pre-amp would be appreciated. I prefer vintage but would certainly entertain others if there would be an advantage. Listening to it as I type,very soft and musical.

image5.jpg IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0221.JPG IMG_0208.JPG

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Deubi, bluesky and Hyperion like this.
  8. craggd

Forgot to post this but here is a link to a YouTube video of the amp the seller made:

9. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

Nice Sansui tube amp!

Really nice!! :)

10. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Wow good job David. Enjoy.
    We had one at the Greek Rep , back in 1998 . It was never sold. It stayed as a display item. Till some days ago that the rep's son decided to sell it to a guy I know for 2500e. I don't know if the transaction took place , but i'll find out.
    Again congrats.

11. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Just spoke with the man on the Phone. He bought the amp , 1800e cash. A month ago. And he's as happy as a clam. He loves B209.
    Generally he's a collector, of various audio units. He had a AU-D11ii but sold it to a friend of his , and he's trying to get it back. Mistakes cost.
    He has a AU-7900 that he'll never sell or exchange. Although he's a master in exchange . Tramp out as we say here.
    Anyway he likes so much B209 that he even bought a new Zingali something pair of speakers to pair sansui.
    Nice amp.

12. craggd

Your friend got a good deal, the retail price in '97 was $7k. It is a very nice amp, going to be a keeper for me. Those Zingali's look pretty special too!

13. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Does it have a serial number? Can you post it for the database?

- Pete

14. craggd

Pete, I did post it on Sunday; Serial #: 608119851

Thanks for all you work on the database!

15. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Sorry, I did already have it. I just didn't connect that post to this one. Thanks for posting.

- Pete