B&W 801 Series 80

canuckaudiog

On a quest for high fidelity
Hey all,
A pair of these cropped up somewhat close to me for $1,000 CAD.

Shape is a little on the rough side. They'll need some touching up, but they look like they'll clean up decently.

Drivers all work except for one tweeter. According to the owner:
"If you zoom in on the pictures you may see the small wire on the left side of one tweeter is disconnected. I took my other head unit to a fellow in Calgary to fix with the same issue, not realizing they both suffered the same affliction.

Cheap and quick fix."

Yes, the picture does show a disconnected tweeter wire. He said the other tweeter suffered the same problem and was an easy fix. Could be a crapshoot however and may need a new tweeter.

That said, what do you guys think of the valuation? Priced too high, just right, or low? Also, does anyone have any thoughts on how these would compare to my B&W Matrix 3 Series 2s? I feel like the 801s should be better but they are older, and do not have the Matrix cabinets.

I sold mine locally to an AKer recently for $1,000.
They were in very good aesthetic condition and 100% functionally.
In a more competitive environment I might have expected to get a little more.
I'd pass on these.

I sold mine locally to an AKer recently for $1,000.
They were in very good aesthetic condition and 100% functionally.
In a more competitive environment I might have expected to get a little more.
I'd pass on these.

Thanks pfcs49. That's what I've decided to do. He sent me additional pictures showing some damage to the top of the cabinet underneath the head on one, and unfortunately that was a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom