B2

Thats a very clean early B2 Mark, great looking Amp !

I very biased with B2, for an amp to run 35 years to what is minimal service is incredible, yes, the input selector switch gets a bit noisy, and the relays played up.
The mains switch arc out and a couple of lamps failed.
That’s not a bad testimony to Yamaha’s B2 build quality
Thanks, I cleaned it top to bottom after buying it former AK'er Yamaha B-2. Then it was refurbished by EchoWars, including replacing the 4 large filter caps.

It's a very fine sounding amp.

Avionic your in box is full, B2 N channel
FET 2SK43 is available where I recently bought M2 output transistors.
Head over to HB electronics (800)8486888
Cost $2.49

Vintage you pointed me in the right direction with the choice of LEDs
Thankyou, Slightly yellow colour, absolutely great ! your help saved a lot of try and see.

In relation to the 2SK43 FET in the B2 input stage, Japanese techs that are restoring B2’s, haven’t mentioned that these were impossible to get, in fact they are fitting new 2SK43’s to the drive boards in complete rebuilds.
Sony was the biggest manufacturer of these, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that what turns up in the order
I’ve had a very good record with parts from HB electronics in the States.
I have purchased over the years Nakamichi ,Sony,Yamaha, and other semiconductors that have been unavailable, or limited supply.

Please study this pic and tell me what you think ?
Are these 2SJ26A and 2SK76A exactly the same case size ?

Last edited:
One of the only B2's external differences apart of silver face model

Difference in ground terminal type, one has the thumb screw and the other a philips screw and the absence of the signed label by "S OKAMOTO"

Last edited:
Please study this pic and tell me what you think ?
Are these 2SJ26A and 2SK76A exactly the same case size ?

Interestingly enough I have a B-2 with a no mica blue heat sink, a B-2 with a no mica black heat sink, and a B-2 with a mica and black heat sink. The blue and the black have non A V-FET's and the black with micas are the A parts. All have been reconditioned to spec and to my ears sound superbly identical.

Before and after V-FET reconditioning pix of B-2 #2 blue non A V-FET's which I got on the cheap as a spares unit because of shipping damage to the original buyer who was afraid to power it on and no longer wanted it. After an insurance adjustment the seller re-listed it as a parts unit at 10% of the original selling price. As it turned out there was no damage to the electronics only some minor chassis bendage that I was able to straighten out ... mostly. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:tresbon:

Attachments

• B-2 J K Non A 01.jpg
    B-2 J K Non A 01.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 157
  • B2 2 L Ch 02.jpg
    B2 2 L Ch 02.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 156
  • B2 2 L Ch 21.jpg
    B2 2 L Ch 21.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 156
  • B2 2 L Ch 05.jpg
    B2 2 L Ch 05.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 154
Parts unit

Vint Age, a parts unit for 10% of the original asking price ?!! Now I call that a score :yes:

In the past, I've bought a second unit (AU-919, for example) in case I needed the unoptainium output transistors. But that was at full price although it is also playable and in great shape.

But 10% ? Thumbs up fellow :thmbsp:

Happy listening,
John

Vint Age, a parts unit for 10% of the original asking price ?!! Now I call that a score :yes:

In the past, I've bought a second unit (AU-919, for example) in case I needed the unoptainium output transistors. But that was at full price although it is also playable and in great shape.

But 10% ? Thumbs up fellow :thmbsp:

Happy listening,
John

Thanks John! B-2 #2 has been providing me with happy listening off and on now for nearly 4 years and B-2 #1 for 6. I had similar good luck with my B-1 but I had to work a little harder to bring it back up to spec ... but that's for another thread. :D

To each their own but IMHO the B-2 is the finest sounding amp I've ever heard. Albeit I haven't listened to very many modern "hi end" amps; I haven't wanted to since I found the B-2.

Yes, you did well Vintage and looks good too!

Yamaha Service Note 39 explains the Main Radiator coating to model No's

Mica used from serial No' 4249

Last edited:
Sony original packaged 2SK43,Should be good FET, I'll test the IDSS, when I get a chance and see how they shape up vrs the originals

Last edited:
VFET production in Japan

2SJ18/2SK60 (Sony)
2SJ20 / 2SK70 (NEC) - also there is an A version (higher maximum voltages)
2SK75 (YAMAHA) - there is also a 2SJ25 which not an exact complementary (same voltage and current limits but different amplification factor), never used in any Yamaha product.
2SJ26 / 2SK76 (YAMAHA) - A versions used in later B2 and all B3 amps.
2SK77 (YAMAHA) - there is also a 2SJ27 complementary part, never used in any product.
2SJ24 / 2SK78 (YAMAHA)
2SK79 (SONY) also 2SK63 is the same but older version in a metal case
2SJ28 / 2SK82 (SONY)
2SJ29 / 2SK89 (HITACHI)
2SJ38 / 2SK98 (YAMAHA) - these are low voltage parts and will not replace J26/K76.
2SK180/181/182(E) (TOKIN)

To each their own but IMHO the B-2 is the finest sounding amp I've ever heard. Albeit I haven't listened to very many modern "hi end" amps; I haven't wanted to since I found the B-2.
The B-2 is a special amp. How fortunate that such a great sounding amp was made in large numbers and is so durable.

It's a true music lovers amp.

Last edited:
I regard myself as fortunate to have had a system comprising of the PX-2/C2x/B-2. Damn nice gear. I didn't find myself as impressed with the line stage of the C2x, as much as I was with then phono preamp, which I really liked.

I know that timofred who ended-up with all of them, likes them as much as I did.

I can't make up my mind if the B-2 sounds the best or the MX-2000 does. Isn't life difficult at times? :D

Seriously, I feel fortunate to have discovered Yamaha and found some nice keepers from the past.

Happy listening:music:
John

I can't make up my mind if the B-2 sounds the best or the MX-2000 does. Isn't life difficult at times? :D

Seriously, I feel fortunate to have discovered Yamaha and found some nice keepers from the past.

Happy listening:music:
John

Yes it is:music: Switching from one yamaha set to another, I might have found musical nirvana.....A recapped C4 with a recapped B2:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom