B&O Beogram 4002 & 4004 Motor Substitution

BinaryMike

Pelagic EE
Replacement turntable drive motors for these models have become nearly impossible to procure, so I decided to attempt replacement with a motor from the Beogram 2400 series. This item carries part number MHN-3P2RDS. Physical fitment isn't a problem, but hookup and tacho (FG) output frequency differ markedly from the original MHN-5P2RDS. I solved the hookup difference with a simple adapter so as to avoid burning any bridges:

B&O Motor Mod 001.JPG

B&O Motor Mod 003.JPG

I wasn't able to reverse-engineer the servo control circuit to my satisfaction due to the lack of a datasheet for the IC, but a comparison of the 2400 and 4004 schematics allowed me to deduce that one or two capacitor value changes might be sufficient to accommodate the FG frequency difference. After a bit of calculating and experimentation, I ended up replacing 1C3 with 39nF (was 220nF) and 1C7 with 1.0nF (was 47nF). I'm not sure what 1C7 is doing in this circuit. I used the value found in the 2400 schematic and didn't alter it after determining a new value for 1C3. Both platter speed settings are now well within range of the on-board trimmers. There's no perceptible speed drift with a polyester cap at 1C3, and speed settles with authority after perturbation. I'm too lazy to hunt down my W&F test record, but piano recordings sound good.

nice job . do you have a pic of original motor so i can check my box of nos motors . they are mainly Panasonic so might be a wild goose chase anyway . i would like to find homes for the motors i have as seems a waste them sitting there .

The original motor looks almost identical to the photo above, except for a white plastic pulley and three-wire hookup with colors same as my adapter. Part number markings are as given in my first paragraph.

Hi,
I'm following in your footsteps, replacing my Beogram 4004 motor with a 2400 series, with the same model number, as it's impossible to find a replacement 4004 motor.

Just sanity checking really;
The capacitor replacements you mention - 1C3 and 1C7, these are C3 and C7, next to each other on the 1 board, yes?
I'm replacing with 39nF Wurth Polypropylene and 1nF Wima Ceramic respectively, and wiring the motor as you have shown.
Do you see any problem with this?

Thanks for your time,
Glen

Back
Top Bottom