B & W Pics

35342844634_1286cb606f_c.jpg

35245494123_2f511c8b12_z.jpg

Aries 35 IIIC. Heavy, brass bodied rangefinder from short lived Japanese camera manufacture Aries. It works, but the leaf shutter is slow.
Photo: Sony NEX-5N + handheld Bell & Howell 51mm, f1.2 projector lens

Pentax MG w/ 50mm, f1.7 lens. I paid $4.95 for it a local thrift store. It's missing the wind lever cover, but it works perfectly.

36764306225_104141f95d_z.jpg

I think I have lenses for that camera. Is it an M42 mount?

No, it's a Pentax K Mount. You can use your M42 lenses on a mirrorless digital camera like the Sony NEX/A bodies. The photo of the Pentax MG was taken with my Sony NEX-5N and a Yashinon 50mm, f1.7 lens - very similar to the Pentax 50mm on the MG in the photo.

No, it's a Pentax K Mount. You can use your M42 lenses on a mirrorless digital camera like the Sony NEX/A bodies. The photo of the Pentax MG was taken with my Sony NEX-5N and a Yashinon 50mm, f1.7 lens - very similar to the Pentax 50mm on the MG in the photo.

I inherited a photo schools old lens collection. I might have that mount too. I will look.

Oh, I shoot Fuji mirrorless too.

East Oahu sunrise from last weekend.

A rush and a push... by Mark Y, on Flickr
I've been thinking of getting a 10 stop Neutral Density filter to try for some photos like yours. I found out something I think is really cool about taking them in raw. If you shoot in raw, you can shoot the photo using the camera's (Nikon D7100 in my case) black and white mode so that you see the result as black and white on the camera. Because it is shot in raw, all the colour infomation is captured in the file too. Since my camera takes two SD cards, I am going to get another card for jpg copies to be written to card slot two too. Whoo hoo!

Lens test with an Argus Sandmar 35mm f4.5

37482161870_85da8f1e2f_z.jpg

I just bought another lens adapter for my Sony NEX-5N. This one is for Argus C3 mount lenses - the famous "Brick." I have a few of them, but I really bought the adapter to use with an accessory lens that was made for the C3: Argus Sandmar 35mm, f4.5. They were made in Germany by Enna-Werk, Munchen in the early1950s. This lens has beautiful soft shadowing and tends to flair around light sources, so it's a perfect lens for B&W conversions.

Which brand of adapter did you get for that Argus lens?

It's from a company called RareAdapters. It's nice as the C3 lenses aren't meant to be focused from the lens barrel. Instead, they are gear driven to a thumbwheel on top of the camera (part of the rangefinder mechanism.) The RareAdapter adapter has a secondary focusing ring which makes focusing the C3 lenses much easier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom