B&O and Sony Freebies-More to Come?

hakka26

Went to look at some stereo gear today. Turned out to be a college age kid. Runs his stuff through a computer. Had older Pioneer amp and tuner and Yamaha CA600. Nothing I needed. As I was leaving he asked if I wanted a couple TT's sitting on a table: Beogram 2404 and Sony PS-X6. Never turn down a freebie. :yes: Sony is missing feet, Micro Acoustics cartridge has no stylus, cracked cover. B&O is complete and has stylus. Both power up and cycle correctly. Sony speed is dead on. Need to hook them up and see if they play. Kicker is he has to make room in his dad's garage and says he has some more TT's to get rid of (rather than e$ay 'em) and he'll give me a call! :thmbsp: Apparently he doesn't want to hassle replacing cartridges :banana:.

If the stylus is good, then the B&O is good...if not, well...B&O stylus are expensive because they were proprietary. I recently had a B&O given to me and if the stylus is good then I'll clean it up and give it away to a family member or friend as it's a decent TT but I won't invest any big bucks in a proprietary stylus.

That's a very nice Sony. You'll have to find a donor for the correct feet. And the large plastic shaft that threads into the base for each one is easily broken. But, a large finish nail and some glue will fix, as the shaft is hollow. The only difference between it and the PS-X7 is the graphite fiber TA shaft on the -X7. You can download both the OM and SM from the Vinyl Engine, IIRC. Terrific TT.

Here are a couple pics. The B&O has the MMC5 stylus and it seems to track okay. I think he may have thought it had none. If it goes out so does the TT. I'm going to ask if he has the feet for the Sony as the dustcover was elsewhere. Didn't realise they were missing. :thumbsdn: And, I'll be going back to see what else he is going to dump. B2—cueing on the Sony seems a little heavy so appreciate the link.
http://206.225.95.32/forums/attachm...forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9333&stc=1

Attachments

• bo.gif
    bo.gif
    119.5 KB · Views: 52
  • sp.gif
    sp.gif
    111.3 KB · Views: 33
Nice B&O deck! :thmbsp:

The 2404 is a rarer beast than its siblings the 2400 and 2402 - both of which had the older style arm which took the MMC20XX series of cartridges, and i've never seen a picture of a 2404 before!

If it's working and the cartridge is good, it could fetch a few pennies on everyone's favourite auction site..................

Too much stuff: Have Yamaha CR 820 and 1020 already, Marantz 1060 int amp, and Pioneer SX1250 plus several others. Unless I really, really want something... :thumbsdn:. Besides, it's there if I want it.

Back
Top Bottom