BA thread, Hi my name is Outlaw, and I I'm a Bose owner...

outlawmws

On the Run
It keeps happening. Every time I get the house to a BFZ (Bose Free Zone). I find one cheap at a thrift, and bring it home. I realize what I've done and Epay it off to some unsuspecting Maroon on Epay. I know, I'm evil. But since they haven’t realized how degrading it is to their listening room, they can't be helped. They have to want to help themselves... :withstpd:

Maintain your BFZ!

Friends don't let friends do Bose!

BTW anyone need a single Bose 141 bookshelf? I have one for sale!

Remember, Bose Reputation, Bose Quality, What more can I say?

Does any one else want to say a few words and introduce thenselves?

[sits down]

Hi

My names Don and I love Bose. I just cant get enough of them. Fact I will take any an all you guys want to sell. I pay top buck for them too !

Reformed

Hi, my name is oldschool and I swore off the Bose about 8 years ago. Everyday is a struggle. Whenever I see a tweeter or mid-range, I flashback to a Bose full range. I know some people only think of a two-way or three-way, well how about when it takes an eight-way or sixteen-way to satisfy you :no: . Yes....it got that bad. My story... sad, but true.

Its good that you guys are getting this horrible thing off your chests :thmbsp:

Now go chase down that white van, I think they are looking for you :D

/d

Hello. My name is...

Chris.

I am a bose owner. It's been three years since my last bose. I have TWO pairs of bose hidden away, just in case the shakes get too bad...

Actually, I DO have two pairs. Ancient 501s and less-ancient 901s.
Stay with me here: The 501s have been rebuilt using Peerless 10"s, 2" mids and 1" tweets. They don't suck anymore. The 901s are in storage, waiting...

Here's my idea for the 901s, although I haven't removed the grills yet to find out what it's going to entail:
- First, switch the front and rear around so the majority of drivers are facing FORWARD. Novel concept, I know.
- Second, throw away that silly 'equalization' box. Better yet dismantle it, save the box and hardware, throw away the internals. That's already done.
- Install a 1" tweeter in the new front baffle. Surround it with decent mids that fit in the existing openings (any sugggestions?) Wire the mids series/parallel to maintain reasonable impedance.
- Install a woofer in the new rear baffle. As big as I can find to fit (8"? 10"?). Barring that, install another mid.
- Make a LR second-order three-way x-over (with rear woofer) or two-way (with rear mid) to drive the whole thing.

I like Peerless drivers for this, since they're reasonably priced and decent quality. Maybe spring for Vifa's fancy concentric dome tweeters; they have great range.

End use? Who knows? Garage/workshop, or office maybe. Our office is a large-ish warehouse-type place, so a dispersed pattern would be good.

Or do these speakers suck too much to even bother with? All suggestions appreciated...

c.

cc_rider said:
Chris.

I am a bose owner. It's been three years since my last bose. I have TWO pairs of bose hidden away, just in case the shakes get too bad...

Actually, I DO have two pairs. Ancient 501s and less-ancient 901s.
Stay with me here: The 501s have been rebuilt using Peerless 10"s, 2" mids and 1" tweets. They don't suck anymore. The 901s are in storage, waiting...

Here's my idea for the 901s, although I haven't removed the grills yet to find out what it's going to entail:
- First, switch the front and rear around so the majority of drivers are facing FORWARD. Novel concept, I know.
- Second, throw away that silly 'equalization' box. Better yet dismantle it, save the box and hardware, throw away the internals. That's already done.
- Install a 1" tweeter in the new front baffle. Surround it with decent mids that fit in the existing openings (any sugggestions?) Wire the mids series/parallel to maintain reasonable impedance.
- Install a woofer in the new rear baffle. As big as I can find to fit (8"? 10"?). Barring that, install another mid.
- Make a LR second-order three-way x-over (with rear woofer) or two-way (with rear mid) to drive the whole thing.

I like Peerless drivers for this, since they're reasonably priced and decent quality. Maybe spring for Vifa's fancy concentric dome tweeters; they have great range.

End use? Who knows? Garage/workshop, or office maybe. Our office is a large-ish warehouse-type place, so a dispersed pattern would be good.

Or do these speakers suck too much to even bother with? All suggestions appreciated...

c.

A dog turd is still a dog turd even when it's inside a Baby Ruth wrapper. :cool:

Quite true, but (hopefully) this would be more of a Baby Ruth inside a turd wrapper. Turd wrapper? Turd rapper? Waxing scatological now, aren't we?

FYI, one of our little jokes around the office regards 'polishing a turd', which we seem to do too often around here. Similar in concept to that plastic stuff Pontiac puts all over their cars...

c.

A: Floaters are turds that have an unusually high gas content. Sometimes the gases produced by bacteria in our gut don't have a chance to collect into a large fart bubble, but remain dispersed in the feces. The poop then comes out foamy, and has a lower density than water. Poop with a high fat content will also float.

Dave918 said:
A: Floaters are turds that have an unusually high gas content. Sometimes the gases produced by bacteria in our gut don't have a chance to collect into a large fart bubble, but remain dispersed in the feces. The poop then comes out foamy, and has a lower density than water. Poop with a high fat content will also float.

My GOD!!!! :yikes:

You've just discovered Bose's most important secret - This is how they manufacture their driver cone material! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I am a Bose lover.

I have a munchkin sized pecker.......BUT...........

I have 5 VERY powerful motorcycles. 3 Corvettes. 2 pick-up trucks with really big tires (I live in the city). 4 Rottweilers, 6 Dobermans, and a Pit Bull. I wear the jersey of whatever football team is at the top of the heap, AND a New York Yankee's baseball hat. I don't help my wife around the house, and I have Bose 901's. I am a man.

Toasted Almond said:
I am a Bose lover.

I have a munchkin sized pecker.......BUT...........

I have 5 VERY powerful motorcycles. 3 Corvettes. 2 pick-up trucks with really big tires (I live in the city). 4 Rottweilers, 6 Dobermans, and a Pit Bull. I wear the jersey of whatever football team is at the top of the heap, AND a New York Yankee's baseball hat. I don't help my wife around the house, and I have Bose 901's. I am a man.

I like the delicate sound of Martin-Logan's

I met my wife in a Buddist temple: Other women were there praying for a man with one or two dragons tatooed on his chest or arms. She was praying for a man with one dragon on the ground. I was that man. :banana:

I have a moped, a matchbox model of a 'Vette, a 1968 Datsun pick-up truck, 3 Affinpinschers, 2 Toy Poodles, and a Mexican Hairless. And I dress like Richard Simmons. I am a MAN's man!

When I was in high school, I kept hanging around a stereo shop where I bought my gear. They sold Boses. So one day the salesman takes me and a friend into the listening room, closes the doors, and starts playing some 901s. Even the salesman didn't like them; he didn't get to pick what brands to sell. He looked absolutely embarassed, admitting they sounded lousy and had no clue why people bought them... and this was in 1978! His other recommendations to me (TEAC A-100, lived until 1996; Technics SA-222, still have and packed away in the basement!) were far better.
Tom

I've had a funny time with Bose. About 10 years ago when I had 0 experience with actual stereos and lived in tiny places I lusted after Bose equipment, and the only reason I did not purchase any was because it was out of my financial ability to do so.

About five years ago when I first started playing around with stereo, I stopped in to one of their showrooms they maintain in outlet malls (that should have been a clue). The salesperson did this demo for me, to show the superiority of the Bose system. One part of the demo involved listening for certain differences between the systems Bose offered at the time, to see what more of your hard-earned dollar bought you. I seriously could not tell much of a difference between many of their models, much to the consternation of the salesperson.

This year, I actually had my first objective experience with a Bose system. I'd been over to people's houses that had them, but never had the chance to seriously evaluate them for one reason or another. But recently, a non-audiophile friend of mine has started getting the itch to see what this madness is all about. He uses a Bose system in his living room, mainly because it was given to him, and with two small kids and a smallish house he uses them out of convienience. He uses a Bose sub and two sats. I don't know the model number, but the cubes are the larger type. The sub has output for 5 speakers, but he's running 2. When you sit on his couch, all of the equipment is in front of you, about 12 feet away. When I visit, we usually drink beer (the best system tweak), bitch about life, and listen to music. He's in to world and reagge, and I enjoy visiting because he's always listening to stuff that would otherwise be off my radar.

So, one day I bring a pair of A/D/S/ L300 over. The medium sized "aluminum can" with a 5.25 inch or so woofer and a dome tweeter. Not a very large speaker, also a bit older like my friend's Bose. In a listening session the results (for me, at least) were staggering. The Bose had NO MIDRANGE. I mean, there were guitar parts that you could hear clear as day on the L300s, that were NOT THERE on the bose. If you could hear them at all, they sounded like they were part of the background! It was like someone went and made a "smiley face" on an EQ. The Bose system went much lower, and much louder in the low freq, but if this would have been a totally fair test the L300s should have had at least some in-line passive subwoofer like the Bose did (ADS actually made such a thing, but they are rare and I don't have one). I did not hook up the L300s in place of the Bose sats, for fear of blowing one, the other, or both up. My friend liked the high end of the Bose more, and I liked the ADS. He thought the Bose "had more sparkle", I thought anything brighter than the already bright (IMHO) and very detailed ADS tweeter could also be used to peel paint off of walls, and to stun cockroaches. Frankly, I found it overly bright and "tizzy".

The system sounded "best" to him (I cringe to use that term) when he played both sets of speakers at the same time. He wanted to explore the possibility of buying the L300s, or another conventional bookshelf speaker to reinforce the mids of his system. I told him to ditch the Bose, and if you're married to the sub/sat combo get some smallish "sat" speakers (like the L300s, or whatever) and a smallish powered sub. This was 6 months ago, and he's still with the Bose (with no "extra help"), but he's asking questions that make me think he's starting to wonder...

Back
Top Bottom