[B]To Kabuki or not to Kabuki Coral BX 2000[/B]

doucanoe

Registered Audio Abuser
First off, I searched this site for these BX 2000's and I found unrelated pic of them and a lot of reference to Coral speaker's but no websites or the like.
Is there a resident expert here on Coral?

Im trying to date these and find some more info regarding them. They are a 3-way (i believe) 5-driver heavy beast that has what looks to be "turbines" on the mid's and tweeters.

Pretty funky looking with the grilles off. Im not sure about the mid's and tweeter's yet but the 12" woofer seems to be pretty well constructed cone wise. (viewed from the outside) I just picked them up and am still at the office so I havent had time to remove the back yet or post a pic.

I just paid 40.00 american :D for these because I just had to have them :)

I cannot find hardly anything doing a Google search except for info regarding their co-axial and tri-axiel drivers.
Any interesting info would be apperciated :yes:
Thanks
RC

I don't have anything to share on the speakers, but I love how you tried to 'bold' the thread title. ;)

Cheers,
Russ

I don't have anything to share on the speakers, but I love how you tried to 'bold' the thread title.

Yaa, yaa. yaa. That didnt quite work out as planned Russ :D

Cubpooch,

Don't tell anyone, but I have a pair of CS-99's in my garage I got in a package deal last week, with DIY 'caulk' surrounds on the mids.

Cheers,
Russ

Make a catapult and launch them at the bird in the tree that's been keeping you up at night. About all they're good for. Go for a near miss.

Make a catapult and launch them at the bird in the tree that's been keeping you up at night. About all they're good for. Go for a near miss.

Man TA, That was a little brutal. Am I to understand that you dont approve hehehe.

I think they make a fine addition to weird ass vintage audio collection :D

RC

Hey... I lust bought a pair of Coral BX-1000's at a garage sale for 15.00. I think they are pretty nice for Kabuki speakers. 10" woofer, 5" midrange and 1" horn tweeter. Compared em to a pair of Sansui's that a church was gonna sell me, but they were askin' 40.00. These are about the same size, abet with two midranges and tweeters, as opposed to one each in the Corals, but I've heard that Coral and Sansui either both got, or sold the same kind of speakers, speakers, not enclosures, and so are pretty similar. Also heard that the Corals were made before the San's. Either way, I think they're great. Good bass response, almost too much, but thats because I have a crap reciever. Strong mids and highs, and built to last. So my opinion, yeah they're good. Not much compared to some old Mc Intoshes, JBL's or the like, but what are you asking for 15-40.00?

I had some BX 1000's, I thought they were a nice, tight sounding speaker. Very efficient if I remember correctly. Gave them to a friend who thought they sounded real nice in his system and as far as I know, he still does.

Hey... I lust bought a pair of Coral BX-1000's at a garage sale for 15.00. I think they are pretty nice for Kabuki speakers. 10" woofer, 5" midrange and 1" horn tweeter. Compared em to a pair of Sansui's that a church was gonna sell me, but they were askin' 40.00. These are about the same size, abet with two midranges and tweeters, as opposed to one each in the Corals, but I've heard that Coral and Sansui either both got, or sold the same kind of speakers, speakers, not enclosures, and so are pretty similar. Also heard that the Corals were made before the San's. Either way, I think they're great. Good bass response, almost too much, but thats because I have a crap reciever. Strong mids and highs, and built to last. So my opinion, yeah they're good. Not much compared to some old Mc Intoshes, JBL's or the like, but what are you asking for 15-40.00?

Hey scarredtaka, I cant say a whole lot about the sound yet. I heard them hooked up to a questionable 80's receiver and a similar CD player. The cab's are a solid 8+/10 and the driver's are as well.

$40 was more than I wanted to spend but considering their condition not to terrible, Im sure TA would have a comment on that :lmao:

Now I have a nice pair of Sansui SP 1700's and the Coral BX 2000's for the collection.

I had some BX 1000's, I thought they were a nice, tight sounding speaker

Justen, I was wondering if you knew if the 1000 was up or down in the line from the 2000.

I looking forward to hooking up to something decent and giving them a listen.
Sound's promising
thanks for the input
RC

The 1000's were down the line. I liked them, not the best speaker I've ever heard but nice none the less. I was looking for a good place to put them in my house when my friend commented on how good they sounded. Since I'm a big believer in "share the magic" he got them.

Thats what its all about Justen,

I figured as much considering the driver arrangement. Most people seem to have or had some xxx series and not the xxxx series so I wasnt sure.
I hope they sound listenable but i have alot of very "listenable" speakers.

These were just too clean and funky to pass up regardless :D
RC

I've never heard a Coral whatever model #. I was talking about launching Russ' CS-99's. I HAVE heard those. Plenty of times. Build the catapult.

for what its worth, i have a pair of Coral BX1200's six drivers/5 way. they were my fathers, and i inherited them. fun speaker to have. clean, efficient as all hell. with a little power they'll still play loud and clean. as efficient as they are, i'd like to get a tube amp and see how they sound on it. someday i suppose, it's on the audio "to do" list.

hey doucanoe, post a pic of the BX 2000's, i'm curious what they look like compared to my 1200's.

hey doucanoe, post a pic of the BX 2000's, i'm curious what they look like compared to my 1200's

ohskigod, I will put up some pic's this weekend when I get a chance. I would love to see your's also.

hey doucanoe, post a pic of the BX 2000's, i'm curious what they look like compared to my 1200's.

Ok ohskigod, here ya go. I came home from work early today. It's been raining all day and colder than a bugger. I figured that It was a good time to take the Pic's for you for comparison.
What do you make of the turbine fin's on the mid's and tweeters? Maybe I should bolt them down before I hook them up :lmao:

I've never heard a Coral whatever model #. I was talking about launching Russ' CS-99's. I HAVE heard those. Plenty of times. Build the catapult.

Hey TA. I just re-read your above comment's. I did think you were referring to mine. I was thinking "man this a tough room" lol :D

RC

I'll probably be posting pics of my BX-1000's later today as well. Little beat up, midrange cone's pushed in on the one I took the grille off of, hoping to fix that later, and grille is beat up as well, but I think they are pretty nince for 15.00 and being 30x years old.

doucanoe-did your grilles just pop off, or were they held in by something? Mine were stapled and glued in the corners? Just wonderin?

doucanoe-did your grilles just pop off, or were they held in by something? Mine were stapled and glued in the corners? Just wonderin?

Hey scarredtaka, Post those pic's I would like to see the one's you have. :yes:
My grilles are attached with velcro tabs.
RC

Back
Top Bottom