B & W Pics

Chillwolf, Like the Blue Ridge Mtn one alot. Did you push up the contrast or metered for the sky? Or a bit of both?

I guess the camera metered for the sky, that's why the foliage in the foreground is dark. I have a custom setup in gradient mapping in PS that I developed to convert my color shots to B&W with one click.

Here is the original shot in color.

P8335417.jpg

Oohh! I like that one too alot! :thmbsp:

It's like a zone shot in reverse, forefront 9, then 8, then 7 then so on.

Last edited:
One more color to B&W conversion

4857694323_5b20b8e52c_b.jpg

Looking at this, trying to figure out what about it I liked - then realized it's a few degrees off plumb, giving that extra raked angle to the truck. Deliberate or happenstance, I like it.

Here are some I recently shot and converted to B&W. Taken at Afton Mtn. overlook on the way to Charlottesville one morning.

P3020830.jpg

P3020831.jpg

P23020828.jpg

P3020832.jpg

why last? I really like this pic.
.....I don't know, Zeromancer, I just have always felt an attitude of ho-hum from B&W's....but I'm beginning to gain an appreciation for the composition of them over the shots ya'll are posting....it has to come from the composition thereof, 'cause there ain't no purdy colors....that's my view, anyway.....

All three show consideration for the final composition and tone!

My opinions ONLY:

First: Beautiful tone.
Second - the tilt is really jarring, to me.
Third: Great example of how the dark overall tone brings out the shininess of the rails.

All three show consideration for the final composition and tone!

My opinions ONLY:

First: Beautiful tone.
Second - the tilt is really jarring, to me.
Third: Great example of how the dark overall tone brings out the shininess of the rails.

Thanks for the comments but what do mean by "tilt" in the 2nd pic ? I`m not familiar with this term in photography .

Thanks for the comments but what do mean by "tilt" in the 2nd pic ? I`m not familiar with this term in photography .

The angle of the shot. Maybe just an optical illusion, but the vertical girders are leaning to the left.

Never really did much with black and white before so I'm kinda winging it here...a B&W conversion at our boat launch in the morning.

DSC_6474b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom