B & W Pics

The first shot is a B&W Polaroid that I thought was a more effective shot than the 35mm color shot of the same scene. Despite the title, it's a shot of Dubrovnik, taken from atop the eastern wall to the farmland outside the old city.

The second is from a Roman catacombs museum. The black and white brings out the contrast between the statue and the back wall which was insufficiently contrasty in color. This would have been taken with a Pentax Spotmatic F on Tri-X.

Formia.jpg

catacombs.jpg

Last edited:
Wall Mural

I shot this in color as well using my 4x5 Wista DX camera. The wall itself was about 50 ft long and about 14 ft high but only shot an isolated segment. This shot was on Kodak T-Max 100 4x5 film. This scan is from a contact sheet.

Attachments

• Wall Mural.jpg
    Wall Mural.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 82
I shot this in color as well using my 4x5 Wista DX camera. The wall itself was about 50 ft long and about 14 ft high but only shot an isolated segment. This shot was on Kodak T-Max 100 4x5 film. This scan is from a contact sheet.

The rough border from the contact print actually adds to this, I think. Have you had any thoughts about "I might have cropped it less in the camera" (or more)?

New shots...

Attachments

• DSC_4912b_edited-2.jpg
    DSC_4912b_edited-2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_5040bw.jpg
    DSC_5040bw.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_4971bw.jpg
    DSC_4971bw.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_5409bw.jpg
    DSC_5409bw.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 45
The Titanic Memorial in Washington DC. I have re-visited this many times. This is digital (Nikon D80) with a bit of post work done in PictureIt:

StatueCU2.jpg

C.

Good shots subwoofwoof! I especially like the one of the bridge with fog in it. Gives it good atmosphere. :thmbsp:

Still Life

Examples I shot earlier today to illustrate to my students on doing some simple still life shots without fancy equipment. These were photographed using a simple Olympus point & shoot mounted on a tripod. Lighting was provided with natural light coming in through the kitchen windows. No flash but the exposure times were about 1 second with the camera set on "program" and aperture wide open.

There is the misconception by many who think you have to have expensive and professional type equipment to achieve professional looking results. I keep telling them that it is nice to have such equipment but not always necessary.

The images were converted into black and white using Photoshop and some good old fashion burning-in to dramatize and emphasize the subject matter.

Attachments

• Apples, Black and White AK Upload.jpg
    Apples, Black and White AK Upload.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Forks, Black and White, Resized, AK Upload.jpg
    Forks, Black and White, Resized, AK Upload.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Pioneer,

Nice, classic still life work.

I couldn't agree more with you about window lighting.
We get a load of it every day.
A decent window, a pair of sticks, and you have all the free softbox lighting you could want.

Won't work for every situation, but it sure works for many. :thmbsp:

Claus.

Here is another example shot on my kitchen table with just window light a couple hours ago. This time I used an Olympus E520 DSLR to capture the image.
Some slight manipulations using CS2.

Attachments

• Black and White, 72 dpi.jpg
    Black and White, 72 dpi.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 40
Nice contast in that shot. How do you like the E520? I'm thinking about upgrading from my E300. Although I really like the quality of the shots I get from it, the newer models have a few more features that I like. I'll probably sell my Nikon D70 outfit to finance the purchase of a newer Olympus.

A recent one of mine- I'll dig up some favorites by my wife's father & grandfather soon.

je

Attachments

• IMG_1600BW (Large).jpg
    IMG_1600BW (Large).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 41
Nice contast in that shot. How do you like the E520? I'm thinking about upgrading from my E300. Although I really like the quality of the shots I get from it, the newer models have a few more features that I like. I'll probably sell my Nikon D70 outfit to finance the purchase of a newer Olympus.

I'm liking the E520 and the 4/3 format. The camera performs without a hitch and is fun and easy to use.

Examples I shot earlier today to illustrate to my students on doing some simple still life shots without fancy equipment. These were photographed using a simple Olympus point & shoot mounted on a tripod. Lighting was provided with natural light coming in through the kitchen windows. No flash but the exposure times were about 1 second with the camera set on "program" and aperture wide open.

There is the misconception by many who think you have to have expensive and professional type equipment to achieve professional looking results. I keep telling them that it is nice to have such equipment but not always necessary.

The images were converted into black and white using Photoshop and some good old fashion burning-in to dramatize and emphasize the subject matter.

Fine work. Luscious apple.

With all the great work here, I'm a bit hesitant to post mine, but here's one made worthwhile because of its backstory. This is the photo we displayed at our wedding reception where guests signed the mat. With both of us being big into movies (if you couldn't guess from the pics of our basement cinema ;) ), many of our details were movie-related, such as Scarlett and Rhett on top of the cake, chocolate Oscar statues favors, and centerpieces made of film reels and votive candles wrapped in colorful movie film.

In keeping with the theme, I took this picture of Mr. "Indian Head" and myself in the style of Hollywood's Golden Age using the self timer on the Pentax 67II. I developed the film and printed the 11x14 myself. I was going for something in the style of George Hurrell, and got close enough for anyone who saw it that day. :D

Glamour24.jpg

Back
Top Bottom