B&W 801 matrix series 3 or 802 matrix series 3?

elmostro

the 801 are going for $2,800.00 and the 802's for $2,000.00. I have read a lot about both and they both have some pro's and con's. in which pair should i invest my money in case i decide to resale and get something else.
Thanks

Last edited:
If you have the space and powerful enough amps to drive the 801s, I'd go for the 801s. They are a classic. If you don't have one or both (space and/or amps), then I'd go for the 802s.

Last edited:
802's, to my ears = tighter bass. - I wouldn't discount them in the decision. 801's are Iconic and the model that B&W got more press on but I've found (based on my personal listening) that the 802's just had a bit more snap on the kick drums , which might not be noticeable if you're listening to most genre's but when someone's listening taste extends beyond Jazz, classical, also includes Drum and Bass ( liquid, ragga, ), 2Step UK Garage, Chicago Juke/Footwork , Pre commercialized Dubstep circa 2004-2010, then it becomes really apparent that the 802's can keep up where the 801's have a bit more "BOOM" but missed some hits on kicks and snares. Those hyper beat/hyper bass based genres aside. The 801's can do chamber music like you're sitting in the room with the players themselves. Esperanza Spaulding, Norah Jones, Aruan Ortiz, Lake Street Dive.. couldn't sound better on either model.

the other thing to consider is that YOU may have space, but if you decide to move up the ladder and go to move them along, the next person might have space and spousal approval limitations to contend with. Just a small consideration to add .

I have to agree. I've owned the 802/3 and had the 801/3 in the showroom (back when I was in this more seriously w/a partner). The points made by Boston are correct. I'll add that the 802 is a much more "home listening room" friendly speaker, the 801 is a large studio monitor at its heart. It needs a perfect room to be at its best. We were able to set the pair we had in up with a pretty high performance amp, pre and front end, including a Voyd dual motor TT. It was an other worldly experience, but the room was set up for the best sound only. Not very livable, (still speaking about the 801/3 here).
I took the 802/3's home. Recommendation for the 802/3.

802's, to my ears = tighter bass. - I wouldn't discount them in the decision. 801's are Iconic and the model that B&W got more press on but I've found (based on my personal listening) that the 802's just had a bit more snap on the kick drums , which might not be noticeable if you're listening to most genre's but when someone's listening taste extends beyond Jazz, classical, also includes Drum and Bass ( liquid, ragga, ), 2Step UK Garage, Chicago Juke/Footwork , Pre commercialized Dubstep circa 2004-2010, then it becomes really apparent that the 802's can keep up where the 801's have a bit more "BOOM" but missed some hits on kicks and snares. Those hyper beat/hyper bass based genres aside. The 801's can do chamber music like you're sitting in the room with the players themselves. Esperanza Spaulding, Norah Jones, Aruan Ortiz, Lake Street Dive.. couldn't sound better on either model.

the other thing to consider is that YOU may have space, but if you decide to move up the ladder and go to move them along, the next person might have space and spousal approval limitations to contend with. Just a small consideration to add .
This is spot on... Mirrors my experience exactly, so I have nothing else to add.

I don't disagree with the above posts. While the 802s bass is tight with proper placement and amps to drive them, they don't reach as far low as the 801s. Hence I use a SW for a touch of LF weight with my 802s.

Back
Top Bottom