B112D Active Speaker 1000W????

Brinait

I recently purchased a pair of these speakers. I've not yet powered them up.

I note they are rated to 1000W, and the specifications state that thats 300W to the tweeter and 700W to the Woofer. It uses a Class D amplifier, and a switched mode power supply

the sales literature show a graph of input (mains) to output power efficiency comparing the Class D amp with a conventional Class A amp, which shows wattages from 1 Watt to 100Watts

The plate on the rear of the speaker clearly states it's power consumption (from mains) is 110W.

have Behringer found some miraculous way of getting 1000W of electrical output power from 100W of input https://waveadvice.com/1000-watt-amplifiers/ ? this would solve the worlds looming energy crisis! This would enable us to reduce our greenhouse emissions by 90%

this would permit the development of perpetual motion machines...

but back in the real world methinks their marketing department are getting creative with how the define a Watt!!!!

Pro-Audio equipment is normally rated in Watts RMS. there is an international standard that defines that a piece of kit must be capable of running a "simulated Music Signal" of band limited pink noise (to the frequency range of the device), with a crest factor of 10 for 8 hours without being damaged.

a crest factor of 10 represents 10 dB of head room for transient peaks.
in a 100W amp and speaker, a crest factor of 10 means it can tolerate transient peaks which would produce 1000W instantaneous input from the amplifier to the speaker.

That is therefor a 100W RMS device, consuming 110W electrical power, with lots of headroom for transients.

rule by which to interpret headline specifications: If it doesn't say RMS after a claimed wattage the figure is nonsense. "Peak" has a defined meaning, and "PMPO" is often quotes but is not clearly defined the true RMS wattage of such systems can often be 1/10 - 1/100 of the claimed value.

I expect this nonsense in domestic all in one "hifi" systems - not in semi-pro audio equipment!

Back
Top Bottom