Baby Advent II speakers review

chingon

Before getting rid of a few speaker sets and amps, I thought I'd review some for posterity. This one being the Baby Advent II review.

The speaker is an unported design and sits at 16.5" tall X 11" wide and 6" deep. Not a space hog by any means and the shallowness of them makes them sit nicely on small tables and bookshelfs. The woofer size is 6.5'" with a .75" tweeter. Construction is of black formica covered medium density MDF; with what seems like pecan or oak top and bottom ends. Mine were stained a teak-kind of color and have since sanded them smooth to their natural color thinking I would stain them differently (I enjoyed the distress light color so left them that way). The drivers are unshielded. Overall good looks and perhaps high WAF factor.

How do they sound?

Using my unmodified (stock 60's amp) magnavox console pull, they rate well in mids and highs, vocals and jazz stand above the average speaker. In all honestly I was surprised that they'd play this way seeing how they're mildly inefficient (89 db) and my amp is a SET that puts out 4-5 watts in brand new trim. Rated at 50 watts RMS they enjoyed the tube amp just fine.

There is no problem filling a small to medium sized room with my amplifier and were obviously louder with my NAD 3400 which has more overhead. The bass is fair for a speaker this size (remember 6.5" drivers with 6" depth) and lags behind in the lower frequencies. It pales against my spicas tc-50s (8" woofer) which are not known for having great bass, but rather as an all-around performer. I will say however that the Advent's looks and unakward footprint is well above the spica's, not to mention the tendency the spicas have to clip said amp w/any significant volume.

An all around performer that will satisfy most. With its handsome and trim profile, they are great for those space-conscious buyers looking to match their small and low powered amps without taking up the whole computer desk, kitchen cabinet, or garage wall.

Pro's:
Looks
Size
Ability to play well with low power (It faired very well with my tube amp)
highs
mids

Cons:
Bass is lacking. While not lackluster, some users will definitely always want more.
Speaker terminas are spring loaded push-type

Specs:

Freq response: (+/- 3dB): 60Hz – 21KHz
Impedance: 6 ohms nominal
Power Handling: 50 watts RMS, 150 watts peak
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Crossover freq: 4500 Hz
Woofer: 6.5 “, Tweeter: .75" Mylar dome

attachment.php

Attachments

• baby advent ii.jpg
    baby advent ii.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,567
Last edited:
Thanks for the review! I have a guy locally selling a set on the cheap, so I'm going to give them a quick listen and buy them with help from this review!

I really like the Baby IIs, 25+ years on. Currently I have mine paired with one of my TPA3116 amp builds in our dining room. They play very well at low volumes with the chip amp and a good source. As mentioned in the review, their narrow footprint can be a real plus..."decent bass for not much space."

Thanks for this! I got a free but banged up pair of them (unsold after a friend's church rummage sale) and am bringing them back -- new woofer surrounds and new speaker cloth so far, with just the wood pieces to go. Then I need to figure out what to do with them/where to put them.

Baby Advent II is a good sounding speaker, punches above it's weigh for sure. can be had cheap though they will usually need a refoam (mine did). thanks for the review.

About the time I thought them small enough, then came the Mini Advents with the 5.5" woofers! With some modification I did manage to get them to sound better.

Thanks for your review- now I will know what to expect should I be able to find them. Advent do make some consistently good speakers.
DC

New Large Advents

I seen the Baby Advents when they were new many years ago. I didn't know too much about Advents speakers back then. I've owned several pairs of Cerwin Vega for the bass handling. Now just recently this year i was given a pair of New Advent Large speakers for free. They seem to have had new surrounds repaired on them. They are a 2-way design 10" woofer and appears to be a 4" fried egg called tweeter. They have a warm sound and nice bass "deep". In the back it has a crossover control toggle. I keep it in "normal" position. I read these were the new version of the original 1969 Large Advents with newer crossover design.

Attachments

• 2928advent800.jpg
    2928advent800.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 179
I just got a pair needing refoam for $15. They'll go out in the garage shop. Does it make any sense to just replace the woofers with a more responsive set instead of re-foaming? Or just keep the factory setup? Mulling it over, advice appreciated.

Last time I was in a local thrift store there was one sitting there, I passed because it was a single, maybe I should have snagged it anyway?

Refoam on these are super easy. I have refoamed advent prodigy ii's and baby advent ii's that I refoamed myself (first attempt ever) running out of a Pioneer SX-535. Apartment setting, so volume rarely past 1 or 2 watts and they are PERFECT for that type of all day listening. Sound gets better as you listen it seems. Extremely satisfying from grunge rock to jazz. What I noticed most was the how clearly the texture of the bass guitar amps come out in the recordings. refoam 100%

If you ever run across a set of inexpensive Baby Advent I's, grab them. They tend to be a little higher on the food chain, since the cone tweeter is not as fragile, but still excellent sounding....

Last time I was in a local thrift store there was one sitting there, I passed because it was a single, maybe I should have snagged it anyway?

Damn. I just had a pair follow me home. Now having that third one would be kind of cool if someone were piecing together a surround system.

I really like the Baby IIs, 25+ years on. Currently I have mine paired with one of my TPA3116 amp builds in our dining room. They play very well at low volumes with the chip amp and a good source. As mentioned in the review, their narrow footprint can be a real plus..."decent bass for not much space."

I am so new to this, so please be kind. I just bought a pair of these speakers. I saw they are 6ohm, but was looking at a few vintage receivers on eBay that say on back, need '8+ ohm speakers'. Is it best for me to search for only 6ohm receivers to use these speakers?
Thanks

My opinion is you would be fine with an 8ohm only receiver. Coupled with an active/passive sub is a step in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom