BA 3000 Repair?

Nimo

I've had a BA3000 for 15 years and until recently its worked perfectly. A few months ago the power/protector began cycling every couple of seconds (green to red and back) but the problem disappeared after a day or so. It's back now, and much worse. Not being an experienced audiophile, I've got the following quesitons:
1. Does anyone recognize the problem and know the likely cause?
2. Can anyone recommend a reputable place to send it for repair in the Northeast U.S.? (I live in a small town in Maine without much expertise available.)
3. What would be a reasonable amount to put into the unit? I've seen one advertised on-line for about $1200 but I'm wondering if this may be the beginning of more problems.

I appreciate whatever advice I can get.

- Mark

with a good repair it should be working for a long time again. and if it cost you 400$ or something, do it. you can't find anything better anyway ...

Nimo, first off welcome to AK!! You have one of the finest made by Sansui in that time from the Definition series...... is it worth fixing--you bet!!! As to who, well I'm gonna let someone else chime in here whos closer with some knowledge of repair techs in your area.......

Protection circuitry needs a rebuild (most likely a lazy transistor). Common thing, and not a big deal.

Stereo Surgeons is in NJ (or something like that). Beyond that, pack it 'n ship it to dr*audio in Ohio, or myself in Kansas City.

EchoWars said:
Protection circuitry needs a rebuild (most likely a lazy transistor). Common thing, and not a big deal.

Stereo Surgeons is in NJ (or something like that). Beyond that, pack it 'n ship it to dr*audio in Ohio, or myself in Kansas City.

Nimo, hope you see this, you have just been given the offer to have two of the best look after yer baby!!!!! EW worked on my BA 5000 and let me tell you it was no prize when he got it...... its a wonderful thing what he did for my amp, better then bloody new!!!!! Doc audio's work is = infamous :thmbsp:

I too am having a problem with one of my Sansui BA-3000's that is driving me nuttier than I already am. Mine blew a power transistor so I decided to replace all of them with new MJ21195G's and MJ21196G's. It now acts like everything is fixed but before putting the amp back in service I noticed that I don't have the 35 volts. It now has +2.6 volts at the positive testing point and -.6 volts at the negative testing point. The amp will allow me to set the bias but it seems to keep increasing for about an hour before it settles in. I can also balance the speakers like I should be able to do. I just can NOT find the problem causing me to lose the 35 volt section. I could use some help if someone out there has had this same problem.

I too am having a problem with one of my Sansui BA-3000's that is driving me nuttier than I already am. Mine blew a power transistor so I decided to replace all of them with new MJ21195G's and MJ21196G's. It now acts like everything is fixed but before putting the amp back in service I noticed that I don't have the 35 volts. It now has +2.6 volts at the positive testing point and -.6 volts at the negative testing point. The amp will allow me to set the bias but it seems to keep increasing for about an hour before it settles in. I can also balance the speakers like I should be able to do. I just can NOT find the problem causing me to lose the 35 volt section. I could use some help if someone out there has had this same problem.

Might want to move this to a new thread... however did you replace the pre-drivers on the driver boards? They are known to flake out.

Back
Top Bottom